Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Air Transat experiences?

Air Transat experiences?

Old May 6th 2013, 4:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Transat experiences?

Originally Posted by listener
Hi guys,

I'm looking at flights within the next couple of weeks and Air Transat (through Canadian Affair) are coming in at the best price. I've read some of the reviews and there's a mix of positive to negative.

What are your experiences with Air Transat? I'd be looking at traveling from LGW to YYZ, and on the site it says it would be an Airbus A330. Are these the newer or older planes?

Many thanks
Its effectively the chav airline of airlines. Because of the cheap flights it brings the chavs you want to escape over to Canada.
Old May 6th 2013, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

I am officially a chav ! Proud to be !
Old May 6th 2013, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

gemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to behold

Christ I'm
Not even clicking on these links, I remember those air crash programmes well and Defo don't want to be reminded 5 days before flying. :/
Old May 6th 2013, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by gemmab1979
Christ I'm
Not even clicking on these links, I remember those air crash programmes well and Defo don't want to be reminded 5 days before flying. :/
we've used Air Transat many times and they're fine. The new planes are much better than the old but both do the same job and we prefer them to Air Canada.

If you can find the extra for the upgrade that seems worthwhile to us
Old May 6th 2013, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

When flying to Canada on a holiday I've not had any problems with them but coming over for a year on my WHV was a different story.

I called the customer helpline several times before departure to ensure I could check in TWO bags as long as the total weight was under 23kg - and all times the person on the other end of the phone ensured me that I could do this. However, upon actually checking in on the day I was to leave I got to the counter only to be told that i'd need to pay an extra £60 or so for my 2nd bag even though the total weight was under 23kg.

I told them I was told otherwise but they weren't budging so I had to send my other bag home with my parents. I was furious and kind of put a downer on the start of my trip as I had a lot of sentimental stuff in the bag I had to leave but whatever I'm over it now.

So basically don't listen to the people on the phone and if in doubt just read the website!
Old May 6th 2013, 6:59 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Not had any issues with them myself, bearing in mind you can pay double elsewhere for the same or worse service
Old May 6th 2013, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I flew Van to Manchester 2 days ago with Air transist on an Airbus A330. Absolutly fine as always and the plane was half empty. It was one of the older airplanes with shared tv's but in anticipation I put a load of movies on my laptop etc. Ive also had the newer planes and all was good there too.
I guess I'm not that tall at 5'4 but I've always felt like I had a load of room, its not ryanair type leg room. People always give them crap but tbh I don't know why, I've flown much more expensive airlines and if you fly cattle their all much of a muchness, its only 9 hours max of your life so I wont worry either way
Old May 7th 2013, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

My Mum uses them all the time, upgrades as she is disabled and needs more legroom and has never had a problem with them. Personally I have travelled with many airlines and they are all much of a muchness imo, therefore I would always go with the cheapest and spend the money saved at my destination
Old May 7th 2013, 3:16 am
Just Joined

ChrisNI is an unknown quantity at this point

They are great for what you pay for, I've never had a bad experience with them. And honestly, it's what, a 7 hour flight? If it's crappy, it will be over soon.

Get the vegetarian meal, you get served first and it's really good by airplane standards!
Old May 7th 2013, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Madnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud of

Just echoing what others have said. They are certainly no worse than anyone else (if you're flying economy), and sometimes better but always at a lower cost. Go for it.
Old May 7th 2013, 10:48 am
Just Joined

listener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura aboutlistener has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the feedback
Old May 7th 2013, 11:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jennika
When flying to Canada on a holiday I've not had any problems with them but coming over for a year on my WHV was a different story.

I called the customer helpline several times before departure to ensure I could check in TWO bags as long as the total weight was under 23kg - and all times the person on the other end of the phone ensured me that I could do this. However, upon actually checking in on the day I was to leave I got to the counter only to be told that i'd need to pay an extra £60 or so for my 2nd bag even though the total weight was under 23kg.

I told them I was told otherwise but they weren't budging so I had to send my other bag home with my parents. I was furious and kind of put a downer on the start of my trip as I had a lot of sentimental stuff in the bag I had to leave but whatever I'm over it now.

So basically don't listen to the people on the phone and if in doubt just read the website!
Why didn't you check the website rather than calling them? It's quite specific as to what you are allowed to take and what the additional charge is for a 2nd or 3rd bag.

http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/gamme...voyageur&id=25
Old May 7th 2013, 3:58 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Use Ait Transat many times too. I think they're absolutely fine and comfortable enough for me. Taken our kids ranging from 2 years to 10 years (over the years they get older) and they have had enough to occupy them for it to be bearable. I would certainly rather spend the difference the seats would cost on a "posher" airline on ourselves than on a wider seat.
Old May 7th 2013, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Hi I always use AT since 4yrs ago, as mentioned sometimes mix the new & old planes together, can be cramped if tall (over 5'7) but hey you get from A to B...food is reasonable wouldn't say great but is cheap compared to most airlines & the crew are friendly
Old May 8th 2013, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
we have used Air Transat many times. it is cheaper than the BA, Lufthansa etc.
The fares are a bit more expensive this year, but they get you from A to B.
The food is tolerable and I have always been on the planes with the TV in the back of the seat.

We have also used a subsidiary of Lufthansa, Condor and they were the same as Air Transat, only they fly to mainland Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.