Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Wikiposts

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Old Aug 29th 2009, 7:36 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You seem to laugh at your own 'jokes' an awful lot. Why is that?
Was,nt a Joke just an observation................mm
Old Aug 29th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm sure you do feel that, but you're not exactly a man with a finger on the pulse.
Please explain this remark.I just don't have the intellect to comprehend you folk living in "the alternative Australia".
Sure the rate is favourable at the moment .I still have funds with Westpac which I drip feed here when the rate is favourable.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackhigh
Flea...I'm with you on this one....
Same here in hertfordshire, south east England. I came back from Brisbane in April after having lived there for 18 months and we've had a good spring and summer here. Most days have been 22c or over + some hotter days which is rather pleasant. Not many days when I haven't been in shorts and t shirt. Most definately has been a south/north/west split though. Sure we've had some rain but can't really say its ruined anything and it's meant that the countryside is looking wonderful. I've enjoyed being in the sunshine and played my sport more here in the UK in the last 4 months than the whole of the 18 months I was in Australia where it was too hot in spring and summer to go out and you can't enjoy the light nights So for me its much more of an outdoor lifestyle here in the south east of the UK than it ever was in Oz. You can actually enjoy the sunshine here!
Damn!And I was under the illusion the sun only shone over my house!!!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Hutch;7887265]Operating a computer inside an office ages you? How come the population of Britain don't all look like Last of the Summer Wine extras then? Oh wait ...

Nah, that's just you. We have no aircon and I have never had trouble sleeping nor have I ever got out of bed at 6:00am in a bath of sweat. Maybe you've got swine flu? Eat salads and BBQs for three months? Ermm, yea ok - whatever floats your boat but my family just go on eating in the usual way. The T.V. will be fine I'll import all the good quality stuff from the U.K. and America and have great fun watching it with a big old smile on my face, knowing that you've footed the bill for it. [/QUOTE I did'nt have air cond either!Just me hey?Thats weird because when I was back in oz recently everyone whinged to me (yes aussies as well)how uncomfortable the summer was last year,no sleep,could'nt eat no appetite,too hot to cook (unless on the BBQ at 40+?????Sounds fun!)Footing the bill?Enjoy!Look at it as a present from me for having to endure such shit tv over there!Happy to be of service to you!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Remember - where most of the population live, summer is only 3 months, even in Australia.

It's also 3 months in the UK.

I prefer to define my year on what I can do outside summer. Which in Melbourne, is 6months + of very agreeable weather...like an agreeable Uk summer...
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Remember - where most of the population live, summer is only 3 months, even in Australia.
True, spring and autumn are always glorious, those three months of summer can get pretty hot but hey, that's what the pool is for (especially when the kids are in bed and the stars are out and it's just you and the mrs - how often can you do THAT back in blighty?)
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
True, spring and autumn are always glorious, those three months of summer can get pretty hot but hey, that's what the pool is for (especially when the kids are in bed and the stars are out and it's just you and the mrs - how often can you do THAT back in blighty?)
:-)

...you also might define your Australian year by how you cope with the 3 month winter..which for some, might be too much in Melbourne - not the cold, just less sunshine - but more than in the UK.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

The winter we are just about to leave here in Qld was better than any summer I ever had in the UK. By a long way. I can't wait for the heat, the pool is ready and the wine in the fridge As for the claim you can't go outdoors during the summer - Bring it on.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
The winter we are just about to leave here in Qld was better than any summer I ever had in the UK. By a long way. I can't wait for the heat, the pool is ready and the wine in the fridge As for the claim you can't go outdoors during the summer - Bring it on.
Again - in many parts of Australia, you don't need a good summer - there is another season that will do it for ya to do all the things that many rightly consider to be summer-like activities..

In the UK, people will pin their hopes on their summer. In Australia people are happy to take spring and autumn quite happily, and in Melbourne, many will not complain about every summer's day as there are cooler days.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
Well I guess you have that advantage but we tend to head over to somewhere like Tuscany where we can hire a villa or house!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevin747
Please explain this remark.I just don't have the intellect to comprehend you folk living in "the alternative Australia".
Sure the rate is favourable at the moment .I still have funds with Westpac which I drip feed here when the rate is favourable.
I'm not surprised.

By way of explanation. I've found that some of your vitriolic comments on Aus re fine restaurants , art galleries,museums and Victoria re NSW have as much bearing on my reality as the bible does.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:09 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not surprised.

By way of explanation. I've found that some of your vitriolic comments on Aus re fine restaurants , art galleries,museums and Victoria re NSW have as much bearing on my reality as the bible does.
Why do people take Kevin747 so seriously anyway? It's not as if he is personally and verbally attacking anyone is it? He does have the right to express how he feels about Australia and considering he did live here for a while, makes him a good candidate for a wee bit of advice, don't you think?
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

I'm not surprised.

I have to say having come from Edinburgh, which I am sure you will agree, has plenty museums, old buildings and the biggest arts festival in the world, I have never felt I have missed out in Brisbane. I have been to lots of shows and exhibitions and I am certain Melly will be even better for this sort of thing. As for restaurants, Bris is not great(neither was Edinburgh) but I am a superb cook so I don't care. I never had time to cook in the uk but really enjoy it here.
I fully understand people moving to Australia and then moving back because they prefer Britain but am mystified at the need to keep coming back with endless put downs of Australia and Australians My life is far superior here but I feel no need to run down Britain or Brits.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Why do people take Kevin747 so seriously anyway? It's not as if he is personally and verbally attacking anyone is it? He does have the right to express how he feels about Australia and considering he did live here for a while, makes him a good candidate for a wee bit of advice, don't you think?
Absolutely. By the same token I can surely be allowed to give a wee comment if I think he is talking pish?
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I don't take him seriously, what gave you that impression

Not sure where you're coming from of what bandwagon your riding but I was just answering his question honestly. He asked the question. I gave the answer. It would have been rude not to. The bigger question is surely: why is my location itching his arris?

As for an honest answer to your question. It could make him a good candidate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.