Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 things to feel settled quickly ...

3 things to feel settled quickly ...

Old Apr 1st 2011, 2:02 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3 things to feel settled quickly ...

Originally Posted by dbd33
Then my suggestion is to get a dog. A Canadian dog. It'll keep you busy, give you something tangible that's local to wherever you are and cause you to meet local people when they're feeling chatty.
I'm already exporting an English dog. Will that be enough do you think? Or should I go the whole hog and get a husky?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 2:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
I'm already exporting an English dog. Will that be enough do you think? Or should I go the whole hog and get a husky?
Ah, the English dog will serve for introductions to other dog walkers but will it make you feel settled or remind you of happy times when it fought off marauding bands of feral teens on your behalf? Will picking up after it in Canada make you nostalgic for the days when there was so much crap on the street already you didn't need bother?

Huskies are for people who have 100 fenced acres of tundra, are you moving to Saskatchewan?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 2:48 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah, the English dog will serve for introductions to other dog walkers but will it make you feel settled or remind you of happy times when it fought off marauding bands of feral teens on your behalf? Will picking up after it in Canada make you nostalgic for the days when there was so much crap on the street already you didn't need bother?

Huskies are for people who have 100 fenced acres of tundra, are you moving to Saskatchewan?
It's a slightly gay Jack Russell. And we're moving to the West Coast, so I imagine it'll all go swimmingly well.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:49 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Hey, we are just over the water from you - Mersea Island.
hi there neighbour , ill be walking my dog tomorrow along the prom ill wave at you across the water lol. Its quite amazing you know looking on be there seems to be alot of people in n. Essex the way its looking there will be nobody left here next year ha ha. I did ask Ff where he was but didnt get reply. Dont forget when you leave dont book taxi when the tides in ha ha but i expect you have already thought of that. When are you planing to go to Canada
Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:52 am
Adapting slowly...

Originally Posted by arniedog
hi there neighbour , ill be walking my dog tomorrow along the prom ill wave at you across the water lol. Its quite amazing you know looking on be there seems to be alot of people in n. Essex the way its looking there will be nobody left here next year ha ha. I did ask Ff where he was but didnt get reply. Dont forget when you leave dont book taxi when the tides in ha ha but i expect you have already thought of that. When are you planing to go to Canada
Sorry arniedog - I meant to and then got distracted! I'm between Colchester and Earls Colne, so not a million miles away! I used to live in Wivenhoe, so even closer!

Last edited by Funky Florist; Apr 1st 2011 at 3:53 am. Reason: Spelling. Tut tut.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:03 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Sorry arniedog - I meant to and then got distracted! I'm between Colchester and Earls Colne, so not a million miles away! I used to live in Wivenhoe, so even closer!
hey no worries. The only reason i asked was , as i said before , that my wife was told by a work friend that there was somebody else in b/sea going to Canada soon but couldnt remember who it was or where they were going. It seems that there is a few of us Essex people leaving then when do you plan on going. We are hopefully going Sept/Oct and are heading to Toronto area as that where 2 of our kids are
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:08 am
Adapting slowly...

hey no worries. The only reason i asked was , as i said before , that my wife was told by a work friend that there was somebody else in b/sea going to Canada soon but couldnt remember who it was or where they were going. It seems that there is a few of us Essex people leaving then when do you plan on going. We are hopefully going Sept/Oct and are heading to Toronto area as that where 2 of our kids are
There does seem to be a bit of an exodus, doesn't there? We're going to Vancouver at the end of June we hope. Just waiting for the house sale to go through...
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

I might stroll along the beach tomorrow so I'll wave back! Yes, we live by the tides. Like FunkyFlorist, we are Vancouver-bound, but not until late 2012/early 2013. I'll keep my ears open as to who from Brightlingsea is heading over to Canada - quite a few from round here and they all seem to know each other.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 8:48 am
forever blowing bubbles

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
I might stroll along the beach tomorrow so I'll wave back! Yes, we live by the tides. Like FunkyFlorist, we are Vancouver-bound, but not until late 2012/early 2013. I'll keep my ears open as to who from Brightlingsea is heading over to Canada - quite a few from round here and they all seem to know each other.
of course they all know each other they are all related lol. I couldnt answer before because i got taken away by the men in white coats on sat morning for waving at strange people walking along mersea beach ha ha
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:54 pm
The Ivory's

Richard Ivory is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

We've just come back from Canada on thursday after an interview.
We live in Halstead and will be moving to Canada within 3-6 months
Sold our house last year in Hertfordshire then moved here to start the process.
When going to Canada you definitely will need to leave England behind, couldn't belive it when we arrived back after just a week away.
Nearly getting run off the road by a foreign lorry driver and we had kids in the car.
We will be looking at getting a husky when settled.
Its nice to know theres local people doing it as well, good luck.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:32 pm
forever blowing bubbles

I've been spending much too long on these forums than is probably good for me! I've been doing a lot of reading in the "going to Canada" as well as the "coming back to the UK" forums and it seems that things don't always go as expected/hoped for.

So that got me thinking. We're heading to BC at the end of June (providing the house sale doesn't fall through again) and are really looking forward to it. My question is, once jobs and a place to live is sorted, what can we do that will make us feel at home in Canada?

What are the three things that we can do which will make us feel settled?
ive been having a good think about this thread and i reckon the 3 things i would need to make sure i was settled are my only fools and horses collection,my flowery twats sorry i mean fawlty towers dvds and a never ending supply of yorkshire t-bags Richard where are you thinking of going

Last edited by arniedog; Apr 4th 2011 at 10:35 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

of course they all know each other they are all related lol. I couldnt answer before because i got taken away by the men in white coats on sat morning for waving at strange people walking along mersea beach ha ha
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:54 am
The Ivory's

HI

Were heading for Strathmore in Calgary, have also looked at Mckenzie town. But could prove be to expensive to begin with.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard Ivory
HI

Were heading for Strathmore in Calgary, have also looked at Mckenzie town. But could prove be to expensive to begin with.
Strathmore is about 30 mins east of Calgary
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:28 am
The Ivory's

Alberta then, all in the same facility, just around the corner!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.