Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who's going to win The Ashes?

View Poll Results: Who's gonna win The Ashes?
Australia
36.62%
England
52.11%
Draw (Australia retain - not win)
11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:24 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

Originally Posted by Steve G
Can I have my vote back please?

England were pants!!!!!
Dunno. No damage done and there's no question that Australia will be unhappier with the series still being level than England are.

Remember that England were hammered in the first test in 2005 too. Does this forum go back to 2005? You'll probably find that England fans were even more depressed after the first test then.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:27 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Dunno. No damage done and there's no question that Australia will be unhappier with the series still being level than England are.

Remember that England were hammered in the first test in 2005 too. Does this forum go back to 2005? You'll probably find that England fans were even more depressed after the first test then.
yeah, but at least we showed some fight and spirit in that game. We had enough chances in that Lord's game to suggest we were in with a chance. Sure Colly's knock showed that, but no one else in the team did their job. At the moment I am left wondering how we are going to take 20 wickets for the remaining 4 tests
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:08 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Australia to retain the Ashes after a 0-0 series stalemate.
Neither team will sucesfully take 20 wickets in any match..

Big call perhaps - but I'll put it out there.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:10 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Australia to retain the Ashes after a 0-0 series stalemate.
Neither team will sucesfully take 20 wickets in any match..

Big call perhaps - but I'll put it out there.
quite possible considering how far down each team can bat these days. In fact I'd almost go as far to say that each team's bowlers are better batsmen than they are actually bowlers. With the exception of Monty, who is just sh!t at both forms
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:20 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
quite possible considering how far down each team can bat these days. In fact I'd almost go as far to say that each team's bowlers are better batsmen than they are actually bowlers. With the exception of Monty, who is just sh!t at both forms
Harsh.

I don't think Australia would have got so many wickets if it hadn't been for brainless batting from England. Hopefully a few of his teammates were watching Collingwood. I bagged him because I don't think he is a test class batsman, but really I was talking about his range of abilities. The great thing about Collingwood is that he knows his abilities and plays within them.

Cardiff was always going to be an odd match. Neither team knew what to expect and frankly the only wickets which were taken when the ball was older than 25 overs were gifted.

Should provide a reality check for the English if nothing else, and touring sides get easier to beat the longer they're on tour, and the Aussie have been on tour for a while now. Two weeks in Liecester must have had some effect, we just haven't seen it yet.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:38 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Harsh.

I don't think Australia would have got so many wickets if it hadn't been for brainless batting from England. Hopefully a few of his teammates were watching Collingwood. I bagged him because I don't think he is a test class batsman, but really I was talking about his range of abilities. The great thing about Collingwood is that he knows his abilities and plays within them.

Cardiff was always going to be an odd match. Neither team knew what to expect and frankly the only wickets which were taken when the ball was older than 25 overs were gifted.

Should provide a reality check for the English if nothing else, and touring sides get easier to beat the longer they're on tour, and the Aussie have been on tour for a while now. Two weeks in Liecester must have had some effect, we just haven't seen it yet.
I've always thought that Collingwood is our best test batsman, in that he is probably our most dependable batsman.

Although there was a fair bit of "brainless" batting from England the Aussie bowlers on the whole bowled a lot better than ours did. The Aussies, after all have not been reknowned for swinging the ball, yet they swung it much more than our bowlers were able to. The longer this series goes on the more likely Flintoff is to get injured and he is about the only dependable bowler we have at the moment. Anderson is just not dependable, one match he is amazing, the next he is crap.
The thing that worries me now is that I reckon England will look towards Harmy, that is a great concern for me!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:52 am
Demi-God

I've always thought that Collingwood is our best test batsman, in that he is probably our most dependable batsman.

Although there was a fair bit of "brainless" batting from England the Aussie bowlers on the whole bowled a lot better than ours did. The Aussies, after all have not been reknowned for swinging the ball, yet they swung it much more than our bowlers were able to. The longer this series goes on the more likely Flintoff is to get injured and he is about the only dependable bowler we have at the moment. Anderson is just not dependable, one match he is amazing, the next he is crap.
The thing that worries me now is that I reckon England will look towards Harmy, that is a great concern for me!
Should be interesting to see what happens at Lords. Australia haven't lost at Lords for about 2 million years.

And in that match Hedley Verity took 15 wickets. Slow left arm orthodox anyone?

Last edited by Burbage; Jul 13th 2009 at 5:00 am.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:56 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Great response from DC on Pricky Ponting
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...t-test-tactics
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Great response from DC on Pricky Ponting
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...t-test-tactics
Merv Hughes was on the radio this morning agreeing with what England did to waste time - it works both ways.
Ponting is on the edge - he definitely has issues. I think England should target him with some really choice sledging - see if they can push him over the edge. It would be fun to watch!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:49 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Merv Hughes was on the radio this morning agreeing with what England did to waste time - it works both ways.
Ponting is on the edge - he definitely has issues. I think England should target him with some really choice sledging - see if they can push him over the edge. It would be fun to watch!
I reckon KP and Prior could make a right mental mess of him
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:55 pm
Demi-God

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They need to dig out Gary Pratt again for Lords and bring him on as sub the second Ponting arrives at the wicket.

Injury to Flintoff might be a good thing, since regardless of his talents, England perform better without him than with him. Is Sidebottom fit? He's the man for Lords, swing and movement off the slope should be unplayable if he gets his radar right.

Dunno about dropping Panesar, you could say it weakens the batting if GBH comes in for Freddie, but I'm a firm believer in the batsmen getting runs. I think they'd concentrate a lot harder if they knew that there were five Panesars coming at the end of the order.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:04 am
I'm Old Gregg!

They need to dig out Gary Pratt again for Lords and bring him on as sub the second Ponting arrives at the wicket.

Injury to Flintoff might be a good thing, since regardless of his talents, England perform better without him than with him. Is Sidebottom fit? He's the man for Lords, swing and movement off the slope should be unplayable if he gets his radar right.

Dunno about dropping Panesar, you could say it weakens the batting if GBH comes in for Freddie, but I'm a firm believer in the batsmen getting runs. I think they'd concentrate a lot harder if they knew that there were five Panesars coming at the end of the order.
Frank Sidebottom is fit, however he's still trying to find form from his injury. I too would have liked to have seen him in this Ashes series but I can't see him playing at Lord's as he isn't even in the 14 man squad.

The whole Gary Pratt thing was a tyical Ponting hypocracy moment. He bitched and moaned (and swore even) at Fletcher and the England team for using him, yet in 06 at the Gabba they did exactly the same thing and dismissed Strauss using a substitute fielder!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:06 am
Demi-God

Frank Sidebottom is fit, however he's still trying to find form from his injury. I too would have liked to have seen him in this Ashes series but I can't see him playing at Lord's as he isn't even in the 14 man squad.

The whole Gary Pratt thing was a tyical Ponting hypocracy moment. He bitched and moaned (and swore even) at Fletcher and the England team for using him, yet in 06 at the Gabba they did exactly the same thing and dismissed Strauss using a substitute fielder!
Don't think Frank's been fit for a while, but Ryan hopefully will return to the side at some stage.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:32 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Don't think Frank's been fit for a while, but Ryan hopefully will return to the side at some stage.
that's his nickname, because of his big head
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:33 am
Demi-God

that's his nickname, because of his big head
It's also the name of an old friend of mine, old being the operative term, he's about ninety.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.