Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who has done what, in your family?

Who has done what, in your family?

Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:07 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who has done what, in your family?

Originally Posted by rasen78
My grandad was in the RN in WWI and RAF(or RAAFC, what ever it was then) in WWII. I think he flew mosquitos? His final rank was Wing Commander

My mums' cousin was the conductor of the BBC Choral Master

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Woodgate

His son is apparently Woody Woodgate of Madness fame - however, take that with a pinch of salt - my mother has been known to elaborate greatly on certain 'facts' about the family

My brother had a short stint as a Director of the Beeb last year.

I once had an article printed in the Grimsby Telegraph. I am also a medical marvel, having been born 2 years after me ol' ma was sterilised.
I used to read the Grimsby Telegraph, wow, your my hero now Rasen
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:08 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I used to read the Grimsby Telegraph, wow, your my hero now Rasen
You really need to set your sights higher Cresta
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My sister is a sci-fi author, about to have her second book published.
Many of my mother's family were musicians in various professional orchestras, and my great great grandfather was a respected Unitarian who wrote pamphlets about the conditions of the poor in the Potteries. On my dad's side, his maternal grandparents were cook and butler to Sir Charles Boxhall of Maidenhead (sort of like Downton Abbey in miniature) and his grandad later became the caretaker of the Christian Scientist Church in Sloane Sq. after serving in the King's rifles in WW1. My paternal grandfather was orphaned as the wife had died in 1917 and the husband in the last months of WW1 in Belgium.

My brother is a self-made millionaire, who lives with Italian Royalty.

I've been on stage in a musical with Carey Mulligan (BAFTA award winning actress and Oscar nominee), though it was just before she got the part in Pride and Prejudice, and was an amateur production.

But we are just ordinary people.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
My mum and dad are really good people who have lived a very decent and productive life so far. Even given their normalness they're the most impressive people I know...better than my more famous relative Ned Kelly
Hey my GG Grandfather may have treated your relly Ned. It's reported that he treated the Kelly gang after a shoot out. But he was an old BS artist (one of his sons was a NSW Politician who wrote a book about his dad's exploits but doesn't name the bushrangers in the book). This old doctor had at least three wives, was jailed for bigamy and malpractice and was a bit of a character all round. On the wiki page for the politician son, it says his father died when he was a child, in fact the father was actually just living with another family and died many, many years later in an asylum.

My G Uncle (grandson of the doctor) was the inspiration for the character Jo Harman in Neville Shute's "A Town Like Alice".

Being of old Australian stock like fish, I have loads of relatives with some type of claim to fame.

My husband is related to Ernest Thesiger who played Dr Pretorius alongside Boris Karlov in The Bride of Frankenstein. My daughter is really impressed with this one because she wants to be an actress, loves horror movies and they share a birthday. My husband is also kinda related to Lord Bath - they descend from the same line, but it seems old Bath may be the result of an extra marital affair his mother had.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

my mum used to date Paul McCartney's brother and she still has some of his 7"

....singles.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:30 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
my mum used to date Paul McCartney's brother and she still has some of his 7"

....singles.
Aren't you notorious for being exiled to the land of convicts?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:19 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My Grandfather was a wireless operator in WW2 in Malaysia. He always said he tried to send messages to warn the Americans that the Japs were going to invade Pearl Harbour but nobody believed him.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My Grandfather was a wireless operator in WW2 in Malaysia. He always said he tried to send messages to warn the Americans that the Japs were going to invade Pearl Harbour but nobody believed him.
That must've been sad for your grandad, having his own family question his war-time exploits.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
That must've been sad for your grandad, having his own family question his war-time exploits.
He was always frustrated by it for sure.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

He was always frustrated by it for sure.
Why didn't you all believe him?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

I didn't say I didn't believe him. I was a child at the time with no knowledge of what happened in the war. I still don't know enough about the war in Malaysia and the far east to either believe or doubt his account.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't say I didn't believe him. I was a child at the time with no knowledge of what happened in the war. I still don't know enough about the war in Malaysia and the far east to either believe or doubt his account.
Perhaps it's all for the best. If your grandad had been believed we might all be speaking German now.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

i read it as no one at the time believed him (i.e. whoever he had to report to), not the family.

correct?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i read it as no one at the time believed him (i.e. whoever he had to report to), not the family.

correct?
No, that is incorrect.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

correct?
That's correct. Saying that some of his family members thought maybe he was exaggerating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.