Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House seller (The Continuation)

Whinging Pom House seller (The Continuation)

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller (The Continuation)

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Had a couple who came for a 2nd viewing last night
1st thing the hubby said to me was "The housing market is getting worse you know? If you don't sell now your house will be worth 30% less this time next year!" As if I don't know that
Not sure if he was just saying that to see my reaction but I just replied saying "well if it doesn't sell we'll just take it off the market & wait it out!"

They do seem really interested but with him saying that I think if they do put an offer in its gonna be a stupid one
I don't wanna give my house away, we've already dropped it by 25K, 5K of that was the day they 1st viewed! I just wanna get to Oz & get on with my life now :curse:
They are trying to freak you out hun. Just wait and see what their offer is.......

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Think he was looking for a reaction.
Good luck & hope you get an offer

We have another viewing tomorrow afternoon. The people who came back on Monday will give us a decision by the end of the week.....I'm not sure that sounds very hopeful
Good luck SC - that sounds really promising. Just keep plugging away - having viewings is a good sign.

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Thats a good sign fingers crossed x

What are you doing out of the Arcade???? Get back
PMSL.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:11 pm
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Thats a good sign fingers crossed x

What are you doing out of the Arcade???? Get back

Bloody nutter you
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

ellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Whinging Pom House seller (The Continuation)

Just thought I'd hijack this thread! We put our house up for sale today! We are in the very early stages of applying for a visa, ie. OH is just putting together his references to go through the ACS for a PR visa, but with the way the housing market is going we thought we'd go for it now, not sure if it's the right thing but i suppose you never do. Crystal ball please?!! Not sure in what order others are doing things?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Whinging Pom House seller (The Continuation)

Originally Posted by ellejayh
Just thought I'd hijack this thread! We put our house up for sale today! We are in the very early stages of applying for a visa, ie. OH is just putting together his references to go through the ACS for a PR visa, but with the way the housing market is going we thought we'd go for it now, not sure if it's the right thing but i suppose you never do. Crystal ball please?!! Not sure in what order others are doing things?

Hi ellejayh
I too am putting my house on the market this week, its all a bit daunting knowing where to start the price at and what agent to go with. Trying to be realistic as don't want to wait for ages to sell, esp after reading peoples experiences.
ooo ahhh for a crystal ball although they reckon prices will drop more before they get better. The market may take a while to recover, unless something dramatic happens....
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickywes
There is nothing much selling around here at all so we are putting ours up for rent and will wait for the market to change a bit no matter how long it takes I suppose We have already dropped 120k and won't go any lower. Frustrating isn't it :curse:
Expect to wait a long long time for the market to turn around, imo. We've just had the most unprecedented run up in prices _ever_ and houses are completely out of whack with historic norms versus incomes. Because of land constraints, I doubt things will get as bad as some areas over here in the US, but even so I can well see this mess taking years to play out. Can't say I envy anyone trying to sell at the moment in the UK, especially with its ridiculous system of buying/selling that essentially allows buyers in a strong down market and sellers in a strong up market to blackmail the other party all the way to exchange of contracts.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by somme
On a related note, what I have found interesting is the different approach of people selling their houses on this thread and on the US and Canada forums. On the latter two there seems to be a much greater emphasis placed on the rational analysis of the market, and a general reluctance to simply stick their fingers in their ears and shout LA LA LA at a high volume. My feeling at this time is that they will sell their houses faster because they are willing to adapt to the market conditions.
Yes, in general I think that's true. "Comps", i.e. comparative sales in the last few months, are pretty much standard in setting a sales price, although of course a seller can put the house up for sale for any price they choose. I suspect a bigger difference is that the system of buying/selling is so different in that you make an offer subject to contingencies (financing, inspections etc) and those contingencies will usually have a set time specified in the offer to be removed. Additionally, people seem more willing to more into temporary rentals. So chains are pretty rare, gazumping impossible once contingencies have been removed etc. All in all the process lends itself to a more efficient market, imo, which is really invaluable at times like the present.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 3rd 2008 at 2:29 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:47 am
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ellejayh
Lets hope you get some buyers interested pretty soon

