Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:33 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

In the UK at the moment. Just back from Asda. Four beers for three quid and six Mr Porky bags of scratchings. Time for Countdown
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

mrtomsterman is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in London and don't actually think its all that bad. It has lots of diversity and is quite an interesting place to live.
Yeah it can be dangerous and is dirty but as people have said before you take the good with the bad.
When I came back from a month in Vancouver, I didn't feel depressed and scared and start picking out impefections. London is where I grew up and is essentially home.
As Samuel Johnson famously said that “when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life”.

What was i saying again...
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:22 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FPE88
I understand what the OP is saying.

Put it this way, I live in the UK and when i'm in London I feel like a 'foreigner', So many ignorant people there, If it wasnt for work or wembley I would never visit London in my life cant stand the place, yes I also find it dirty.
just to add my bit.... i'm from up north (north west) and I used to love going to visit London and I knew many that had never been! I find the city vibrant and alive and exciting, however, I do agree that like Canada (calgary at least)it is a multi-cultural city and i found it difficult to order a coffee in one coffee shop as the girl hardly spoke any English!
I guess though thats the draw of the city, all that multi culture in one place trying to muddle through together.
I think that if you are not used to the melting pot of different cultures it can be hard to deal with...me personally, as long as they're working and not sponging off the state or doing something illegal, i love it!

Last edited by fatcat65; Feb 22nd 2011 at 2:25 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
In the UK at the moment. Just back from Asda. Four beers for three quid and six Mr Porky bags of scratchings. Time for Countdown
Consonant, Vowel, Consonant, Vowel, Consonant......thanks Carol.

V O M I T for five letters.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:49 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

As it says on the bag, 25g of Piggy Heaven
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:55 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Come dine with me at 5!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:56 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Not Carol anymore mate. Its Rachel
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:00 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrtomsterman
As Samuel Johnson famously said that “when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life”.
Johnson was relatively well off & lived in a city with around 650,000 souls, this has increased 18 fold & now stands at 12,000,000.. Hardly relevant now..

"All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it."

Samuel Johnson
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly London is one of the great cities of the world. If you say you are from London England everyone usually knows where you are from (except of course in parts of Ontario who think they have the only London).

Many parts of the North are worse than the worst that London has to offer. I remember going to Manchester as a student and seeing people openly carrying guns and selling drugs in one part of town.

I also remember going to a housing estate in Dublin where the people would spread human excrement on all the walls which were out of sight of the CCTV cameras.

Is Dublin a great city? Is Manchester? Clearly yes. I had alot of fun whilst there. But they also have a dark side, and once you have seen it clearly it colours your view of these cities.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by London Mike
I'm sorry, I don't mean to insult you, but you mentioned that London was full of ignorant people and I take issue with that comment. There are millions of people in London and yes some may well be ignorant, but as a city it stands tall as one of the most tolerant, accepting, well-informed and cross-cultural cities on the planet. I lived there for 10 years, so I think I can say this with some certainty.

I'm proud to have lived there. However, for us it was time to move on.

Just out of curiosity what was the ignorance that you experineced in London and why did you feel like a foreigner there?
Look I was born in London also have family there and worked all over London for years, I have also worked in Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow, Liverpool, Bristol all over the UK really and I much prefer them places to London.

When you say why did you feel like a foreighner, what a stupid question. When I go abroad on hols I am the foreighner which is not a bad thing, but its also the feeling I get when im in London, I cant explain this feeling but I know that I should feel quite comfortable anywhere in the UK and I do except London.

I find the majority of the places really rough, most people are ignorant, I done security systems for all the Asda's in the UK and London has more crime than anywhere else in my experience.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

When you say why did you feel like a foreighner, what a stupid question.
Is it because there aren't many flat caps, whippets or racing pigeons?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is it because there aren't many flat caps, whippets or racing pigeons?
You dont get up north much do you
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:46 pm

When you say why did you feel like a foreighner, what a stupid question. When I go abroad on hols I am the foreighner which is not a bad thing, but its also the feeling I get when im in London, I cant explain this feeling but I know that I should feel quite comfortable anywhere in the UK and I do except London.
Please do try and explain. it's such an odd statement.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Why the mystery? There is a lot more English as a second (or third) language in London than anywhere else in the UK, just as there is in Vancouver and Toronto in Canada.

They are places that immigrants gravitate to, and it can naturally make some people uncomfortable. Its not a hanging offence AFAIK. To pretend its not so would be polical correctness of the worst kind.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of

Please do try and explain. it's such an odd statement.
Its just how I feel mate, If I try explaining I know a lot of people jump on the racism row which I find very sad to say the least. If some one says they dont like London then everyone from London jump on them like a pack of wolves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.