Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Air Transat experiences?

Air Transat experiences?

Old May 6th 2013, 11:49 am
Just Joined

listener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura about
Default Air Transat experiences?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at flights within the next couple of weeks and Air Transat (through Canadian Affair) are coming in at the best price. I've read some of the reviews and there's a mix of positive to negative.

What are your experiences with Air Transat? I'd be looking at traveling from LGW to YYZ, and on the site it says it would be an Airbus A330. Are these the newer or older planes?

Many thanks
Old May 6th 2013, 12:00 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Transat experiences?

Parents fly with them.
no major problems, food crap but no more crap than any other airline.

they flew back to Manchester on what my Mom claimed was a brand new plane, probably just revamped interior but nice enough
Old May 6th 2013, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

sickofit is an unknown quantity at this point

The only other airline I have flown to Canada is Sunwing which I would avoid at all costs.. Last flight delayed by 24hours!

Air Transat is a good budget airline, it all depends on what plane you get. Some of the older ones only have the communal TV's that come down from the ceiling that can be a bit fussy or out of line of site and are a little run down. However my last flight at christmas had almost brand new interior and individual tv's in the seats where you can select your own entertainment.

Just luck of the draw I guess
Old May 6th 2013, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

I've flown with Air Transaat for years & years via Canadian Affair. Never had a problem except the occasional delay. I actually preferred them over Thomas Cook. Air Transaat staff considerably more polite.

Years & years ago - you used to be able to get a free upgrade to their business class - ahhhhh the good old days eh

Sometimes the plane is old, and sometimes its been revamped - all been fine for me.
Old May 6th 2013, 12:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Cramped. Uncomfortable. Cheap. Works for me.
Old May 6th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

I think they are in the process of upgrading their planes throughout this year which is why there seems to be a mix of old and new.

From memory, the ones with the seat back TVs rather than communal ones flew to the west and the others flew to the east. The upgrade will change them all to the seat back TVs. Give them a call and check.

Apart from that, echo other people's comments - fine. I never have a problem with leg room as I am only 5 ft 2, so never worried me. Might be a problem for some, I honestly have no idea what the difference is between AT and other airlines.

Got us there every time on time, food is, well airline food. We did get an upgrade once but apart from the free drinks coming through regularly and the bigger seats I can't say it changed my life.

Maybe I'm not the best person to comment as to me it's just a way of getting from A to B and I wouldn't pay more than I had to just for a bit more comfort for a few hours. I'd rather save the money.
Old May 6th 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cramped. Uncomfortable. Cheap. Works for me.
Yes. But cheap works for me too. I can handle 8 hours of cramped and uncomfortable (at least its a direcet flight even from Calgary) for half the price of Air Canada.
Old May 6th 2013, 2:28 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
Yes. But cheap works for me too. I can handle 8 hours of cramped and uncomfortable (at least its a direcet flight even from Calgary) for half the price of Air Canada.
Don't seem so cheap anymore
Old May 6th 2013, 2:29 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

They are fine. Unless you have spare money it's your only choice so just book it.
Old May 6th 2013, 2:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for lowest cost, this is it, if you are looking for some level of comfort, maybe not. You get what you pay for.

The age of the aircraft is less relevant than how well it is maintained. Even new aircraft can have failures or mechanical issues.

This was a 2 year old aircraft at the time of the incident http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

Some amazing airmanship, a 65 mile glide and dead stick landing right on the button.
Old May 6th 2013, 2:57 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Yep , at leaset Airtransat put in enought fuel to start with and were just careless enough to lose it on the way , where as Air Canada.....

well they just don't put enough in , in the first place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

(just kidding )
Old May 6th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Travel with them and dog on April 26th. It was a new plane, the ground staff very helpful, especially with dog. Air crew was fine. There was a slight problem with my partner's food and although it was sorted we had 3 different people come and say sorry for the screw up.

Really rate them ! Cheap, cheerful and get what yo pay for.

One recommendation book seats in advance.

R
Old May 6th 2013, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you are looking for lowest cost, this is it, if you are looking for some level of comfort, maybe not. You get what you pay for.

The age of the aircraft is less relevant than how well it is maintained. Even new aircraft can have failures or mechanical issues.

This was a 2 year old aircraft at the time of the incident http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

Some amazing airmanship, a 65 mile glide and dead stick landing right on the button.
Freakin' Rolls Royce junk

Air Crash Investigations Episode of TS236:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Ii571Ovi8
Old May 6th 2013, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

All airlines have issues (some serious ones occur in flight) - most passengers are unaware of them.

Plane is still safest form of transport !
Old May 6th 2013, 3:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
All airlines have issues (some serious ones occur in flight) - most passengers are unaware of them.

Plane is still safest form of transport !
Every one is reported to TSB, lots of great reading here
http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/

Last edited by Aviator; May 6th 2013 at 4:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.