Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

Old Jul 3rd 2023, 8:57 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Canuck74's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: England aka The Centre of the Universe
Posts: 1,766
Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

If you are staying more than 3 months in The Netherlands do you have to register with the municipality straight away? Or would I need to do this after I find a job? Because some of the responses I been receiving say "registration at this address is not possible". If I don't register with the municipality where I am living would this cause a problem in finding a job?
Canuck74 is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2023, 8:48 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: Nijmegen
Posts: 30
Dizzyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

Yes you need to register first to be considered for a job.
You need a BSN number (similar to a NI number) and proof that you have the right to work in Europe. Do you have a work visa or are you a EU citizen?

You apply for the BSN at the 'Gemeente' or Council where you live and have to show that you have an address in the area. This then 'registers' you in that area's population census. (If you move from this area you have to register again at your new local Gemeente.)

Thus 'unregistered' rentals will not allow you to do this. If you have no BSN you can't get a job or open a bank account. You’ll also have to start paying for health insurance and this is back dated from when you arrive….

Dizzyp is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2023, 11:44 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Canuck74's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: England aka The Centre of the Universe
Posts: 1,766
Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

Originally Posted by Dizzyp
Yes you need to register first to be considered for a job.
You need a BSN number (similar to a NI number) and proof that you have the right to work in Europe. Do you have a work visa or are you a EU citizen?

You apply for the BSN at the 'Gemeente' or Council where you live and have to show that you have an address in the area. This then 'registers' you in that area's population census. (If you move from this area you have to register again at your new local Gemeente.)

Thus 'unregistered' rentals will not allow you to do this. If you have no BSN you can't get a job or open a bank account. You’ll also have to start paying for health insurance and this is back dated from when you arrive….
Hi Dizzyp,

Thanks for the info.

I have an Irish Passport. I'm finding a lot of the Air BnB rooms won't allow registering with the 'Gemeente' or Council'. Some of them are ridiculous expensive!
Canuck74 is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2023, 12:50 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: Nijmegen
Posts: 30
Dizzyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

I found this article that might help https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/o...on-netherlands

Join the British Expats in the Netherlands FB group as it’s quite an active group and you may find more help. There are also quite a few FB groups for renting a room with possible registration.

Good luck!

Dizzyp is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2023, 11:34 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Canuck74's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: England aka The Centre of the Universe
Posts: 1,766
Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

Originally Posted by Dizzyp
I found this article that might help https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/o...on-netherlands

Join the British Expats in the Netherlands FB group as it’s quite an active group and you may find more help. There are also quite a few FB groups for renting a room with possible registration.

Good luck!
I had a look at the Dutch Government website and found the following https://www.government.nl/topics/per...a-non-resident

Registering with the municipality for a short stay in the Netherlands

Are you moving to the Netherlands? Are you going to live in the Netherlands for a period of no more than 4 months within a 6-month period? Then, when registering with the municipality you register as a non-resident. You will then be listed in the Register voor Niet-Ingezetenen – RNI (Non-residents Records Database). You can register at a municipality that has a desk for non-residents. This is called an RNI-loket. There are 19 municipalities in the Netherlands with an RNI-loket.

Obtaining your BSN after registering in the RNI

After registering in the RNI you will be given a Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number). You will need this in any dealings you have with the Government of the Netherlands, such as when managing your tax affairs.

With this I would be able to work?
Canuck74 is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2023, 7:49 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: Nijmegen
Posts: 30
Dizzyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

That would work as only EU citizens can get a RNI. But it’s only temporary and you still need to find a permanent place to live. Have you looked for accommodation outside Amsterdam, such as Haarlem?
Dizzyp is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2023, 9:13 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Canuck74's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: England aka The Centre of the Universe
Posts: 1,766
Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

Originally Posted by Dizzyp
That would work as only EU citizens can get a RNI. But it’s only temporary and you still need to find a permanent place to live. Have you looked for accommodation outside Amsterdam, such as Haarlem?
I been looking all The Netherlands. Not sure finding a place in Belgium and working in The Netherlands would be possible.
Canuck74 is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2023, 7:03 am
  #8  
 
Casa Santo Estevo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Galicia
Posts: 3,137
Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

AirBnB are temporary rentals. Very occasionally vacation parks may and I cannot enforce that enough may allow you to register that you live there.
You should perhaps search this forum for more information on this subject.
Salary requirements for moving to NL
Any advice for moving to The Netherlands from the U.K
Casa Santo Estevo is offline  
Old Jul 6th 2023, 8:22 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Red_Wine_Fairy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Noord Holland
Posts: 568
Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

Originally Posted by Canuck74
I had a look at the Dutch Government website and found the following https://www.government.nl/topics/per...a-non-resident

Registering with the municipality for a short stay in the Netherlands

Are you moving to the Netherlands? Are you going to live in the Netherlands for a period of no more than 4 months within a 6-month period? Then, when registering with the municipality you register as a non-resident. You will then be listed in the Register voor Niet-Ingezetenen – RNI (Non-residents Records Database). You can register at a municipality that has a desk for non-residents. This is called an RNI-loket. There are 19 municipalities in the Netherlands with an RNI-loket.

