Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Amazon.ca is pants!

Amazon.ca is pants!

Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:14 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon.ca is pants!

yes because if it is shipped via UPS then they hit you for massive admin charges if you have to pay import duty.

2 buck tax turns into 40 if you are not careful
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

JimandBettina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yet people still choose to move here
Crap banking, no competition for mobile phones, crap internet shopping, expensive food prices, outrageous car insurance, expensive booze with no competition, less than ideal education standards, expensive rents for housing, really outrageous air fare prices and etc etc etc
So one has to ask why are you coming here
Mate,

Are you asking me this question or throwing it out rhetorically? I am not complaining about anything but pointing out that Amazon in Canada is crap compared to the UK. I have bought many things off the UK site, whether that be books, electronics, cameras and so on that are not even on the Canada site and received all items very quickly.

This was merely an observation based on trying to find stuff to no avail that wold have definitely been on the UK site.

My bank has been great to me.

Mobile Phone charges are ridiculous compared to UK.

Food prices are the same as UK if you look around.

Car Insurance is a f*****g rip-off.

The booze is OK and some of the beers are great, like Creemore, Alexander Keiths.

The local school has been great to my daughter and taken her on in Grade 10 even though she is 14, as she has already completed Grade 9 in UK.

Cheers,
Jim
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
That was the case but it has changed in the last few years.
Cell phone charges are ridiculously expensive. Why do you pay for incoming calls? Where is the unlimited internet (data) packages or unlimited texts.

I was recently using a simcard in the UK with 250 voice minutes, charged by the second, unlimited data and texts - all for £10 per month. You will never get that kind of service here - yet.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yet people still choose to move here
Crap banking, no competition for mobile phones, crap internet shopping, expensive food prices, outrageous car insurance, expensive booze with no competition, less than ideal education standards, expensive rents for housing, really outrageous air fare prices and etc etc etc
So one has to ask why are you coming here
+1

Put on a coat and some mittens and go out and live life.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:47 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
+1

Put on a coat and some mittens and go out and live life.
but coats are sooo expensive and unfashionable here
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
USPS is $15 billion in debt.
A big part of that is not because USPS doesn't work, but rather because they are required to pre-pay retirement benefits. It's not fair to compare based on those numbers alone.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7257462_us...benefits_.html
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
yes because if it is shipped via UPS then they hit you for massive admin charges if you have to pay import duty.
Maybe that accounts for the comparatively big difference I saw on something a few days ago. But what made me disregard that option was the overall cost rather than because it was UPS delivered.

If I paid more attention, I might see use of UPS as the reason but I am making my choice on overall cost.

A few years before I moved here I remember ordering a bunch of CDs from the US that even with cross Atlantic shipping rates the overall cost was half what they'd have cost me in the UK.

What I was getting at was whether someone making a personal purchase would make their decision based on UPS involvement (in principle if you like) when, if they looked into the overall cost, they might find it was still cheaper because of the lower base price to begin with.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandBettina
Cell phone charges are ridiculously expensive. Why do you pay for incoming calls?
I might be missing your point but I used to resent the additional cost to me of calling a mobile number in the UK compared to a land line.

It didn't seem right that someone else's decision to be called on their mobile should cost me more.

So it doesn't seem unreasonable to me for the person making the decision to have a mobile/cell phone to pay the extra cost of the call made to it.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandBettina
Mate,

Are you asking me this question or throwing it out rhetorically? I am not complaining about anything but pointing out that Amazon in Canada is crap compared to the UK. I have bought many things off the UK site, whether that be books, electronics, cameras and so on that are not even on the Canada site and received all items very quickly.

This was merely an observation based on trying to find stuff to no avail that wold have definitely been on the UK site.

My bank has been great to me.

Mobile Phone charges are ridiculous compared to UK.

Food prices are the same as UK if you look around.

Car Insurance is a f*****g rip-off.

The booze is OK and some of the beers are great, like Creemore, Alexander Keiths.

The local school has been great to my daughter and taken her on in Grade 10 even though she is 14, as she has already completed Grade 9 in UK.

Cheers,
Jim
You are not in the UK
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

We order from amazon uk. They charge for shipping but take the VAT off so doesn't work out too bad. Gets delivered quick too.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker
We order from amazon uk. They charge for shipping but take the VAT off so doesn't work out too bad. Gets delivered quick too.
What is that people are ordering from Amazon.UK that they cant get here?
Is it something they really need? Is there a Canadian equivalent?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker
If you order stuff from another country get the seller to put 'gift' on the customs ticket then you don't have to pay the sponging Canadian government their extortion money.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If you order stuff from another country get the seller to put 'gift' on the customs ticket then you don't have to pay the sponging Canadian government their extortion money.
The receipt attached saying they paid 20 quid for the item is sometimes a giveaway
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

ITT: Apologists for 'the way it is'.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You are not in the UK
I know (??????). Your point is?

PS: where in my post did I say I was in the UK?

Last edited by JimandBettina; Jan 25th 2013 at 10:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.