Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you do it all again?

View Poll Results: WOuld you do it all again? (emigrate that is)
Yes
57.80%
Jury is still out on that one
8.26%
I'll let you know when I've done it for the first time!
2.75%
Yes but to somewhere other than Australia
6.42%
No
14.68%
You having a giraffe? I'd rather crawl round the desert with a mouthful of rocks
10.09%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Would you do it all again?

Old May 2nd 2011, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Default Re: Would you do it all again?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Once you walk out on your past life its gone... there and then.

If I could rewind to the point, 5 years ago, when my company asked me if I would fancy the move to Australia, with hindsight I would probably answer "no"; rather than the "yes" I said first time round.
Having said that, the question of if I would I go back to the UK again now, is a difficult one to answer. On balance, at this precise moment, I probably wouldn't, but I would hate to think that I'd never return to live there again one day.
Past life well and truly gone and some asects for the good but overall I'm now a lot worse off in many aspects that work and financially can not be undone but worth the sacrifice of staying here for son's sake as much more opportunity for him here.

Originally Posted by mic n mat
I would say in that statement my experiences here parallels it. Except for I refuse to believe or even say that I am stuck here. If that were the case I would end it now. But there are far too many other places yet to experience, there are some real gems on this planet - Palau, Cortona, Victoria, Hawaii... So at present I'll be patient and build my options base and keep my eye on the time when I can pull the pin on this place, shake the dust from my feet as I enter the plane and making sure I don't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out...
Financially and work wise I am stuck as a return to UK would cause even more backward steps and because as other poster said you can't return to the positive elements of the past as everything has changed. So will make what I can of what i have left here as have the most important thing my son and hope to give him better future where possible. Don't feel need to change country, as if I'm going to give it a go may as well do it here.
Old May 2nd 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Yes but 5 - 7 years earlier, that way I wouldn't have had to come back to London to work in the City to make enough to live in Sydney.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAP01
No , lost to much
The same here, I would have never done it if I knew the shit was waiting for me here.

But my OH would say yes he would do it all over again sadly. he has been the winner in the job market, I have been the deseparte house wife I hate my life.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:22 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
The same here, I would have never done it if I knew the shit was waiting for me here.

But my OH would say yes he would do it all over again sadly. he has been the winner in the job market, I have been the deseparte house wife I hate my life.
I'm so sorry you feel so sad. Remember, there are lots of people like you out there, so you're not alone. Hang in there, things will get better.
Old May 3rd 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
YES !!! ( but I'd like it to have been 10 years ago, not 3.)
Ditto exactly.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

If Chris at work and you can afford to be a woman of leisure go for it but you need to find fun activities you enjoy while kids at school, pamper yourself while you can. Is job market there worse than QLD?
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pproehann
If Chris at work and you can afford to be a woman of leisure go for it but you need to find fun activities you enjoy while kids at school, pamper yourself while you can. Is job market there worse than QLD?
It's been not what I have expected my life be like, I'm very very lonely, my posh area is extremely boring I want to move somewhere where I might see some human beings.
Trust me I do go out to my local shopping center but how much fun do u get to sit on your own & drink coffee.
I have been looking for jobs too but I have problems with not being able to do my hours to fit with children's life which is during school hours.
Chris is never around even when he is not traveling he doesn't come home till late & when he is at home he's working on projects or making international phone calls, or working at weekends from home or being dead tried that he has no energy left in him, I tell you I leading such exciting life that is killing me slowly.

I had a life back in qld some very nice friends that I can rely on in case of emergency, I can't believe I gave it all up for this boring life in NSW.
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brissybee
I'm so sorry you feel so sad. Remember, there are lots of people like you out there, so you're not alone. Hang in there, things will get better.
I'm only living in hope, not much going for me, even my cat goes to sleep during the day, I'm becoming mindful type of house wife now days. I cook bake super clean the house but my timing is getting better now days I seem to finish everything so much faster & shorter time as well, all I can say thank god for Internet.
Old May 3rd 2011, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only living in hope, not much going for me, even my cat goes to sleep during the day, I'm becoming mindful type of house wife now days. I cook bake super clean the house but my timing is getting better now days I seem to finish everything so much faster & shorter time as well, all I can say thank god for Internet.
Quite a lot of folk appear to experience a similar experience sadly. Takes me back some years when a young fellow in Australia and recalling my mother's depiration at times to what i later learned was accute lonliness.
It was what took us to England.
Still today many feel the isolation and i know it can be difficult to connect,something i feel more here than other places i've lived or is it just a greater awareness of the potential of it being so with the experience of those early years?
Really do hope it improves for you and where you are now is surely needs not for the long haul?
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been not what I have expected my life be like, I'm very very lonely, my posh area is extremely boring I want to move somewhere where I might see some human beings.
Trust me I do go out to my local shopping center but how much fun do u get to sit on your own & drink coffee.
I have been looking for jobs too but I have problems with not being able to do my hours to fit with children's life which is during school hours.
Chris is never around even when he is not traveling he doesn't come home till late & when he is at home he's working on projects or making international phone calls, or working at weekends from home or being dead tried that he has no energy left in him, I tell you I leading such exciting life that is killing me slowly.

I had a life back in qld some very nice friends that I can rely on in case of emergency, I can't believe I gave it all up for this boring life in NSW.
Fancy a challenge? Take a TAFE course in aged or disability care. You will almost certainly be able to find part time work that will fit in around your kids schooling.
Tough work for generally rubbish pay but can be hugely rewarding in other ways. My wife did exactly that.
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You make it sound like you are in the middle of the desert, it is in a well populated area, there must beother human beings around.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:03 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, a couple of years holidaying in Australia would have sated my fascination with the place. The problem is once you're committed when do you pull the plug?

Last edited by Turban Explorer; May 4th 2011 at 12:06 am.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You make it sound like you are in the middle of the desert, it is in a well populated area, there must beother human beings around.
Not necessarily if it's anything like the LA suburbs.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:11 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Nope, a couple of years holidaying in Australia would have sated my fascination with the place. The problem is once you're committed when do you pull the plug?
Exactly. Had my husband caved in to my constant pining for home in my first hellish year, we would certainly have been straight on that plane to square 1. I'm actually glad he didn't because we basically had nothing left to go home to. I just wish we had researched Canada a bit more, because we did consider it, but ended up here.

I still maintain that the kids are better off here for now, finishing their school years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.