Reload this Page >

Amazon.ca is pants!

Amazon.ca is pants!

Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

JimandBettina is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Amazon.ca is pants!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I might be missing your point but I used to resent the additional cost to me of calling a mobile number in the UK compared to a land line.

It didn't seem right that someone else's decision to be called on their mobile should cost me more.

So it doesn't seem unreasonable to me for the person making the decision to have a mobile/cell phone to pay the extra cost of the call made to it.
You are missing the point. If someone calls me and I pick up, both parties pay. Why should I pay to receive a call from someone I may not want to speak to.

Your second point is understandable but most contracts now ave a flat rate to all outside of your network or flat ate for all calls. In fact most contracts have mega-minute free calls to alll networks.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandBettina
If someone calls me and I pick up, both parties pay. Why should I pay to receive a call from someone I may not want to speak to.
Your second point is understandable
I only made one point...I wasn't talking about the cost of the call and whoever bore it, my point was about the additional cost, over and above the cost of a normal call.

I don't have a cell phone and never had one in the UK.

But I was aware that if I called someone's cell phone instead of a land line it cost me more when it was they that chose what phone they wanted me to call.

Someone else's choice doesn't cost me extra over here.

I can sympathise with an unwanted call resulting in a charge, but presumably that was something you took into account in your decision.

Presumably you can put your cell on the do not call list? That made a big difference in unwanted calls here.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I know (??????). Your point is?

PS: where in my post did I say I was in the UK?

It is irrelevant how things operate in the UK. You may as well compare how such things operate on the moon. I suggest you get used to how things operate here; it's how things are done. Bitching about it will not change things.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It is irrelevant how things operate in the UK. You may as well compare how such things operate on the moon. I suggest you get used to how things operate here; it's how things are done. Bitching about it will not change things.
Where would you be with an attitude like that? Oh yeah you're already in Canada.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

OK - WTF in my posts am I bitching about? Get off your high horse mate.

Once again I will state - I am merely pointing out facts that may interest those thinking of coming over here.

ENDEX
Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:30 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Here we are on a British Ex-Pats forum. How dare someone compare Amazon UK with Amazon.ca

Forum members like JimandBettina move (or have moved) from the UK to Canada. They are bound to make comparisons between the two countries. What's wrong with that?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:59 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

They wern't bitching. Is questioning unacceptable? Do we all have to sit back like some form of Stepford zombie and say 'it's how things are done'. They probably did that before women got the vote, before we at least had a stab at stopping slavery and stopped, in parts of the world, sending kids down mines.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
Here we are on a British Ex-Pats forum. How dare someone compare Amazon UK with Amazon.ca

Forum members like JimandBettina move (or have moved) from the UK to Canada. They are bound to make comparisons between the two countries. What's wrong with that?
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it but comparing everything in Canada to how it's done in the UK is, IMHO, a recipe for disaster.

Originally Posted by MillieF
They wern't bitching. Is questioning unacceptable? Do we all have to sit back like some form of Stepford zombie and say 'it's how things are done'. They probably did that before women got the vote, before we at least had a stab at stopping slavery and stopped, in parts of the world, sending kids down mines.
You are quite correct. Canadians will, of course, accept everything we tell them without thinking to themselves "If life was so much better back home, why don't you go back?" It's the perfect way to win friends and influence people.

Originally Posted by Oink
Where would you be with an attitude like that? Oh yeah you're already in Canada.
I am a realist

OK - WTF in my posts am I bitching about? Get off your high horse mate.

Once again I will state - I am merely pointing out facts that may interest those thinking of coming over here.

ENDEX
I suggest you re-read what you posted when I first replied. You were bitching.

No high horse. I posted that you were no longer in the UK and you couldn't appear to understand why I said that. Will you also advocate for driving on the left, after all, that's how it's done in the UK?

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 26th 2013 at 1:52 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mate,

As I said before - wind your neck in.

During the last 3 years I have lived for the most part in Kuwait, then Germany and the UK for only 4 months. I have moved house house 13 times in 20 years because of my job, have been shot in the face, had skin cancer misdiagnosed for 1 year and am in a current battle with the UK Govt to reclaim some money they overcharged me in tax. Why the f**k would I whinge (I am not going to use the word bitch as it sounds 'merican) about shite like online shopping?

This is me popping smoke from this thread.

Oh btw I am Canadian.

Thankyou very much for the support from those who understand why I posted what I did.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Mate,

As I said before - wind your neck in.

During the last 3 years I have lived for the most part in Kuwait, then Germany and the UK for only 4 months. I have moved house house 13 times in 20 years because of my job, have been shot in the face, had skin cancer misdiagnosed for 1 year and am in a current battle with the UK Govt to reclaim some money they overcharged me in tax. Why the f**k would I whinge (I am not going to use the word bitch as it sounds 'merican) about shite like online shopping?

This is me popping smoke from this thread.

Oh btw I am Canadian.

Thankyou very much for the support from those who understand why I posted what I did.
As the late Michael Winner might have said, calm dow, it's only a forum.

You made a valid point about phones. AC gave his opinion about comparing things to back home. No need to get hyped up. Especially after what you've been through
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:24 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

The old "why does XYZ cost this much here compared to such and such a place".

Always a joy.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly

Always a joy.
Oh come on. Trying to buy stuff online here is simply a frustrating, dispiriting and expensive exercise.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:03 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Oh come on. Trying to buy stuff online here is simply a frustrating, dispiriting and expensive exercise.
I've never really had to buy anything online here yet but my wife does sometimes and it's not particularly troublesome. The hardest part is usually having to play tag with the delivery man who arrives to find our mailbox is actually about a mile away at the library...and then he gets there to find it's just a standard size Canada Post mailbox not really big enough for anything larger than a letter
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
With the reverse being true sometimes as well as the other differing experiences, so the thread actually serves a useful purpose after all.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:26 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
With the reverse being true sometimes as well as the other differing experiences, so the thread actually serves a useful purpose after all.
With thanks and + 1

Last edited by MillieF; Jan 27th 2013 at 2:27 am. Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.