Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who has done what, in your family?

Who has done what, in your family?

Old Jul 14th 2011, 9:15 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who has done what, in your family?

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I didn't know you were Greek, Dreamy.

::flicks vs::

As he's worked his way through the Greek female population over the last 7 years, I've added each girlfriend to my FB friends list (they're all lovely girls).. just a shame I can't read any of their chuffing updates, lol.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

My grandmother was banned from every 'pound shop' in Sunderland town centre and consequently became the first pensioner in the UK to recieve an ASBO.

She was occassionally on the tele.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:35 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
My grandmother was banned from every 'pound shop' in Sunderland town centre and consequently became the first pensioner in the UK to recieve an ASBO.

She was occassionally on the tele.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Ok, my dad was in The Argyll's and was handpicked by 'Mad Mitch' in 1967 to 'join a force' to enter the Crater at Aden. He was 17, the youngest.

He has never spoke about it to me or any family members, but has mentioned some bits to my hubby, it is only now, 4 years after my dad's death that I have started asking questions.
Did you get the ANSWERS though? Or did you get mixed up with "The Wild Geese"...

We're a weird bunch. My mother seems to know everyone it sees, remotely famous - some more so, some less so... remotely famous than others - or well known in their circles...so whether it's Sir John Hunt's (careful how you spell it) daughters, or the women who sailed around/walked around the world...

My brother in law is a well known actor and we often see him on the box. He and his brother were also Olympians.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Did you get the ANSWERS though? Or did you get mixed up with "The Wild Geese"...

We're a weird bunch. My mother seems to know everyone it sees, remotely famous - some more so, some less so... remotely famous than others - or well known in their circles...so whether it's Sir John Hunt's (careful how you spell it) daughters, or the women who sailed around/walked around the world...

My brother in law is a well known actor and we often see him on the box. He and his brother were also Olympians.
Whose that then?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Our only claim to fame is that my Dad's cousin was in The Searchers.

Adam Ant offered my mum a joint at a house party and she got chatted up by Omar Sharif when she was a chamber maid at The Carlton in London.

That's it. No famous people in our family!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 2:33 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Our only claim to fame is that my Dad's cousin was in The Searchers.

Adam Ant offered my mum a joint at a house party and she got chatted up by Omar Sharif when she was a chamber maid at The Carlton in London.

That's it. No famous people in our family!
do you have a big gap between your top front teeth by any chance?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
do you have a big gap between your top front teeth by any chance?
She was only 17 at the time, a long way off having me!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 2:49 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad had his gold boxing belt confiscated by Sir Harold MacMichael the High Commissioner of Palestine for failing to stand to attention for King Farouk at the presentation after the fight in 1943.
It's probably gathering dust in their family mansion.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:50 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Apparently my great (could be great great) uncle is one of the founders of Johnson Brothers China. My mom used to say talk about knowing them when she was a child.

Have a friend here that was called a wanker by Prince Charles...

Not nearly as lofty as other feats but I scored a goal last nigh at futsal... I'm the keeper and twice as old as all the other players.

Last edited by furbacchione; Jul 19th 2011 at 4:04 am.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:10 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I mentioned it a while back but its worth mentioning again here... my mother helped make the spacesuits used in the film 2001 A Space Odyssey and those used by the astronauts on Apollo 11
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:26 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

My father designed/produced the first all transitorised short wave radio. (i.e. no valves). The transistors were germanium - not to be confused with geranium.

This was mainly sold to the military.

Late 1950 to early 1960. You'll see how small and easy it was to carry in the picture!

It was the named the PR155 and produced by Plessey Radio.
Attached Thumbnails Who has done what, in your family?-pr155.jpg  
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I mentioned it a while back but its worth mentioning again here... my mother helped make the spacesuits used in the film 2001 A Space Odyssey and those used by the astronauts on Apollo 11
Nice.... If my mother had had anything to do with it they would have all been one size too large...

Your mother obviously got good at it - going from 'make believe' to the real gear....

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 19th 2011 at 7:05 am.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
wow, does that mean that either Stanley Kubrick used some top of the range bona fide working spacesuits, or the Apollo 11 astronauts got a really bum deal?

I would have thought film costume design and functioning spacesuit design were fairly non transferable skills, other than the cosmetic look?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
wow, does that mean that either Stanley Kubrick used some top of the range bona fide working spacesuits, or the Apollo 11 astronauts got a really bum deal?

I would have thought film costume design and functioning spacesuit design were fairly non transferable skills, other than the cosmetic look?

You don't really believe people go into space do you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.