Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Any advice for moving to The Netherlands from the U.K

Any advice for moving to The Netherlands from the U.K

Old Jan 16th 2023, 12:02 am
Just Joined

JChadwick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advice for moving to The Netherlands from the U.K

Hi all,

First time poster here. Thanks for taking the time to read and help. Any and all advice is truly appreciated.

I have a job offer from a company in The Netherlands. It is a once in a life time opportunity and ever fibre in my body is telling me I cannot reject this job.

i am racking my brains day and night trying to figure out the tax on my income, I thankfully fall into the 30% ruling but I still cannot figure out what it is that will be taxed once the 30% is taken into account. I have trawled the Internet to find an answer and I am getting different figures every where. Any advice or contacts that can give me a definitive answer on this?

I also need to find a place to rent, any advice on finding cheaper rental around the Deriven area? All the rentals seem astronomically high PCM. Or is this just how it is? Is private rental cheaper? Is rent tax deductible? It's a minefield.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance you can give.

Cheers

JC
Old Jan 16th 2023, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice for moving to The Netherlands from the U.K

Originally Posted by JChadwick
Hi all,

First time poster here. Thanks for taking the time to read and help. Any and all advice is truly appreciated.

I have a job offer from a company in The Netherlands. It is a once in a life time opportunity and ever fibre in my body is telling me I cannot reject this job.

i am racking my brains day and night trying to figure out the tax on my income, I thankfully fall into the 30% ruling but I still cannot figure out what it is that will be taxed once the 30% is taken into account. I have trawled the Internet to find an answer and I am getting different figures every where. Any advice or contacts that can give me a definitive answer on this?

I also need to find a place to rent, any advice on finding cheaper rental around the Deriven area? All the rentals seem astronomically high PCM. Or is this just how it is? Is private rental cheaper? Is rent tax deductible? It's a minefield.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance you can give.

Cheers

JC
Although this is a German page, all explained here: You just tick Yes under 30%-ruling?

https://www.arbeitnow.com/en/tools/s...or/netherlands
Old Jan 18th 2023, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Although the German page is informative, it doesn't really give a realistic idea of what you will be paying in the Netherlands.

First of all visit this link:

https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/w...rcent-facility

There is plenty of English Language info. available there about taxes.

First of all the 30% rule is NOT a 30% tax rate, but a REDUCTION of taxes by disregarding 30% of your salary for taxation.
This is as compensation for the additional cost of living in a foreign country.

Also, you should be aware it is only a temporary measure, so you have to reapply or at least remain entitled to receive it should you stay for any length of time.
In addition the government is currently discussing the scrapping of this allowance altogether.

- Taxes are higher than in UK.
- The general cost of living is higher than in UK. (Food/Petrol/Cars etc..)
- Rents are significantly higher
- General quality of life is also higher
- You have to pay a separate Health Insurance premium in addition to contributions made within the Income Tax.
- High salaries also attract an additional Health Insurance premium.
- You sometimes have to pay local council taxes (but these are not as expensive as in UK)

Good luck with your research.

Old Jan 24th 2023, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JChadwick
The URL provided to the Belastingdienst (tax office) is your starting point. A lot of information is available in English.
I have not heard of a place called Deriven. Can you tell me where this is?
Rent is not tax deductible.
Old Jan 24th 2023, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Rents are higher, but in general the standard of accommodation and your rights as a renter are also greater.
If you are working in the "Randstad" (Suburban area between Rotterdam and the Hague basically) it's better to rent out of the city and commute if you want a lower rent.

Old Jan 24th 2023, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

The 30% is very difficult to define. Some employers will give you the money (ie tax only 70% of your salary and give you the other 30% tax-free) as they should, and other companies will keep that money for themselves. Even some big name companies. Make sure your new HR define that that 30% means to you and ask them for a dummy payslip so you get to see your netto salary after deductions. Think of it as your first step be becoming Dutch.... be direct! You want to know your Netto and HR can fulfil this request very easily. Incidentally, the employer needs to apply for the 30% for you - have they written this into your contract? We had 13 points written into hubby's first employment contract, including 2 extra days paid-time-off, to deal with official engagements (town hall registration and tax office registration weren't combined back in those days, but registering for a visa now requires a trip to the IND that never used to be required as EU citizens).

By Deriven, do you mean Driven (in Amersfoort, the I.T. capital of NL)? Finding a place is tough right now; everywhere, and for everyone (to the extent that some people of a certain leaning will discuss loudly about foreigners taking all the homes). You won't qualify for social housing, but if you want to cut costs, look for vrij-sector rentals. These are homes offered by housing associations to subsidise their social rents, and they are usually fitted* out to a higher standard. If you confirm your area/nearest city, I can find out which website you might find these on.
*fitted = kitchen and bathroom. Like all Dutch rentals they will still come barebones - needing flooring etc. However, they will come with a legitimate rental contract that you will need to register at the town hall - don't be tempted by sub letters offering cheaper accommodation. I would seriously recommend asking your employer if they would put you up in a serviced apartment for a couple of months as part of the job offer, while you look for a place, because you will have a much better chance of finding somewhere once you're on the ground. Also, don't feel obliged to live that close - employers pay for travel to/from work here (paragraph 1: be direct, confirm this with your employer), so anywhere on the rail network is doable if you prefer to live outside town.