Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are (still) in Australia when.....

You know you are (still) in Australia when.....

Old Aug 7th 2018, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are (still) in Australia when.....

Originally Posted by GarryP
Examples I'm thinking of do have (small) back gardens, so the smoking idea doesn't sound right.

It's not so much 'law' as I've never really worked out why they do it and why it is so prevalent. There is some kind of cultural thing about garages and it being a halfway place between 'outside' and 'inside' I think.

It's very much an australian thing.
Man Cave. With the outside connection as you mention.

I am kind of thinking about garages in the UK and they are typically small if they exist at all. Not really appropriate for a man cave large enough to house all the junk, tools and a social space.

McMansions in Australia often have large double garages. Perfect for a cave.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 2:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Man Cave. With the outside connection as you mention.

I am kind of thinking about garages in the UK and they are typically small if they exist at all. Not really appropriate for a man cave large enough to house all the junk, tools and a social space.

McMansions in Australia often have large double garages. Perfect for a cave.
It's partly the man cave thing, but with the addition of 'the third place' vibe. The garage door is up not because it has to be, but as something of an 'open for non-business' invitation.

As I say, it's a weird cultural thing, akin to the unwritten rules of 'buying a round' in the UK.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 6:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Examples I'm thinking of do have (small) back gardens, so the smoking idea doesn't sound right.

It's not so much 'law' as I've never really worked out why they do it and why it is so prevalent. There is some kind of cultural thing about garages and it being a halfway place between 'outside' and 'inside' I think.

It's very much an australian thing.
All the houses had good back garden space but people didn't use it,It was more a case of sitting out front, being nosey and commenting on all the other neighbours. I was viewed as "odd" even by my then OH because I preferred to sit in the privacy of my own back garden!
Old Aug 7th 2018, 11:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
All the houses had good back garden space but people didn't use it,It was more a case of sitting out front, being nosey and commenting on all the other neighbours. I was viewed as "odd" even by my then OH because I preferred to sit in the privacy of my own back garden!
I quite like the 'nosey neighbour' concept! In our last airbnb rental in Liverpool, the old bloke next door sat out the front day in day out. He'd set himself up with his book and a flask of tea, and chat to everyone going past. Everyone knew him and most would stop for a brief conversation and catch up.

I think it's nice, and it's one of the things I loved about the UK. Lots of little communities, instead of everyone locked away in their own houses. Makes for a friendlier and safer place to live in my opinion.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 1:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a house around the corner from me (not boganland) where the elderly couple sat in their chairs in the garage and watched the world go by (a few cars, it's a no through road). Sadly the guy died and the garage door was shut for about a year. Not long ago the old lady was back watching the world go by with an empty chair next to her. It's very sweet and seriously bloody sad. Nothing bogan about it at all. If the sun's out, and neighbours wander round, we may chat on the drive with a beer in our hands. We did that in the UK as well.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 2:56 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

People are selling their 10 (or more) years second hand old crappy furniture and demanding the same price as they paid for it originally. Or you see “paid $500, accept $490”. 😃
Old Aug 27th 2018, 2:58 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

You want to have a barbie but first you gotta get past those pesky snakes

This video of an 81-year-old grandma removing two pythons from a BBQ is the most Australian thing we've ever seen
Old Aug 27th 2018, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Great Video

My Wife would definitely give that a go, I already asked her specifically, "They're not Poisonous" was her flippant response.. Should have seen her trying to sort out a Tiger Snake when we had our onsite Caravan and Annex up at Nagambie, she destroyed it's hiding spot as it had swum over the Goulburn River to our heavily grassed bank and she wasn't having it hiding in there with our youngsters running around. She was out there pulling and picking and banging the thick couch grass within a minute of it's arrival. She's not so brave with spiders though.

I'd say a few people on here would at least open the bbq to let the Pythons go in their own time.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting the 'noisy' concept. Sounds a bit 'twitching curtains' Midsomers Murder sticky beak sort of thing so well executed by the English, particularly in Middle Class localities where neighbours are too often kept at arms distance. Not so much in working class areas where I recall folk, often older, sitting outside their premises, passing greetings and seemingly knowing everybody. Something akin to Southern Europe, but too a far lesser extent. No idea if still very prevalent in this age and suspect it has declined considerably, but one poster made a note of it up north, so suspect it goes on, but far lesser, otherwise an individual would probably not have provoked a comment.