Originally Posted by sunflower7
Hi ellejayh
I too am putting my house on the market this week, its all a bit daunting knowing where to start the price at and what agent to go with. Trying to be realistic as don't want to wait for ages to sell, esp after reading peoples experiences.
ooo ahhh for a crystal ball although they reckon prices will drop more before they get better. The market may take a while to recover, unless something dramatic happens....
Hi there - It is tough being a seller at the moment but the one big thing that I would suggest is don't go in too high right from the beginning. We have now dropped 120k and wish we had priced it lower at first, may have sold by now. Who knows what is best though

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yes, in general I think that's true. "Comps", i.e. comparative sales in the last few months, are pretty much standard in setting a sales price, although of course a seller can put the house up for sale for any price they choose. I suspect a bigger difference is that the system of buying/selling is so different in that you make an offer subject to contingencies (financing, inspections etc) and those contingencies will usually have a set time specified in the offer to be removed. Additionally, people seem more willing to more into temporary rentals. So chains are pretty rare, gazumping impossible once contingencies have been removed etc. All in all the process lends itself to a more efficient market, imo, which is really invaluable at times like the present.
The UK needs more guidelines with house selling and buying. It is too easy to string people along until exchange and then just pull out, there have to be some safeguards.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickywes
Thank you, I hope it is over soon too. I thought the visa process was bad but nothing until house selling. Are you enjoying yourself?
hi - yes we are all very happy that we made the right decision and Australia is now our home. I am currently experiencing the ups and downs of buying a house now, there has been a big cock up somewhere along hte line and is now a chance i could be sued for breach of contract all cos SOMEONE (they all blaming each other) filed the papers wrong!! :curse: Am just keeping my fingers crossed now that they sort it out sooner rather than later - combined with a bout of flu for the first time in my life and i am feeling pretty stressed right now

Originally Posted by mOZzy
'welcome back'
so how are things with you?
do tell!! we all want to hear the details ....
Geeeeeeeeee I wouldnt know where to start - so much has been happening BUT we are happy. My blog address is at teh bottom of my signature, emil me and i will send you the password

Originally Posted by Fly Away
MANDY!!! Long time no see hun. I've been reading your blog. So pleased everything is going well for you - apart from this latest hicup with the house buying... selling or buying it's never good is it???

I'm still here as are Dinky and Suart and poor old Eddie who started it all. However, I have accepted an offer on my house - so hopefully won't be whinging for oo much longer. Although I will keep you other WPHS company for as long as you need it.
Hi honey - Glad to see things are moving at long last with your house. You must be wondering if it is all a dream i am sure. Will keep everything crossed for a quick stress free completion
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

ellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant futureellejayh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sunflower7
Hi ellejayh
Hi Sunflower7,
Yes I totally agree that prices look like they're dropping before they will get any better, we really invested in this property too to get some money to take to Oz with us, so I think realistically even if for some horrible reason we don't get a visa, we would still be ok to take a step off the property ladder for the time being.
I also agree with Nickywes about not going in too high, there are so few buyers out there that you really need to go in with a competitive price in order to grab their attention,which is a shame thinking about how much we could have got last year, I suppose we just need to hope we can eventually bag a bargain on the other side of the world
How far along in the visa process are you? Whereabouts are you thinking of going?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the good luck wishes folks!
Todays viewers are coming back again this evening
I'm staying at work & letting OH get on with it. Not sure what he is bribing the kids with though
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:13 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm staying at work & letting OH get on with it. Not sure what he is bribing the kids with though
Be very afraid - the kids end up hyper after the OH has bribed my kids.

Good luck hun xx
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleopatra
Be very afraid - the kids end up hyper after the OH has bribed my kids.

Good luck hun xx
Mine are hyper to start with
Thanks hon!
How are you today? Feeling better?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:12 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Well? WELL???
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Well? WELL???
Yes - WELL???
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Well? WELL???
Apparently they are very interested & will be contacting the EA first thing!
We'll see

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.