Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

When will Japs stop killing our whales?

Wikiposts

When will Japs stop killing our whales?

Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:34 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When will Japs stop killing our whales?

Originally Posted by Kim67
There used to be a whaling station in Albany, WA - I went there as a small child with my grandfather when we'd visit him on holidays. My mum would sit in the car and cry - it was disgusting and I can still smell it. Having family with stations and farms, I've also seen cattle and poultry slaughtered, the memories aren't nearly as awful.

Everyone should go whale watching - I've been a couple of times with my husband and kids, the experience for me was spiritual. My kids quite often put on home video and the whale watching ones still give me goosebumps and bring tears to my eyes watching them.
Originally Posted by welshviking
We went whale watching.......we wish we'd had a harpoon with us....

Yer a terrible woman, so yer are!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:04 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

There used to be a whaling station in Albany, WA - I went there as a small child with my grandfather when we'd visit him on holidays. My mum would sit in the car and cry - it was disgusting and I can still smell it. Having family with stations and farms, I've also seen cattle and poultry slaughtered, the memories aren't nearly as awful.
What a horrible memory.

I've been whale watching. Saw a humpback with its baby. It was lovely though wouldn't have called it spiritual. They're certainly beautiful animals and I don't like them being killed. I think it's because they're so intelligent that makes us more compassionate... but then other creatures, such as pigs have equal intelligence and we don't cry over them and the appalling conditions they're kept in.... though thank goodness that is changing and continues to...

I do know that cows sense the panic amongst other cattle when the slaughter happens... in large abattoirs that's nearly impossible to avoid and the meat industry doesn't really care I don't think.
I try to get meat which has at least been humanely slaughtered... I think it's important.
But whales.. yeah. It sucks and I support the Sea Shepherd activity. It's important to monitor any illegal activity.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:14 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

But they don't just monitor. Sea Shepherd has been known to ram ships and put people at risk. I can't see how that's ok, even if they are trying to save whales.

I'm all in favour of NVDA (Non-Violent Direct Action) but that's not what they do. They are however masters of PR.

Kim - the Albany whaling station closed down around 1978. It's now a whale watching site.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:41 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
But they don't just monitor. Sea Shepherd has been known to ram ships and put people at risk. I can't see how that's ok, even if they are trying to save whales.

I'm all in favour of NVDA (Non-Violent Direct Action) but that's not what they do. They are however masters of PR.

Kim - the Albany whaling station closed down around 1978. It's now a whale watching site.
Dito. They act like children, from what I've watched on their program. It totally put me off them or any other part of greenpeace.....even if I didn't enjoy eating whale, I'd still say they're a bunch of dickheads.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Dito. They act like children, from what I've watched on their program. It totally put me off them or any other part of greenpeace.....even if I didn't enjoy eating whale, I'd still say they're a bunch of dickheads.
They do themselves no favours. People latching onto a cause without any deep belief in it...... It does no one any good.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:50 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The Sea Shepherds are nothing to do with Greenpeace. Paul Watson was part of early Greenpeace but was booted out many years ago (although the story differs depending on which website you read ).
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:51 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

The Sea Shepherds are nothing to do with Greenpeace. Paul Watson was part of early Greenpeace but was booted out many years ago (although the story differs depending on which website you read ).
That's how they made it sound on teh program.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:01 pm
Auntie Fa

That's how they made it sound on teh program.
Yes, that's a problem. People think, whales, those blokes off the telly - Sea Shepherds - oh yeah and those other eco-terrorists, Greenpeace.

In truth their methods are very different. Some people like SS's methods, high profile nature, and think GP are too namby-pamby. Some people think the opposite.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:03 pm
live free or die

Yes, that's a problem. People think, whales, those blokes off the telly - Sea Shepherds - oh yeah and those other eco-terrorists, Greenpeace.

In truth their methods are very different. Some people like SS's methods, high profile nature, and think GP are too namby-pamby. Some people think the opposite.
Well, I'd say neither, look what's happened, now, bloody prawn shortage for xmas!!!

If my fish van man doesn't have a few kilos for me there'll be hell to pay!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Prawns - even farmed prawns - are not an eco-friendly seafood.

Must admit I enjoyed my prawn dim sum for lunch though
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:22 pm
live free or die

Prawns - even farmed prawns - are not an eco-friendly seafood.

Must admit I enjoyed my prawn dim sum for lunch though
When did I/we say we cared if it was eco-friendly? I want to pig out. With my oysters, bugs, crab and calamari.......shame no whale steaks....hoping the MIL can find us some tinned whale to send over.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:24 pm
Auntie Fa

Oh I have no illusions that you are seriously interested in this thread.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:56 pm
live free or die

Oh I have no illusions that you are seriously interested in this thread.
I am, just in the oppososite way.....
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know, my grandfather ended up moving back to Albany from Denmark about 20 years ago and ended up buying a house right on Frenchman Bay, not too far from the old whaling station. I went down there last January for a family reunion, the place has changed a lot.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:01 am
Auntie Fa

Yeah I know, my grandfather ended up moving back to Albany from Denmark about 20 years ago and ended up buying a house right on Frenchman Bay, not too far from the old whaling station. I went down there last January for a family reunion, the place has changed a lot.
I'm told that Albany is one of the reasons Aussies are very protective of whales, and get behind any campaigns to stop whaling.

This is said to be an excellent read http://www.fremantlepress.com.au/books/1058 although I haven't yet managed to pick up a copy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.