Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:56 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: for all of those thinking of returning to the uk

Originally Posted by Rubie
I've dipped in and out of this thread and haven't read every single post but get the impression that its direction is going downhill.

This site is usually a fantastic source of support and information (banter included) and I think it is a shame that someone has apparently been hounded off it!!
I agree.
The intent of the OP was to offer some words of encouragement to others feeling homesick and if his way of expressing some of his thoughts offended anyone, I am sure he did not mean to do so.
The insistence by certain posters on attacking him for this rather than address his original intent is unfair and also to continue to pursue it with such vehemence is saddening for a forum that should rise above the usual flame-throwing and abuse that I hear is the norm on other internet forums.
The thread has obviously drifted completely off the point and certain members seem to be unable to leave well alone.
Perhaps it is time that a moderator closed it?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:37 am
Just Joined

fuzzbottle will become famous soon enoughfuzzbottle will become famous soon enough

I am astounded at Imartin 999 who thinks that just because I am a Police officer I am not entitled to an opinion. I posted nothing which was rude or offensive, but I do know that when someone starts to tell the truth in UK PLC these days they are labled subversive or ridiculed. I have had the misfortune to see the underbelly of our society my whole working life. The majority of the emergency services time is not dealing with worthy or decent people, but propping up the individuals in our society who have been allowed to rely on the welfare state to service all their needs. They contribute nothing but take evrything, and when hard working people who have paid in to the system fall on hard times, the reason the whole system was set up, they are treated like lepers and get nothing back. We need to adopt a harder attitude to career scroungers who absorb the majority of our national wealth. That is my rant over ( for now) I might just go on to taxes, duty on fuel, VAT, obsession with house prices,etc etc !!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:07 am
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by helcat12
The thread has obviously drifted completely off the point and certain members seem to be unable to leave well alone.
Perhaps it is time that a moderator closed it?
Here here!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I find that extremely offensive and not just because my cousins are First Nation Maliseet.
Last Christmas I was clearing snow off my car getting ready to head to the airport to pick up friends....and a native looking gent clearly a bit wobbly on his feet asked for a ride to the Oromocto reserve....closer inspection revealed he was wearing flip flops. A bit strange as he said he was from up the river but had family on the reserve.

I thought OK, something not quite right here but he deserved a break. I had a few mins to spare and drove him to the reserve.

Picking up my wife a few mins later, while getting in the car she noticed a rather brownish stain on the seat.

Turns out I had been left a Christmas gift, as apparently this particular Maliseet had left shit all over my seat.

What's Christmas for ehh...............but giving.....next time I will pass.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Last Christmas I was clearing snow off my car getting ready to head to the airport to pick up friends....and a native looking gent clearly a bit wobbly on his feet asked for a ride to the Oromocto reserve....closer inspection revealed he was wearing flip flops. A bit strange as he said he was from up the river but had family on the reserve.

I thought OK, something not quite right here but he deserved a break. I had a few mins to spare and drove him to the reserve.

Picking up my wife a few mins later, while getting in the car she noticed a rather brownish stain on the seat.

Turns out I had been left a Christmas gift, as apparently this particular Maliseet had left shit all over my seat.

What's Christmas for ehh...............but giving.....next time I will pass.

The mechanics of this challenge me. Was he wearing trousers with a hole in the arse?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzzbottle
I am astounded at Imartin 999 who thinks that just because I am a Police officer I am not entitled to an opinion.
Wasn't the objection to the nature of the opinion rather than to your holding an opinion at all? You wrote what I'd expect a cop to write, an expectation for which I expect the BC RCMP will be along to give me a hard time.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Extremely good question....he had a coat on....my guess is that it just seeped through...it was a bugger to get out...and stank for hours and certainly during the collection of visitors...who were from, funnily enough...Down under.

Next time..whomever it is gets a phone....or possibly a garbage bag to sit on if I am full of Christmas cheer.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:31 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Closing thread, it seems to have wandered down some winding rambling country lane. Plus OP has left BE so no longer able to respond.