Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 things to feel settled quickly ...

3 things to feel settled quickly ...

Old Mar 31st 2011, 6:12 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 3 things to feel settled quickly ...

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
yeah agreed then you wont miss the UK much cus Canadain TV is crap.
2econded-wit exception of:The Littlest Hobo
Old Mar 31st 2011, 6:46 am
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by minimeeze
I agree with the above. Canada is not England and never will be. Once you can get past that, you'll be fine
I'm not there yet but tend to think of it like this. If you emigrated to, say, Thailand, Singapore....somewhere like that, you wouldn't question that you were in a different country with a completely different culture. Okay, so Canada is an English speaking country but it's not England and can't, therefore, be compared. Just a thought.....
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:07 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Okay, so Canada is an English speaking country but it's not England and can't, therefore, be compared.
Isn't it due to it not being England that means you can compare it to England? You can't compare England to England
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:15 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Isn't it due to it not being England that means you can compare it to England? You can't compare England to England
Cant argue with that logic

Perhaps "shouldn't be compared" would be better. Although you are going to anyway whether its a good idea or not.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:15 am

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Eh? I'm a bit confused by that but what I mean is just because we speak the same language, it isn't the same country.....
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by iaink
Cant argue with that logic

Perhaps "shouldn't be compared" would be better. Although you are going to anyway whether its a good idea or not.
Yeah, I get it now
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:22 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
I'm not there yet but tend to think of it like this. If you emigrated to, say, Thailand, Singapore....somewhere like that, you wouldn't question that you were in a different country with a completely different culture. Okay, so Canada is an English speaking country but it's not England and can't, therefore, be compared. Just a thought.....
Fwiw, I knew what you meant.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

1, when I look at the 3 bedroom fetched house that I could never afford in uk
2, nice new car to drive around in because we both earn double to uk wages
3, seeing the kids happy at school with lots of friends
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:34 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
2, nice new car to drive around in because we both earn double to uk wages
3, seeing the kids happy at school with lots of friends
How long have you been here?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Fwiw, I knew what you meant.
Phew.....ta!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:20 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

To quote
Originally Posted by Canuck2b
For me, I love the fact that our local store has REAL UK Baked Beans, Scott's Porridge and Chocolate digestives......Little tastes of home.
Having some comfort food available in the house helps, in the early years these can be all you need to get through a wave of home sickness, as you stay longer you find they’ll be comforting just being in the cupboard, and not long after that, you’ll use it up and not bother to replace it.
I do keep a few favorite TV shows around, but for me BBC world and Top Gear is my cop out.
I will agree that my experience of most of my early expat meets in what were known ‘expat pubs’ were well populated by those who sort solace in familiar company, ( I would add that wasn’t the case for my one BE meet which was pleasant).
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter

I suppose "fetched" is a spelling mistake but it's a challenging one. There aren't a lot of thatched houses in Canada so that's probably not it. Felched is the best approximation I can manage but I've not heard the term in the context of buildings, does it mean that the house once had urea formaldehyde insulation and it's been removed?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:48 pm
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose "fetched" is a spelling mistake but it's a challenging one. There aren't a lot of thatched houses in Canada so that's probably not it. Felched is the best approximation I can manage but I've not heard the term in the context of buildings, does it mean that the house once had urea formaldehyde insulation and it's been removed?
Funny, I don't think felching will help me feel at all settled. But then I'm quite old fashioned like that.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by arniedog
hi ff although ive not moved out to Canada yet ive 2 kids that live there, the eldest has been there 10 years now and going on what he says i agree with what others have posted . We are hopefully moving to Ontario sept /Oct have have been asking him questions just like this 1. What part of north Essex are you from, its just that we live in brightlingsea and my wife heard through a friend at work that someone else from the town is going Canadian too. Anyway good luck to you and yours with the move
Hey, we are just over the water from you - Mersea Island.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 12:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
Funny, I don't think felching will help me feel at all settled. But then I'm quite old fashioned like that.
Then my suggestion is to get a dog. A Canadian dog. It'll keep you busy, give you something tangible that's local to wherever you are and cause you to meet local people when they're feeling chatty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.