Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Amazon.ca is pants!

Amazon.ca is pants!

Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon.ca is pants!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Cost has been mentioned throughout the thread as well as selection.

Yet they do carry many of the same items and often cheaper.

It's worth emphasising the point so people don't carry on with the wrong impression and miss the advantage of comparison.
I'm a regular user of amazon, and order from all three places (ca, com, uk). For popular well known stuff amazon.ca is perfectly fine and mostly comparably priced. I'm not fussed about a few $$ extra either way as that's more likely the exchange rate moving than any country getting a better deal. Your kindle example is a good example of this.

Where amazon.ca falls down is on some less well know things - it either doesn't exist, or if it does is a lot more expensive. As I said up thread, this isn't necessarily amazons fault (distribution rights vary from region to region and format to format), but it's very annoying when you see something on amazon.com that isn't on amazon.ca for whatever reason and the words "we do not ship to your default location". I get this with maybe 1 in 5 times I try to buy something.

Last edited by Alan2005; Feb 1st 2013 at 4:57 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, here is a good example of what people are complaining about. I bought this a couple of weeks ago, have a guess which amazon site I used.

Amazon.ca
http://www.amazon.ca/Forwards-Egg/dp...9741500&sr=1-4

Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Forwards-The-E...e+egg+forwards
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Anyway, here is a good example of what people are complaining about. I bought this a couple of weeks ago, have a guess which amazon site I used.

Amazon.ca

Amazon.com
You used the Amazon.UK one obviously. Those 2 are merely placed as a red herring.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You used the Amazon.UK one obviously. Those 2 are merely placed as a red herring.
It's 8 quid on amazon.co.uk. I'd have got it quicker than from amazon.ca, but with shipping it would cost more.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon.ca

Amazon.com
Big price differential! Amazon UK is £8. Never heard of the group.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandBettina
Compared to amazon.co.uk. You can get most things you need or want on the UK site but here it is like an old catalogue, like Freemans, which I seem to remember had shit stuff in it too!

Oh dear, I am comparing and whingeing again!

Cheeaz,
Jim
It's just human nature to compare and you are right, it is a crock of shit!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 7:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... but it's very annoying when you see something on amazon.com that isn't on amazon.ca for whatever reason and the words "we do not ship to your default location". I get this with maybe 1 in 5 times I try to buy something.
Yep, irritating that one.

Amazon.ca

Amazon.com
Inclusive of delivery £13.64 on Canada and £10.49 on USA. £3 less. An easy choice.

But did you notice that on the Canada site, it was available on the Marketplace (New, not used) it was £5.87 inclusive of delivery but £8.25 on the USA version?

I can see a reluctance to by used items - depending what it is - but the Marketplace option does include new items.

As with other things, quite often the US marketplace site has them for less but the mailing costs via the Canada site are quite a bit less even when the item is coming from the same US supplier!!

Sometimes the cheapest price on the US or UK marketplace won't deliver to Canada (it has to say international shipping) whereas anything on market place Canada will deliver to Canada and at a Canada rate regardless of where it gets sent from.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 7:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The site has definitely got better but the selection is still shite though.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 7:47 pm

Inclusive of delivery £13.64 on Canada and £10.49 on USA. £3 less. An easy choice.
It was the 2-4 week delivery that made me look at amazon.com. The .ca price (for a CD) isn't that unreasonable and I would have paid it.

But did you notice that on the Canada site, it was available on the Marketplace (New, not used) it was £5.87 inclusive of delivery but £8.25 on the USA version?

I can see a reluctance to by used items - depending what it is - but the Marketplace option does include new items.
I have used the marketplace, but prices can be crazily variable. I also like dealing with amazon directly, and don't mind pay a bit of a premium to do so. I'll use the marketplace if it's the only option.

As with other things, quite often the US marketplace site has them for less but the mailing costs via the Canada site are quite a bit less even when the item is coming from the same US supplier!!

Sometimes the cheapest price on the US or UK marketplace won't deliver to Canada (it has to say international shipping) whereas anything on market place Canada will deliver to Canada and at a Canada rate regardless of where it gets sent from.
Yeah - it's also common problem with items where amazon is just the storefront rather than the seller. I want a moko cover for my tablet, but they won't ship to Canada
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Depending on state, its harder now to get tax free stuff from Amazon as they are slowly having to charge sales tax when shipping to certain states now.

California for instance, was tax free until last fall, now all shipments to California from Amazon have sales tax added, and several other states are the same and growing.

The days of sales tax free purchases on Amazon are coming to an end.
Yeah with Amazon, but you don't have to use Amazon. There are huge numbers of people with PO boxes just on the other side of the border who get stuff sent from company X to their PO box and then they go down to fetch it, to avoid the "customs brokerage fees".

Like I said, the trick I've found is simply to buy from companies that are GST registered in Canada, that does seem to work out cheaper than buying the same item in Canada without all the various hassle. Problem is that not many companies in the US are GST registered, but a few are.

Amazon has decided the best business model to follow is to have warehouses in every State so they can offer same day delivery, so they're willing to start charging sales tax because they have to if they're based there.

Anyway anyone who claims to "still be British" or whatever and is arguing over saving a few dollars by buying from so and so is I'm afraid really a true Canadian.

This is the true Canadian national pastime, anyone who doubts it has never been to a land border POE or a post office.

Last edited by Steve_; Feb 1st 2013 at 9:39 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:39 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I condone such things but you could have gotten it for free at

http://kat.ph/usearch/the%20egg%20forwards/

or

http://thepiratebay.se/search/the%20...orwards/0/99/0
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 12:51 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Not that I condone such things but you could have gotten it for free at

http://kat.ph/usearch/the%20egg%20forwards/

or

http://thepiratebay.se/search/the%20...orwards/0/99/0
That's brilliant!...I don't know why I didn't think of that today when I was looking on Amazon for a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM lens. Do you know of any sites where I could download one of them for free?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Welcome to Canada, eh?

What have we here? Home-grown Canadian retailing is behind the times, seemingly, compared to other parts of the world - at least that's the impression I get here in NS.
Zellers = BHS or Littlewoods c.1978?
The Bay = Debenhams c.1985
Leon's = DFS c.1992

I am not having this!!!! Its more like

Zellers = Peacocks c.1988?
The Bay = C&A c.1996
Leon's = DFS c.1992[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, and the jewelery shops stock Portobello Road Market quality

Look on the bright side though, you can ski most places,and drive a car a bit bigger than a Fiesta.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Steve_
Anyway anyone who claims to "still be British" or whatever and is arguing over saving a few dollars by buying from so and so is I'm afraid really a true Canadian.
This is so true. Only Canadians look at the prices of things and try to find the best deal. Those price comparison websites in the UK don't get many hits at all, and those are probably just from Canadian tourists.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:04 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjones
That's brilliant!...I don't know why I didn't think of that today when I was looking on Amazon for a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM lens. Do you know of any sites where I could download one of them for free?

Thanks in advance.
Wouldn't bother - Pentax is a better camera

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.