Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 things to feel settled quickly ...

3 things to feel settled quickly ...

Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3 things to feel settled quickly ...

Learn to speak Canadian (!) - it is amazing how quickly the locals accept you if they think you are making the effort - you will soon be wearing rubber boots not wellies, or have a run in your pantyhose, not ladder in your tights, drive a truck, not a pickup etc etc etc. We have a translating book with the neighbours, which is great to add to on the walk back from the pub

Friends who moved over and swiftly moved back sought out other English people, moaned about all the differences in Canada to England (well it is a different country ffs) and didn't explore their surroundings.

Get out and about as others have said, the people are very friendly and want to help if you ask.
Good luck!!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
I've been spending much too long on these forums than is probably good for me! I've been doing a lot of reading in the "going to Canada" as well as the "coming back to the UK" forums and it seems that things don't always go as expected/hoped for.

So that got me thinking. We're heading to BC at the end of June (providing the house sale doesn't fall through again) and are really looking forward to it. My question is, once jobs and a place to live is sorted, what can we do that will make us feel at home in Canada?

What are the three things that we can do which will make us feel settled?
1) Lower your expectations about Canada. It's a lovely country, but no shangri-la.

2) Try to make more money than you think is enough to get by (or lower some costs instead).

3) Immerse yourself in the countryside. BC's gorgeous.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

You're coming to Vancouver - a city of transients, of many others who - like you - have moved here from elsewhere in Canada and from all over the world.

A lot of people are out there trying to understand how they fit into it all... you will not be alone! With Vancouver, you will have to initiate conversations and outings.

Vancouver is a really diverse city with some great, fascinating areas with engaged communities - other areas look great on paper, are scenic, but are ultimately boring safe havens where locals do not interact with their neighbours. Get to know which is which. Some communities, like Kitsilano, Steveston (I know, I've lived there!), and Commercial Drive are truly social communities. Move there and it'll be easy to be a part of the community. Other places - West Point Grey, Shaughnessy (I know, I've lived there!), and dare I say West Van? Great on paper, great to live, not so great to meet people when you're new.

My point? You'll find it easier to settle in some communities more than others... but you'll eventually have to play an active, rather than a passive, role in order to feel settled quickly.

My advice?

1. A lot of the Canadian stereotypes don't necessarily apply to Vancouver - the snow, the kids playing hockey, Tim Horton's, etc. Vancouver stereotypes apply - yoga (yoga, yoga, yoga, yoga, yoga), sushi, Starbucks (EVERYWHERE), meeting friends at Starbucks, meeting friends for sushi, meeting friends for yoga. Kids in Vancouver play football (err, soccer) and softball, we've found. Understand the local culture and try to be a part of it. Locals spend their free time on the beach, walking trails, being outdoors, not watching TV. (Even cradles know TV is crap!)

2. Just say no to comparisons! Canada is not the UK. End of story.

3. Adjust your eating and shopping habits. Simply ASK the locals where they'd go for the best bread, etc. Eat as the locals do. What do I mean by this? Don't shop like you would in the UK (visiting one supermarket for everything). Don't rely on packaged meals. Instant/packaged/convenience foods are subpar, generally, in Canada but fresh foods and local foods are fabulous in Vancouver. Again, this is where Canadian stereotypes don't apply. Vancouver has a lovely growing season and local foods are often the highest quality when compared to the imported goods. I think language also plays a large role in eating... a lot of the products/names for foods in the UK have different names in Vancouver. If you can't find it here, it's probably because you're asking for it under another name.

Last edited by Lychee; Apr 5th 2011 at 1:06 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Having our furniture arrive soon after we moved in was definitely a huge help, I found it very hard to settle the first 2 years as we had too many visitors, at the time it seemed nice...but it wasn't giving me chance to get on with my new life, (20 sets of visitors in 18 months) kids were fine they had school...hubby was fine he had work, I was struggling because I didn't work, I joined a needle work group, did a college course, even went Line dancing....English TV is a must, I remember feeling really lost and sad on Children in Need night, when I think back to that I think its very silly now.....its very easy to download English TV, (if anyone wants help with this please PM me). Try and plan a visit back after a year to 18 months, I did and that helped with missingness, but every one I have chatted to about this say it takes at least 2 years to settle...

I personally think that today's technology doesn't help with people settling in their new chosen country, years ago when it cost a fortune to ring home once a month, and it cost a fortune to fly home, people were made to get on with it, these days its easy to sit at home on ya computer all day chatting and pining with family and friends, instead of going out and exploring ya new country.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:32 pm
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone! There's some really great advice there. It's been really interesting to see what helps people settle. I know it will be different for everyone, but it's good to read success stories, and try to discern what makes for a successful relocation. Thank you. The surveyor's coming to do his report on the house, so keeping our fingers crossed that the sale goes through this time around and we can actually book the flights!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:38 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
Thanks everyone! There's some really great advice there. It's been really interesting to see what helps people settle. I know it will be different for everyone, but it's good to read success stories, and try to discern what makes for a successful relocation. Thank you. The surveyor's coming to do his report on the house, so keeping our fingers crossed that the sale goes through this time around and we can actually book the flights!
good luck Ff hope all goes well
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:33 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

For me-

1- Get involved locally, volunteer, we joined firehall as firefighter and medical first responder for me, was a fab way to meet people and feel "part" of where you are living.

2-If you have kids, get them settled into routine of school etc asap, it takes a while for them to adjust, make friends, get invited for playdates etc, sooner you can start this the better( also point one above will help with getting connected)

3-If you are going to have to work, get onto this asap, again it could take a while and will help to provide a feeling of being settled into your new life and routine

4- Embrace all things new, dont compare everything to uk and calculate everything in $$$, doesnt work converting things from £ to $, things are not as cheap here as they first seem.

sorry 1 more lol!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:52 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Learn to like butter chicken.