Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do people use Migration Agents.

Why do people use Migration Agents.

Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

fogfurn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why do people use Migration Agents.

hi off to the sun. im also in ireland. could you please tell me who your migration agent in ireland is
Old Dec 18th 2009, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the current very large influx of Chinese and Indians are using agents ?

When did using agents become a popular way of applying and what percentage of people use them ?

Has anyone got an example of a probable failed entry for migration, that an agents made a difference with ?
Old Dec 18th 2009, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

CosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really niceCosmicBertie is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I wonder if the current very large influx of Chinese and Indians are using agents ?

When did using agents become a popular way of applying and what percentage of people use them ?

Has anyone got an example of a probable failed entry for migration, that an agents made a difference with ?
I get a feeling that someone is looking for a very distinct career change?
Old Dec 18th 2009, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CosmicBertie
I get a feeling that someone is looking for a very distinct career change?
Heading in the direction of a change of vocation that for sure. Doubt it will be as an Agent though. Still it doesn't hurt to ask questions.

It's just that most long term residents would know the local job market IMO.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of them use "migration consultants". Another term for unlicensed people in their home countries who claim to be agents but really aren't. I've seen in the immi forum where they've been completely ripped off by these so-called agents or given really bad advice. There have been posters whose "agent" has recommended they lie about their qualifications, who offer to sell them IELTS results and who take the money from the applicants but never submit the application.
It's probably always been popular. When we applied we had never heard of the idea, but then I don't think we would have used one anyway. I don't mind filling in forms and our case was really quite straightforward. Hub had a skill on the MODL, he'd worked in his job for 18 years so definitely had the experience, we were married with no step-kids, no character issues and no real medical issues. I'm not sure what percentage of people use agents but it might be an interesting little factoid. I bet ABC would be able to find out.
I know a woman who sponsored her Indian fiance. Their first DIY application was denied because DIAC thought that they were not in a genuine relationship. They didn't provide the right kind of evidence to prove that they were the first time around. They used an agent the second time who put together a much more detailed application showing that they were actually a genuine couple and it was successful.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:10 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We used a migration agent. In hindsight I would not have bothered given our straight forward application. I recently made my sister in laws remaining relative visa application myself. An agent wanted 2k sterling for the same. Again her application was straight forward and just a matter of filling out forms which would have to do for the agent anyhow, albeit they would be checked by them you hope!

However, given the multitude of circumstances which people have I can certainly see that an agent is of real assistance to some and professional advice is invaluable.

I do think there are some registered agents who are just taking peoples money though. A select few have earnt themselves a reputation for effectively ripping off clients with fees up to five times that which our regular industry posters on the forum with impeccable references would charge for a far superior service.

The moral of the story is perhaps, as in any industry, do your homework and hire a professional that you trust if you need to - or one that comes recommended.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We used Four Corners for the simple fact that i hate filling in forms and couldn't be arsed with it all.
I just sat back and relaxed
We also used Four Corners as it took all the hassle out of it for me.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

With hindsight could have done it our selves but used reputable agent for less than £1k and don't regret it. Good for peace of mind and knowing (hopefully) that everything is submitted correctly. There were a couple of issues where the agents knowledge probably saved some time in the whole process.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Oliveoil is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Ian Harrup as they were rec to us, great service. Some of the forms we could have filled in ourselves but it was great to get them and just have to sign in the box - especially as you have 239887 other things to do when you emigrate.

Also, they really helped with the TRA - the one we did initially needed more detail, they sent it back to us with suggestions as to how it should read and we redid it.

Cost us about £2K I think or thereabouts (over 18 months or so)
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:31 am
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We didn't discuss Tax or medicare. Just did the point scoring , did a giant Trades recognition skill CV sort of thing, then they did the rest. Took 18 months all in all as we were abit lazy in signing paperwork and i was having second thoughts so dragged the whole thing out.
Glad we used them though, even though they went bust! I am sure they are up and running again

We used an agent too and like you, were so glad we did. There was so much we wouldn't have known without their help. They were fantastic. Took us about 14 months from start to finish.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We used an agent in the UK although the guy is an Aussie and had worked at immigration and had a wealth of knowledge about the system.

I have to say the company we used were brilliant and I don't think we would have got the visa without their help. We had a free consultation and he said he wouldn't take us on if he didn't think he could get us the visa. It cost us GBP1k and it was worth every penny.

OH was 44 when we finally found this chap and initially we could go for a full independent visa. It meant doing the bond thing and also OH's computer programming skills were on the MODL list so that gave us the extra 10 points we needed but OH had to do some exams to back up his skills. Whilst he was locked away in a cupboard studying months on end the ******** at the immigration dept had a major shake up in the points and the MODL list and the result was we didn't have enough points.

Now, if that had just been us applying we probably would have given up but once OH had got his certificates (BTW I didn't tell him about the points change as he was working so hard I just couldn't tell him!) we went back to the agent and he said ah don't worry you can do an STNI which we would never had thought off. So with his help and guidance we did that and of course he checked all our forms at every stage so as to not waste time and to get it right and finally we got the application to Adelaide 2 days before OH's 45th birthday!

I think if you have a straight forward application it's not worth it but if you need some help or have an unusual situation then it's worth it....after all in the great scheme of things what's a 1000 quid if it gets you that golden visa!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi

We used an agent in the UK although the guy is an Aussie and had worked at immigration and had a wealth of knowledge about the system.

I have to say the company we used were brilliant and I don't think we would have got the visa without their help. We had a free consultation and he said he wouldn't take us on if he didn't think he could get us the visa. It cost us GBP1k and it was worth every penny.

OH was 44 when we finally found this chap and initially we could go for a full independent visa. It meant doing the bond thing and also OH's computer programming skills were on the MODL list so that gave us the extra 10 points we needed but OH had to do some exams to back up his skills. Whilst he was locked away in a cupboard studying months on end the ******** at the immigration dept had a major shake up in the points and the MODL list and the result was we didn't have enough points.

Now, if that had just been us applying we probably would have given up but once OH had got his certificates (BTW I didn't tell him about the points change as he was working so hard I just couldn't tell him!) we went back to the agent and he said ah don't worry you can do an STNI which we would never had thought off. So with his help and guidance we did that and of course he checked all our forms at every stage so as to not waste time and to get it right and finally we got the application to Adelaide 2 days before OH's 45th birthday!

I think if you have a straight forward application it's not worth it but if you need some help or have an unusual situation then it's worth it....after all in the great scheme of things what's a 1000 quid if it gets you that golden visa!
Yours is a really good example of what they should be capable off. Especially the part where they said they wouldnt take you on unless they thought they could get you one.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Our agent has 100% ACS success rate and 99.99% visa success rate (so they say). That's why we used them. We can only fail on medicals now. Everything else has been successful.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:36 am
Bite me, I like it...

Off to the Sun will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fogfurn
hi off to the sun. im also in ireland. could you please tell me who your migration agent in ireland is
Hi Fogfurn, her name is Liz O'Hagan and she's based in Clane in Kildare, her number is 045 868322, she'll give you a consultation over the phone and work out if you are eligible, if you are not she won't take you on which is fair enough. You can check her details on the MARA website.

PS: There are is a crowd based in Kilkenny who ask for money upfront for a "pack" but you can get all the same info you need from a couple of internet forums - including this good one!!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Our agent has 100% ACS success rate and 99.99% visa success rate (so they say). That's why we used them. We can only fail on medicals now. Everything else has been successful.
If you are using who I think you're using I can tell you with 100% certainty that whoever told you that is so full of shit their eyes are brown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.