Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

FPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud ofFPE88 has much to be proud of
Default Re: for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

I understand what the OP is saying.

Put it this way, I live in the UK and when i'm in London I feel like a 'foreigner', So many ignorant people there, If it wasnt for work or wembley I would never visit London in my life cant stand the place, yes I also find it dirty.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:43 am
Account Closed

billybones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's not what the OP was saying though is it? He seems to have hated it from the 'trolley dollies' onward, whereas a couple of us were saying that it looked nice when we visited.

It's understandable that many want to justify their move by slagging off every single aspect of British life, however that's as unrealistic as the 'idyllic Cotswolds' approach.
I'm not justifying my move because I went back to the UK with the intention of staying, My post simply highlights my experiences and thoughts after being away for two years. I will never HATE the UK as it is my motherland, I find your comments very judgmental. Like I said earlier, it probably has lots to do with the area of the UK concerned and Personally I am from the Midlands so cannot comment on London etc
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:46 am
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's understandable that many want to justify their move by slagging off every single aspect of British life, however that's as unrealistic as the 'idyllic Cotswolds' approach.
I think if you read my post again you will appreciate that I'm not (nor is anyone else for that matter) slagging off every aspect of British life..

As I said, I love SE London & find much to despair about in Nova Scotia, I moved here so my wife could be nearer her ailing, post stroke mother..

I get a little tired of the London tourists explaining the reality of London life to me...
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPE88
I understand what the OP is saying.

Put it this way, I live in the UK and when i'm in London I feel like a 'foreigner', So many ignorant people there, If it wasnt for work or wembley I would never visit London in my life cant stand the place, yes I also find it dirty.
An ignorant remark by itself! Why do you feel like a foreigner in London? And what does that mean, to feel like a foreigner in the UK? The UK has been multi-cultural and 'full of foreigners' for over 2,000 years. Nonsense.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:09 am
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
An ignorant remark by itself! Why do you feel like a foreigner in London? And what does that mean, to feel like a foreigner in the UK? The UK has been multi-cultural and 'full of foreigners' for over 2,000 years. Nonsense.
Once again a kneejerk attack.
Why, for pity's sake, would you resort to insults.?..
The post you just foamed over isn't about race or colour, it's about London culture..

The lady doth protest too much, methinks...
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:17 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy
The post you just foamed over isn't about race or colour, it's about London culture..

I don't see where he has resorted to insult.

Your post is more knee jerk than his.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy

I'm sorry, I don't mean to insult you, but you mentioned that London was full of ignorant people and I take issue with that comment. There are millions of people in London and yes some may well be ignorant, but as a city it stands tall as one of the most tolerant, accepting, well-informed and cross-cultural cities on the planet. I lived there for 10 years, so I think I can say this with some certainty.

I'm proud to have lived there. However, for us it was time to move on.

Just out of curiosity what was the ignorance that you experineced in London and why did you feel like a foreigner there?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:34 am
Displaced Disgrace

Not me.. But..

I lived in London for 40 years & as people's relative incomes decline it gets harder & harder to maintain a work/life balance in one of the most expensive cities in the world.. It is horribly overcrowded & often the go to place to live, not only for foreign immigrants but for the thousands that move their from within the U.K...

London is in the U.K., London is not the U.K..

I have genuinely lost count of the amount of non-Londoners who feel compelled to tell me all about my own city..
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:23 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! There appears to be a few 'politically correct' and snappy British people around here

I hope nobody has chopped a tree down, or shipped a pet from London, recently or they'll probably come in for yet another 'politically correct' interrogation too!

Calma Calma
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:49 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billybones
First of all I may be jobless but I live from my own savings and not The Canadian taxpayer

Secondly my comments regarding immigrants may seem hypercritical however they are not... Immigrants from Europe do not need any security or background or health checks to enter the UK, neither do they need to have a job, Hence we get a lot of undesirables from Europe living in the UK and crime figures involving Immigrants is a growing problem which the government publicly recognizes. I was reading in the Telegraph that new government figures show a rise of convictions and imprisonment for EU immigrants of 850% in the last 3 years, this re-enforces my point and is factual so please no more of this finger pointing!
I am disappointed that whilst trying to write my first thread highlighting MY experiences in relation to the UK I have attracted so much negativity.
If a Canadian had written what you'd written he'd be talking about you.

Last edited by Londonuck; Feb 22nd 2011 at 9:52 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

Originally Posted by billybones
First of all I may be jobless but I live from my own savings and not The Canadian taxpayer

Secondly my comments regarding immigrants may seem hypercritical however they are not... Immigrants from Europe do not need any security or background or health checks to enter the UK, neither do they need to have a job, Hence we get a lot of undesirables from Europe living in the UK and crime figures involving Immigrants is a growing problem which the government publicly recognizes. I was reading in the Telegraph that new government figures show a rise of convictions and imprisonment for EU immigrants of 850% in the last 3 years, this re-enforces my point and is factual so please no more of this finger pointing!
I am disappointed that whilst trying to write my first thread highlighting MY experiences in relation to the UK I have attracted so much negativity.
Well, if it's in the Telegraph it MUST be true!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:19 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers
Well, if it's in the Telegraph it MUST be true!
As opposed to the Grauniad which is always the arbiter of the complete, unbiased truth?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
As opposed to the Grauniad which is always the arbiter of the complete, unbiased truth?
Exactly - all written media in the UK comes with it's own biased perspective. As long as it's all taken with a pinch of salt, no problem. It's when people start to use articles as "fact" (as done here) that you start to run into trouble...
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers
Exactly - all written media in the UK comes with it's own biased perspective. As long as it's all taken with a pinch of salt, no problem. It's when people start to use articles as "fact" (as done here) that you start to run into trouble...
It's not a problem if something is cited as a fact, in the Telegraph, the Grauniad or on the BBC. If they say it's a fact it very like is. If you can't rely on those sources what sources can you trust?

That 850% though, while doubtless true, isn't useful without context, did the rate of immigration from EU countries also increase by 850%, by any chance?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not a problem if something is cited as a fact, in the Telegraph, the Grauniad or on the BBC. If they say it's a fact it very like is. If you can't rely on those sources what sources can you trust?

That 850% though, while doubtless true, isn't useful without context, did the rate of immigration from EU countries also increase by 850%, by any chance?
I would say that you can't rely on any one source of information in isolation. Not even the sources mentioned above. Everything should be taken with an air of scepticism - some "facts" are easier to prove than others, and that's why newspapers have an apology or two for mis-information in many editions.

Your point about context is what I was really trying to put across I guess.

Anyways, I digress from the thread. My two cents - no country is perfect for everyone, and people will want to move around for that reason. Just live and let live!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.