Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Originally Posted by Lorry1

But why does everyone own a truck? what's with that?
Canada has a significant rural population. If you live in the country you have to move smelly things around, rubbish to the dump, pigs to the slaughterhouse, that sort of thing. Either you buy a trailer and hook it up to your car or, if you have to do it often, you avoid the faff by buying a truck.

Just as there's the suburban cult of the Chelsea tractor, there's the suburban cult of truck ownership, people who want to look as if they're taking rubbish to the dump or pigs to slaughter when, in fact, they're pootling between ballet and yoga. Why people in suburban Canada want to look like oiks escapes me but there they are, truck, plaid shirt, branded wellies, leggings worn as trousers; a nation moulded after a sleeve image of Shania.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 12:19 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Canada has a significant rural population. If you live in the country you have to move smelly things around, rubbish to the dump, pigs to the slaughterhouse, that sort of thing. Either you buy a trailer and hook it up to your car or, if you have to do it often, you avoid the faff by buying a truck.

Just as there's the suburban cult of the Chelsea tractor, there's the suburban cult of truck ownership, people who want to look as if they're taking rubbish to the dump or pigs to slaughter when, in fact, they're pootling between ballet and yoga. Why people in suburban Canada want to look like oiks escapes me but there they are, truck, plaid shirt, branded wellies, leggings worn as trousers; a nation moulded after a sleeve image of Shania.
Eating chicken wings covered in franks hot sauce and drinking Molson Canadian
Old Jul 31st 2015, 12:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Eating chicken wings covered in franks hot sauce and drinking Molson Canadian
Oh yes and throwing the bones and bottles out of the truck windows.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 12:57 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes and throwing the bones and bottles out of the truck windows.
Well I haven't seen that, lots of trucks with empty bottles rattling around in them
Old Jul 31st 2015, 1:48 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I own an Accent, for fuel economy. If I had my way I would have a truck
Trust you!

Sports cars float my boat to be honest
Old Jul 31st 2015, 1:49 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 31st 2015, 1:56 pm
Happy

Trust you!

Sports cars float my boat to be honest
Yup I don't like sports cars unless they are from 1955.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 2:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Well I haven't seen that, lots of trucks with empty bottles rattling around in them
I expect I notice more due to my large frontage.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:58 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
of course you could always move to say, Belfast where the traffic isn't so bad.
Guess you haven't been to Belfast recently lol.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 7:26 am
The Brit is back

Yup I don't like sports cars unless they are from 1955.
I like them all I suddenly have a real drooling problem when I see a red Ferrari.

The problem with trucks in Canada is, everyone has one. It's that same old bland situation again where everything is the same, no change in landscape.

I like different
Old Aug 1st 2015, 4:25 pm
Happy

I like them all I suddenly have a real drooling problem when I see a red Ferrari.

The problem with trucks in Canada is, everyone has one. It's that same old bland situation again where everything is the same, no change in landscape.

I like different
I feel the same way about British housing, so ugly and so bland to me, oh and too small
Old Aug 1st 2015, 5:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same way about British housing, so ugly and so bland to me...
I wouldn't go as far as ugly, but it's certainly very samey.

The houses are one of the pluses about this town. Strip Malls, other Malls, industrial areas, marshlands...all as ugly as anywhere else. Hardly any what one might call architecture here and even the river is fugly and brown.

But strolling or cycling around and seeing so many 'cute' (for want of a better description) houses among trees is lovely.
Attached Thumbnails Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?-housestrees.jpg  
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 12:41 pm
The Brit is back

I feel the same way about British housing, so ugly and so bland to me, oh and too small
I had the big house in Canada and I don't miss it at all. Small is easier to clean

Last edited by Lorry1; Aug 2nd 2015 at 12:46 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 12:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I had the big house in Canada andd I don't miss it at all. Small is easier to clean
Not to mention cutting the grass.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 12:52 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not to mention cutting the grass.
Yes, and that!

Houses may be small here but the arcitecture on the older buildings, churches, cathedrals, castles, etc, is anything but bland.

Most people, myself included in this, move to Canada or elsewhere for the large house, the pool (which we ended up not having), the hot tub, blah blah blah, but that's all material stuff. I got over that pretty quick and realised my family and friends are more important.

My house was about 6,000 sq ft and we never used even half of it. I just ended up hating, it although it was a fab house it was far too large for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.