Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

alberta driving

alberta driving

Old Jun 19th 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

davidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant futuredavidshan has a brilliant future
Default alberta driving

Hi all,

Just need clarification here, we are moving to calgary with an lmo on 1st July, and i would like to know if it is actually true that you dont have to do a test of any sort in alberta with a uk licence?
If this is true can anyone tell me which building you need to go to to exchange your licence? i have a NCB letter being sent to me for insurance purposes, but do i need anything else?

I'd appreciate any help from anyone who has done this in alberta, especially calgary if possible??

many thanks
daveshan
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:54 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: alberta driving

Nope you don't need to do a test woohoo (sorry to all those in BC!)

Just take your UK license with you to an Alberta registry office (either someone on here will tell you which one for Calgary or you can look it up in the Canada Yellow Pages), and i'm sure some form of id (passport / work permit / maybe something with your addy on if you have it)

They will take away your UK license, give you an eye test, take a photo and give you a provisional paper license there and then - your card one will come through in about 10 days.

This will be the same place that you go to when you register a new car too once a year (oh and get your license plates from too - they keep em alll in a drawer there!)
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:02 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

All the links you need are here (exchanging non-Canadian licence is on the right):

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...orVehicles.cfm
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:25 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidshan
Hi all,

Just need clarification here, we are moving to calgary with an lmo on 1st July, and i would like to know if it is actually true that you dont have to do a test of any sort in alberta with a uk licence?
If this is true can anyone tell me which building you need to go to to exchange your licence? i have a NCB letter being sent to me for insurance purposes, but do i need anything else?

I'd appreciate any help from anyone who has done this in alberta, especially calgary if possible??

many thanks
daveshan
Dude, please tell me you have someone to meet you at the airport etc and help you get around. Its Canada Day you know (there maybe a reduced service on everything) so make you sure you wish EVERYONE a Happy Canada Day

As for Registry offices (to swap your licence) they tend to be on in EVERY community and I can think of at least three within (easy) spitting distance of my place DownTown, you will however need an address. Delay swapping your licence as long as possible if you dont already have a 'permanent address' as the registry offices are 'independent' and have been known to suggest that the last photo you had for your licence is 'no longer' acceptable (the cynic in me says this is to generate more income as they will charge for the new photo).
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

danniek will become famous soon enough

In Alberta, you are not required to do testing to get your class 5 licence. There is a reciprocal agreement with certain countries, and the UK is one of them. That being said, if you have any other class of licence, you will be required to do the testing for that class (ie: motorcycle, large truck).

To switch your licence over, you will require your UK licence, passport, proof of immigration status (work visa, pr card), proof of address. The proof of address is something that everyone seems to have a hard time with. It must be something sent to your address with your name on it, within the last 90 days.

When you take all of that to the registry, they will keep your licence and give you an Alberta one. They will take your photo (no smiling in the pictures anymore) and give you a temproary licence to drive with. The photo licence comes in the mail in approx 2 weeks.

For the post above mine, the government allows you to keep your photo for 4 years or unless there is something wrong with the picture. There is never an extra charge to take your photo, providing you are doing a service for that licence at the time. For example, if you just hate the expression on your face and want another... $22.45. However, if you hate your expression and have moved addresses, it is still $22.45 but you have the choice to take a new photo with that service.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
All the links you need are here (exchanging non-Canadian licence is on the right):

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...orVehicles.cfm
You can browse through the Alberta drivers handbook at your leisure before you arrive.

Online version: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/733.htm

Or PDF version: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ndbook2009.pdf
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Lots of sensible advice from Butch there. Just echoing everyone's responses that you can swap your UK licence for an Alberta one without difficulty/test. We help folk with this stuff all the time (eg: Alberta Health, Driving Licence, SIN, airport-pick ups, etc) so PM us if you would like any assistance.

In any event, hope your last weeks in the UK are not too hectic and that you settle quickly into your new life over here.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:16 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danniek
In Alberta, you are not required to do testing to get your class 5 licence. There is a reciprocal agreement with certain countries, and the UK is one of them. That being said, if you have any other class of licence, you will be required to do the testing for that class (ie: motorcycle, large truck).

