Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Air Transat experiences?

Air Transat experiences?

Old May 8th 2013, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

listener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Air Transat experiences?

Someone mentioned it's worth booking the seat ahead (additional £9), do most people do this?

Also what's the difference between a normal seat and a "Standard Plus Seat" which is an extra £19?
Old May 8th 2013, 10:38 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

It depends if your travelling alone or with your partner/family. For £9 per seat per flight you can guarantee your seat. Myself and my OH decided to do this as we had previously had a long flight to South Africa and been allocated seats at different ends of the plane. Different airline but it made us wary of leaving anything to chance on future flights
Old May 9th 2013, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

ookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the rough

Have used Canadian Affair and Air Transat for years, very few delays in my experience, food isnt worth touching but take your own snacks. Never had a problem with leg room seats comfy enough. Personal I would pre book my seat and go with the plus seats towards the back of the plane especially if there are only 2 of you flying as there are some rows of only 2 seats and you get extra room(slightly) and no third person sitting next to you. Enjoy your trip
Old May 9th 2013, 11:11 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madnellie
Not sure if you know this or not but on some of the AT planes they have rows of two seats instead of three along the sides towards the back of the plane. Those seats are a little bigger than the ones in groups of three and you get a bit more space. We always try and book those as I'm 5ft10 and not skinny either
The first of those rows is the one to go for. The plane has narrowed but not by much. There is not quite enough room for three seats but plenty for two. They are also set back quite a long way from the row in front (not sure why). You get double the tables, too.
Old May 9th 2013, 11:20 am
Just Joined

listener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura about

Will be traveling by myself so no problem about being split from anybody else

For the flights I'm looking at the plane seems to be the A330-200 with 3-3-3 seating. I'm tempted to go for the Plus seat near the back, but then the flight seems to have quite a fair bit of available seats so might just see what I get when I get to the airport.

I imagine you can request to have an aisle seat at check-in?
Old May 9th 2013, 11:42 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by listener
Will be traveling by myself so no problem about being split from anybody else

For the flights I'm looking at the plane seems to be the A330-200 with 3-3-3 seating. I'm tempted to go for the Plus seat near the back, but then the flight seems to have quite a fair bit of available seats so might just see what I get when I get to the airport.

I imagine you can request to have an aisle seat at check-in?
You can request one but you're stuffed if there are none left. Keep an eye on the availability. If it's still wide open the day before you travel, you should be OK. If it isn't, pre-reserving a seat for a few quid would make sense. If it's starting to look really full, dress smartly.
Old May 9th 2013, 1:25 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Cant even find any flights from Calgary to anywhere in the UK for when i want to travel in June and July..must be booked up already?
Old May 9th 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
You can request one but you're stuffed if there are none left. Keep an eye on the availability. If it's still wide open the day before you travel, you should be OK. If it isn't, pre-reserving a seat for a few quid would make sense. If it's starting to look really full, dress smartly.
Having flown a few times with AT - a little trick. The 'plus' seats do cost money if booked in advance, my experience is that only the seats in the back of the plane where it turns to 2 seats instead of 3 get booked (they are worth it if you want to be safe, ALOT more room) The emergency exit rows rarely do get booked because they cost that much more, however, if you check in online the moment it opens (24 hours prior I believe) any plus seats that are still available can be selected for no additional charge, even if you had pre-booked a different seat you are able to change to these seats for free. I flew in one of these last time and with my legs outstretched still couldnt touch the seats in front of me.

Also, in terms of seat differences between AC and AT. Typical seat width in Economy on AC is 18.5 inches. On AT it is 16.5 inches, on the newer AT planes it is 18 inches. That 2 inches is alot.
Old May 9th 2013, 2:30 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
Having flown a few times with AT - a little trick. The 'plus' seats do cost money if booked in advance, my experience is that only the seats in the back of the plane where it turns to 2 seats instead of 3 get booked (they are worth it if you want to be safe, ALOT more room) The emergency exit rows rarely do get booked because they cost that much more, however, if you check in online the moment it opens (24 hours prior I believe) any plus seats that are still available can be selected for no additional charge, even if you had pre-booked a different seat you are able to change to these seats for free. I flew in one of these last time and with my legs outstretched still couldnt touch the seats in front of me.

Also, in terms of seat differences between AC and AT. Typical seat width in Economy on AC is 18.5 inches. On AT it is 16.5 inches, on the newer AT planes it is 18 inches. That 2 inches is alot.
Keep repeating that to yourself

The seating isn't really an issue for me. I'm under five-ten and weigh 140lb. I do, however, like to stretch my legs out without barking my shins.
Old May 9th 2013, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Keep repeating that to yourself

The seating isn't really an issue for me. I'm under five-ten and weigh 140lb. I do, however, like to stretch my legs out without barking my shins.
It would be if you get larger passenger next to you..

Go for the emergency exit rows then. Im six-one and with legs out stretched out couldnt touch the row in front. With these seats the fold out table is in the armrest, just an fyi.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:25 pm
Slob

It would be if you get larger passenger next to you..

Go for the emergency exit rows then. Im six-one and with legs out stretched out couldnt touch the row in front. With these seats the fold out table is in the armrest, just an fyi.
I do know that. I have been on a few planes in my time. Just a few.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

I do know that. I have been on a few planes in my time. Just a few.
Just giving you a helpful comment, no need for sarcasm.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:56 pm
Slob

Just giving you a helpful comment, no need for sarcasm.
This is BE. Sarcasm comes with the territory
Old May 9th 2013, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is BE. Sarcasm comes with the territory
I guess I need to brush up on my sarcasm as some posters think Im serious all of the time
Old May 9th 2013, 4:25 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I guess I need to brush up on my sarcasm as some posters think Im serious all of the time
"Worry" more than "think".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.