Obtaining your BSN after registering in the RNI

After registering in the RNI you will be given a Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number). You will need this in any dealings you have with the Government of the Netherlands, such as when managing your tax affairs.

With this I would be able to work?
Yes. It changes automatically to non-temporary (on the gemeente database) when you register your address with the signed rental contract in hand.

As a BSN is vital to all dealings here, do not be tempted by 'registration not possible' - you need to register so that you remain here legally (that and basic Dutch Health insurance). This practice is illegal and the person advertising knows it, but is still trying to take advantage of you. Many of these 'homes' are social rent. It can take 10 years for someone to get a social housing unit. Hook up with a partner and go to live with them? Smart Dutchies know they don't want to give their home up only to find out the relationship doesn't work, and then need to wait another 10 years, and so they will pull the 'registration not possible' card so that the unlucky subtenant has no rights, but is paying the (controlled) rent plus a nice little side income.... so long as the housing association doesn't find out. It must be pretty risk free because so many do it.

If you can afford it, consider either a shared room to start with (still expensive enough) where you can register, or look for a serviced apartment which is rented by the month. Once you are on the ground, it will get easier because you can head for viewings and put the word out in your work/social circle and this is how many properties change hands, without ever being advertised. But prices here are beyond stupid due to the housing shortage being chronic It used to just be in the Randstad area, but as less and less people can find a home here, its now nationwide. Many of my colleagues live in either Leiden or Almere, both a train ride away from major cities. My daughter says one place bucking the trend (more rentals than tenants) is Lelystad, to the north of Almere. As employers pay for your railcard anyway, this might be an interesting place to look at if you're not deadset on living right in the middle of a city.

Red_Wine_Fairy is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2023, 5:14 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Canuck74's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: England aka The Centre of the Universe
Posts: 1,766
Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
Yes. It changes automatically to non-temporary (on the gemeente database) when you register your address with the signed rental contract in hand.

As a BSN is vital to all dealings here, do not be tempted by 'registration not possible' - you need to register so that you remain here legally (that and basic Dutch Health insurance). This practice is illegal and the person advertising knows it, but is still trying to take advantage of you. Many of these 'homes' are social rent. It can take 10 years for someone to get a social housing unit. Hook up with a partner and go to live with them? Smart Dutchies know they don't want to give their home up only to find out the relationship doesn't work, and then need to wait another 10 years, and so they will pull the 'registration not possible' card so that the unlucky subtenant has no rights, but is paying the (controlled) rent plus a nice little side income.... so long as the housing association doesn't find out. It must be pretty risk free because so many do it.

If you can afford it, consider either a shared room to start with (still expensive enough) where you can register, or look for a serviced apartment which is rented by the month. Once you are on the ground, it will get easier because you can head for viewings and put the word out in your work/social circle and this is how many properties change hands, without ever being advertised. But prices here are beyond stupid due to the housing shortage being chronic It used to just be in the Randstad area, but as less and less people can find a home here, its now nationwide. Many of my colleagues live in either Leiden or Almere, both a train ride away from major cities. My daughter says one place bucking the trend (more rentals than tenants) is Lelystad, to the north of Almere. As employers pay for your railcard anyway, this might be an interesting place to look at if you're not deadset on living right in the middle of a city.
I been having a look for rooms in Lelystad, Leiden and Almere. Found a quite a few rooms that look good and sent for more info. Has anyone used Kamernet to look for a room or flat to rent?
Canuck74 is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2023, 1:23 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Red_Wine_Fairy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Noord Holland
Posts: 568
Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a room to rent in The Netherlands

Yes, Kamernet is pretty widely used here. But it's not scammer-free, so if you get the standard pay-the-money-and-I'll-send-you-the-key kind of scams, run for the hills. Same with Facebook; if you find any apartments for rent in Amsterdam for under 900 a month, it's probably a scam. Without a viewing first (to make sure that the place isn't inhabited already), don't do it. The whole housing market here is warped. and some (but by no means all) landlords will try to exploit you. It's good to know your rights (same if you move to any foreign country, I'm sure)

I'm sure you know this site, but it's useful for all aspects of moving here https://www.iamexpat.nl/housing/netherlands-rentals
Red_Wine_Fairy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.