A shame these things die out. No wonder so many, especially aged folk, complain of loneliness. It seems the more connected the more this becomes a problem.

Returning to Australia a few weeks ago, even after only a little over two months away, the sighting of so few pedestrian traffic about and houses, that for all intent and purposes, could be empty with a complete lack of life, always is a reminder I'm back in Australia.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Interesting the 'noisy' concept. Sounds a bit 'twitching curtains' Midsomers Murder sticky beak sort of thing so well executed by the English, particularly in Middle Class localities where neighbours are too often kept at arms distance. Not so much in working class areas where I recall folk, often older, sitting outside their premises, passing greetings and seemingly knowing everybody. Something akin to Southern Europe, but too a far lesser extent. No idea if still very prevalent in this age and suspect it has declined considerably, but one poster made a note of it up north, so suspect it goes on, but far lesser, otherwise an individual would probably not have provoked a comment.

A shame these things die out. No wonder so many, especially aged folk, complain of loneliness. It seems the more connected the more this becomes a problem.

Returning to Australia a few weeks ago, even after only a little over two months away, the sighting of so few pedestrian traffic about and houses, that for all intent and purposes, could be empty with a complete lack of life, always is a reminder I'm back in Australia.

Quite a bit of foot traffic around here Troub, Well in relation to a Lot of Aus... . So not the whole of Australia

Lots of crowded footpaths about 800 meters away from me, and they stay crowded all the way into the City.

However Nosey I do understand. The twitching net curtains were the bain of my Childhood and Youth back in London. It's not Aussies hiding behind the nets of UK Suburbia, They're generally doing it out in the open.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 8:20 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Great Video

My Wife would definitely give that a go, I already asked her specifically, "They're not Poisonous" was her flippant response.. Should have seen her trying to sort out a Tiger Snake when we had our onsite Caravan and Annex up at Nagambie, she destroyed it's hiding spot as it had swum over the Goulburn River to our heavily grassed bank and she wasn't having it hiding in there with our youngsters running around. She was out there pulling and picking and banging the thick couch grass within a minute of it's arrival. She's not so brave with spiders though.

I'd say a few people on here would at least open the bbq to let the Pythons go in their own time.
My observation has been that older Aussie women are very gutsy, almost fearless in comparison to women elsewhere.

I'd probably open the BBQ for a while and hope they'd slide off of their own accord but my patience wouldn't last long though....
Old Aug 30th 2018, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Quite a bit of foot traffic around here Troub, Well in relation to a Lot of Aus... . So not the whole of Australia

Lots of crowded footpaths about 800 meters away from me, and they stay crowded all the way into the City.

However Nosey I do understand. The twitching net curtains were the bain of my Childhood and Youth back in London. It's not Aussies hiding behind the nets of UK Suburbia, They're generally doing it out in the open.
Melbourne having the greatest density in Australia would indeed have pockets of urban foot traffic intensity. Indeed found much the same in Sydney, when used to stat in Newtown. But I have driven around suburbs of Melbourne enough(not in recent years, mind) To know it is only in particular areas and hardly the norm.

But coming in from Perth airport to where I live, close to the city, it always strikes me. just how Perth suburbs are so lifeless. Probably less than the fingers on one hand people passed en route, over a time frame of thirty minutes. Just a thing that I always pick up on with the initial return.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The garage is definitely a man cave particularly in the case of a double.

I suspect with tiny backyards that an open door gives a bloke a chance to be outside, away from the family and potter around, and still be in the shade.

Too hot in the backyard.

You see men proudly display a workbench with a tool pegboard complete with outlined placeholders barely used.

Around here people build barns and never use them.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 9:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You see this out of your front window.

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You see this out of your front window.

Indeed. We have a flock of them down the back this last year or two.

How about - there is blossom out in the equivalent of late Feb - yes it is cold, but the sun is a fair bit higher in the sky.
When you are thinking about a Back Country snow trip and fishing trip - both activities within days of each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.