Are you a snob?

Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a snob?

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Yeh right - and you were present to see the facial expression, hear the tone and the context.....

Are you Australian?
If you think he was being serious, then perhaps he was, but let's face it, car salesmen are not usually employed for their intellect.

I am Australian. Actually I was at a school meeting the other day (in Dubai) and we have an Australian principal at our school. He was giving a talk and every Australian was in stitches. Everyone else was looking at us as if we were mad, it's common for people that are not familiar with Australian sense of humor to interpret what's being said to them in jest as something serious.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:58 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
ha ha... that could be true. But it could also be down to us Brits, and how we like to run ourselves down.
I used to belong to the group of 'self-abusers' but I see things differently now.

If we were to return to the UK at some point I would definitely be more acutely aware of the things that are good about the UK but that I probably used to criticise.

One thing I really admire about Australia is how many of the younger generations (and I don't mean sea cadets, air force cadets, navy cadets, scouts or cubs) seem to genuinely take part in the remembrance ceremonies for wars fought, past and present and appear genuinely grateful for the sacrifices made by previous generations for their benefit today.

In this sense, apathy rules in the UK.

That's just my perspective on this particular issue.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
If you think he was being serious, then perhaps he was, but let's face it, car salesmen are not usually employed for their intellect.

I am Australian. Actually I was at a school meeting the other day (in Dubai) and we have an Australian principal at our school. He was giving a talk and every Australian was in stitches. Everyone else was looking at us as if we were mad, it's common for people that are not familiar with Australian sense of humor to interpret what's being said to them in jest as something serious.
Hang on - he wasn't a car salesman at all. It was a somebody I met through my work - not at all connected with the car industry. (An accountant actually - renowned for their sense of humour?)
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:06 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markallwood
You're right, you very rarely hear Australians beating themselves up about things... I quite like that.

Compared to the UK, you can really see why they came up with the expression "whinging pom". I wonder, what were the origins of that expression... I bet it can be traced back to one particular event. Wonder what it was?
I watched a program about ten pound poms only yesterday. It explained the Aussies came up with the term after Brits, moving out here as part of the migration program, complained after the houses that they had actually been promised as part of the program, turned out to be Nissen Huts with five or more families per hut. One in four ten pound poms left within only a few years.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kim67

And vice versa I believe....
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I watched a program about ten pound poms only yesterday. It explained the Aussies came up with the term after Brits, moving out here as part of the migration program, complained after the houses that they had actually been promised as part of the program, turned out to be Nissen Huts with five or more families per hut. One in four ten pound poms left within only a few years.
There you go. Sounds like a fair whinge to me - but I suppose one might think that they were just being a little snobbish.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Whats the percentage of Brits returning within a few years now then?

The ten pound pommers werent happy with their housing, the 10 grand pommers of today arent happy with the cost of lettuce and the lack of marksies!! ( well the whinging ones anyway!!)

I think lots of returnees look to blame something when generally the reason they arent happy can be found in the mirror!!

Having been here 12 months I can say the initial euphoria has WELL passed and I can see the differences between 'home' and 'new home'.

Some things piss me off, some things pissed me off in Wales...
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
There you go. Sounds like a fair whinge to me - but I suppose one might think that they were just being a little snobbish.
Sounded very fair to me.. particularly as some of these camps were in WA. Not sure I would fancy living in a tin hut with a million flies and a dozen other people in 40c+ either. !
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WelshSarah

I think lots of returnees look to blame something when generally the reason they arent happy can be found in the mirror!!
Agreed. I have said in the past that NOBODY goes home because they can't find Tesco's. The same program estimated that between 15 and 20% of migrants, not just Brits, return home within only a few years, but that real figures were difficult to obtain because of the methods used in collecting the data.

If it really is 20%, then I think that's a huge number, given the hurdles you need to jump to get here in the first place and the substantial costs involved in moving back.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Agreed. I have said in the past that NOBODY goes home because they can't find Tesco's. The same program estimated that between 15 and 20% of migrants, not just Brits, return home within only a few years, but that real figures were difficult to obtain because of the methods used in collecting the data.

If it really is 20%, then I think that's a huge number, given the hurdles you need to jump to get here in the first place and the substantial costs involved in moving back.

I think that as you mentioned earlier, using "I miss Tescos/lettuce is expensive" has become a cheap and lazy weapon - used by those who see any criticism of Australia as being heresy.

It would be interesting to see how many of those who are so quick to criticise complainants as being whingers have ever posted anything negative about Australia on these boards. Everything can't be brilliant...
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

But havent you found that the ones who moan about not finding Tescos dont settle for that very reason... They dont want to adapt, fit in, move on... They want little britain in the sun. But its not and its a bloody long way from the original one!!!

I also think circumstance plays a big part... If alls hunky dorey then its all good and weeks turn into months but imagine if a parent 12,000 miles away needs you....

For the record I love living here ( shoeless people and extortionate lettuces and all!!) but I thank god my family has settled in so well or there have been times I would have got back on that plane....

And then probably been a ping ponger!!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:32 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

But havent you found that the ones who moan about not finding Tescos dont settle for that very reason... They dont want to adapt, fit in, move on... They want little britain in the sun. But its not and its a bloody long way from the original one!!!
Nah, I don't think that's exclusively the case.

Some people use minor issues to project their larger issues BUT there are also those people with genuine observations and criticisms, regardless of the fact that they would like to see Tescos arrive in Australia.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

I also think circumstance plays a big part... If alls hunky dorey then its all good and weeks turn into months but imagine if a parent 12,000 miles away needs you....

For the record I love living here ( shoeless people and extortionate lettuces and all!!) but I thank god my family has settled in so well or there have been times I would have got back on that plane....

And then probably been a ping ponger!!

I think that "I miss Tescos" has been conveniently misinterpreted.

I've lived in SE Asia for a long time as well as here and the UK. Apart from a relatively short period, I've been out of the UK since late 99. I've shopped in fish markets with rats running around, I've shopped in halal stores to find meat and I've bought from spice markets - all as part of a weekly shop.
You could say that I'm used to living in different cultures.

For me, Tescos was brilliant. It was competitively priced, it had a great range of products and perhaps most importantly, given how fast the pace of life is in the UK, it was convenient.

Do I miss it? Yes. Why? Because I'm frustrated at the lack of competitive pricing here, at the lack of convenience and at the lack of quality food and quality customer sevice.

Does this mean that I need to go and live back in the UK? No.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

But do you really think if Tesco was here it would price lower.. Of course it wouldnt!! It would just strangle the smaller premises out of business and charge what they like!!Just as its done in the UK..

I agree that it WAS convenient but it wasnt as cheap as others by any means...
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Nah, I don't think that's exclusively the case.

Some people use minor issues to project their larger issues BUT there are also those people with genuine observations and criticisms, regardless of the fact that they would like to see Tescos arrive in Australia.
Agreed... I think I am one of them.. Coles & Woolies could do with a bit more competition but I would hate to see the smaller businesses being forced out of business by the arrival of Tesco or such like..

The fact you can still get a personal service here is lovely..And the smaller butchers, bakers etc ARE cheaper mostly too...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.