Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would this have happened in the UK?

View Poll Results: Would this happen in the UK?
Yes it would happen.
51.85%
No it wouldn't happen
29.63%
Don't care.
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 8th 2014, 10:36 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would this have happened in the UK?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree. In general, Perth's PT system is pretty good - and affordable
It had better be or i'll be ringing you for a lift
Old Aug 8th 2014, 11:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably fair to say the poll didnt go exactly as planned
Old Aug 8th 2014, 11:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Seriously? I travel TransPerth every day to and from work and for the most part have very positive things to say.

Oh, and I agree with SOS. This would/could have happened anywhere. Like her I think that there are good people everywhere.

Dorothy! Lovely to see you posting again, are you back from your trip? How were the flights in the pointy end of the plane? I hope you had a wonderful time.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 1:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Would this have happened in the UK?

Originally Posted by renth
No. National Rail would make two feeble attempts to free him with a cheap plastic litter picker before giving up and leaving him to starve.

By way of compensation they would offer his family a Starbucks gift voucher, a halfhearted apology and some kind of lame excuse about the victim having http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_wrong_type_of_snow
They would then suspend the entire line for 6 months while they widen the platforms to prevent this from happening again. Meanwhile, Virgin Trains would be busy widening their trains for the same purpose.

Neither side would consult each other at any time during this process, so at the end of the 6 months they would discover the platforms are now so wide that they almost reach the middle of the track, while the carriages are so wide that they can't even get out of the sheds.

Labour would blame the Tories; the Tories would blame the unions; the Lib Dems would blame the House of Lords; UKIP would blame gays, Muslims, and the EU; and Shami Chakrabarti would blame white people.

An internal enquiry would confirm that while nobody was responsible, 'lessons have been learned.'

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Aug 8th 2014 at 2:32 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 1:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No. National Rail would make two feeble attempts to free him with a cheap plastic litter picker before giving up and leaving him to starve.

By way of compensation they would offer his family a Starbucks gift voucher, a halfhearted apology and some kind of lame excuse about the victim having 'the wrong type of leg.'

They would then suspend the entire line for 6 months while they widen the platforms to prevent this from happening again. Meanwhile, Virgin Trains would be busy widening their trains for the same purpose.

Neither side would consult each other at any time during this process, so at the end of the 6 months they would discover the platforms are now so wide that they almost reach the middle of the track, while the carriages are so wide that they can't even get out of the sheds.

Labour would blame the Tories; the Tories would blame the unions; the Lib Dems would blame the House of Lords; UKIP would blame gays, Muslims, and the EU; and Shami Chakrabarti would blame white people.

An internal enquiry would confirm that while nobody was responsible, 'lessons have been learned.'

Old Aug 8th 2014, 1:56 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 8th 2014, 2:46 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Would this have happened in the UK?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Seriously? I travel TransPerth every day to and from work and for the most part have very positive things to say.
I was joking, but remember that I'm a Perth boy born and bred, so I have a cultural obligation to mock my home state...

WA's public transport is the best I've experienced in Australia. Needs plenty of improvement, but after 5 years in South Australia you start to miss it.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it would have happened in the UK; providing there weren't jobsworths and EU regulators and managers around!

I'm still looking at the clip to see if there are British Expats standing watching and debating the cost of living and house prices Perth vis a vis the UK.

Good comments from the PTA spokesman (sorry spokesperson):

Mr Hynes said it was a “nice change” to be dealing with an incident with such a positive outcome.

“The problem with public transport is it gets a bad wrap and unfairly, I think," he said.

“Public transport is a microcosm of what happens in society, when something bad happens on a train it is not because public transport is nasty or bad, it is the people involved.”

Read more: Perth train rescue takes off like a bullet train in world's media
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

And then you get this clip now taken down:

$15,000 reward offered for 'sadistic' Grand Canyon squirrel kicker
Old Aug 8th 2014, 9:44 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

He was lucky he didn't slip on a Sydney train - his entire body would have fallen down the gap
Old Aug 9th 2014, 10:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I think it might have happened in Liverpool or Manchester but in London? not so much.

Having said that I do think it was a dangerous thing to do and someone should have held a bit of wood or something in the gap so if the train rocked back it wouldn't have squashed his leg more.

But it's good to see people teaming up to help others. It reminds me of the Bushfire Service and the SES.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 11:24 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think it might have happened in Liverpool or Manchester but in London? not so much.

Having said that I do think it was a dangerous thing to do and someone should have held a bit of wood or something in the gap so if the train rocked back it wouldn't have squashed his leg more.

But it's good to see people teaming up to help others. It reminds me of the Bushfire Service and the SES.
Yes it is nice to see renth, gives you such a good feeling.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:29 am
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, the platform jobsworth would call the emergency services and shut down the train line. Causing misery for thousands of passengers.

In China they would have filmed and robbed him before the train departed cutting the victim in two.

LiveLeak.com - Passengers Rock a Train Back & Forth to Free Trapped Man
never read so much cr4p in my life!
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:32 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
It had better be or i'll be ringing you for a lift
Picturing you and Zulu commuting together to work in his paddock-basher
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Would this have happened in Australia?

Background - golfer Ian Poulter's family was travelling to watch him play in the USPGA and he had booked 6 J class tickets for his wife, children and their nanny. When they arrived at the airport the nanny's ticket was downgraded to Y due to overbooking. Poulter took to Twitter to moan about his wife not having the nanny to look after the children.

Golfer Ian Poulter complains after his nanny's British Airways seat is downgraded - Telegraph

Poulter argues that it is like ordering a steak in a restaurant and getting a tomato (he would of course in this incident only have paid for a tomato as he'd get a refund for the downgrade).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.