To switch your licence over, you will require your UK licence, passport, proof of immigration status (work visa, pr card), proof of address. The proof of address is something that everyone seems to have a hard time with. It must be something sent to your address with your name on it, within the last 90 days.

When you take all of that to the registry, they will keep your licence and give you an Alberta one. They will take your photo (no smiling in the pictures anymore) and give you a temproary licence to drive with. The photo licence comes in the mail in approx 2 weeks.

For the post above mine, the government allows you to keep your photo for 4 years or unless there is something wrong with the picture. There is never an extra charge to take your photo, providing you are doing a service for that licence at the time. For example, if you just hate the expression on your face and want another... $22.45. However, if you hate your expression and have moved addresses, it is still $22.45 but you have the choice to take a new photo with that service.
I cant be bothered arguing with you today. BUT please do not dispute my PERSONAL experience as I will not dispute yours.

PS I think you will find it is 5years that your licence is valid for
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

LALZER is an unknown quantity at this point

What about a Republic of Ireland driving licence, do the same rules apply.
Also can I drive over there for a certain lenght of time on my Irish licence, I went to the touble of getting an International driving licence, is it any use.....Finally is it expensive to get car insurance in Alberta for a 29 year old male...thanks guys
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I cant be bothered arguing with you today. BUT please do not dispute my PERSONAL experience as I will not dispute yours.

PS I think you will find it is 5years that your licence is valid for
It is not a dispute. I am sorry you feel that way. The licence is valid for 5 years, correct. However, they make it so that you have to take a new photo after 4, so that when you expire at 5, it is mandatory.

It is not about personal experience, it is about the process that the government has set out for all offices to follow. If you would like me to post the government guidelines, I would be happy to do so.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LALZER
What about a Republic of Ireland driving licence, do the same rules apply.
Also can I drive over there for a certain lenght of time on my Irish licence, I went to the touble of getting an International driving licence, is it any use.....Finally is it expensive to get car insurance in Alberta for a 29 year old male...thanks guys

If your licence is from the DVLNI, you are not part of the reciprocal agreement. You will have to take the exams to obtain your licence. The books that are posted above are what you will have to study to get the licence.

Upon arrival, you are able to drive with your foreign licence for 90 days.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by danniek
It is not a dispute. I am sorry you feel that way. The licence is valid for 5 years, correct. However, they make it so that you have to take a new photo after 4, so that when you expire at 5, it is mandatory.

It is not about personal experience, it is about the process that the government has set out for all offices to follow. If you would like me to post the government guidelines, I would be happy to do so.
a) in what way do they make it you must have a new photo at 4 years?
b) guidelines yes, practice (as we all know) does not always follow guidelines, when I moved my partner was told that they would need a new photo AND was charged for the privilige end of story.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
a) in what way do they make it you must have a new photo at 4 years?
b) guidelines yes, practice (as we all know) does not always follow guidelines, when I moved my partner was told that they would need a new photo AND was charged for the privilige end of story.
Really??? I am so sorry to hear that. The only reason your partner should have needed a new photo is for a few reasons

1. They are smiling
2. The photo was more than 4 years past
3. If it was a brand spanking new licence and they have never ever had a licence in Alberta before.

If they did charge them more than the stated fees, they cannot. I would be calling the government rite line (310-0000) and filing a complaint. I truly despise offices that do things like that. Motor vehicle services are to be charged the exact same at every office. They are "capped" fees which means, the office cannot charge more than what the government has set for a standard.

What do you mean by your first question? If you have a photo taken today and come back in 4 years because you have moved, the government computer system does not allow the clerk to use the existing photo. You must have a new one taken.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Nope you don't need to do a test woohoo (sorry to all those in BC!)

Just take your UK license with you to an Alberta registry office (either someone on here will tell you which one for Calgary or you can look it up in the Canada Yellow Pages), and i'm sure some form of id (passport / work permit / maybe something with your addy on if you have it)

They will take away your UK license, give you an eye test, take a photo and give you a provisional paper license there and then - your card one will come through in about 10 days.

This will be the same place that you go to when you register a new car too once a year (oh and get your license plates from too - they keep em alll in a drawer there!)
What happens if you then move to bc in 6 mths or so ??

Gav
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Glam
What happens if you then move to bc in 6 mths or so ??

Gav
They put you in a straight jacket

(WHY would you want to leave AB for BC)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.