Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whats the most overrated place in Australia

Whats the most overrated place in Australia

Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the most overrated place in Australia

Ps...I thought the rabbit proof fence was a bit of a joke as it looked like the bunnies could get though or just nip around it when it ended for the road!
Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Monkey Mia ... waiting for the dolphins to come in. .
Hmm, this goes against all my understanding of the typical australian naming conventions: call it exactly what it is.

Were there monkeys there or should it be called dolphin mia?
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Bondi was just horrid- like a run down 50's seaside town with a competition between the bluebottles and the shops as to who could sting the most. The only time I have liked the area was on a wild windswept day when I went to see the Sculptures by the Sea- but that didn't really include the beach. Manly is far nicer if you want a developed area.

I liked the Pinnacles, but I agree about Uluru- it didn't change colour much for me either. I did wear a fly net and sit in the pool as it was the only way to stop the little b*****s from eating me alive. The "sounds of silence" dinner was amazing though.

Totally agree about Manly.... twas a treat after Bondi.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Have you got a 'Love it or Leave!' sticker on the back of your tractor?
No but I'd buy one if I saw it!

As you may guess I'm a bit of a "quit complaining and change something" type person! Or "if you don't like it, do something else" and similar annoying thoughts
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 12:50 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
No but I'd buy one if I saw it!

As you may guess I'm a bit of a "quit complaining and change something" type person! Or "if you don't like it, do something else" and similar annoying thoughts
Why on earth would you want to be like that when you can make a forum career out of the glass always being half empty & "Oh woe is me, I'm so unhappy here" threads?
Surely your not suggesting actually doing something about it?

I love it here, sure there's stuff to piss you off, I also loved the U.K ditto the annoying stuff. However if I spent most my time bemoaning the place through the bottom of a glass I'd have left a long time ago.

Your just far to sensible
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Why on earth would you want to be like that when you can make a forum career out of the glass always being half empty & "Oh woe is me, I'm so unhappy here" threads?
Surely your not suggesting actually doing something about it?

I love it here, sure there's stuff to piss you off, I also loved the U.K ditto the annoying stuff. However if I spent most my time bemoaning the place through the bottom of a glass I'd have left a long time ago.

Your just far to sensible
Well said
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 7:10 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spartacus
Australia . . . it's all a bit 'overrated' . . . or is it just me?

Disclaimer: I haven't been everywhere man.
Not just you mate.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Everything is sort of overrated. Bondi, St Kilda are up there.

Parts of Australia are best to live in, (but choose wisely, get it right).

Most destinations are for backpackers and campers (again choose wisely).
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi

I haven't had time to read all 5 pages but for me Monkey Mia was a HUGE let down! Having driven 5 plus hours from Geraldton with nothing in between we arrived at Denham in which no cafe stayed open past noon, there were two "supermarkets" nothing more than a corner store and every shop doubled up as something else! We got up before sunrise to go over to Monkey Mia to be greeted with about 100 bods waiting for the dolphins to come in. The rangers then spent the whole show telling people to stay away from the dolphins, I'm amazed we were even able to look at them!!! The resort is over priced but the beaches and walks are quite nice. You need a 4x4 to go anywhere as roads were too rutted for a normal car. It was either 45 degrees with no breeze or another day we were on the edge of a cyclone and you couldn't stand upright in the wind! It was a shame as a friend has a lovely pic taken 20 odd years ago stroking a dolphin but now you can't do that.

Best bit was the Shotover boat trip we did out into the marine park and got to see mummy and baby Dugons. We then moved on to Kalbarri which was far more interesting and a nicer town.

We had a good time at Uluru, I have an amazing shot taken with the sun coming up behind it.

I was at Bondi on Sunday and I have to say it was looking a lot better than last time I went.
If you want to try again with the dolphins tangalooma in Brisbane might suit you better: http://www.tangalooma.com/info/home/
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:09 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Noosa.

And the Yatala Pie Shop.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:14 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
The Queensland 'Dingo Fence' - we were like WTF?! It was a chicken wire fence ffs lol boringgggg lol
Yeh, I'd expect more from a fence too, especially the way they push it in the travel brochures.

That's all you ever see innit? Opera House, Sydney Harbour, Fence, Uluru, Fence, Surfers, Reef, Fence. Get's my goat it does.

I was considering going to see, at considerable expense, the Great Wall Of China but suspect it is just a very big wall.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Whats the most overrated place in Australia

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
For me it's Uluru.

I kept hearing how it was magical and special and is meant to change colours as the sun sets etc... I think I thought it would be something pretty special. But it was just a big rock. Don't get me wrong, it's bloody enormous as rocks go, but I didn't feel anything magical. And when up the sun set it just went from being rock colored to dark....

Maybe I was missing something, but it wasn't really all it was cracked up to be IMHO.
My thoughts exactly, although to be fair the guide on the coach did warn us that all the beautiful colours of Uluru on the postcards were doctored and that it wouldn't look like that - it didn't. I was however pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the desert in Alice Springs.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 2:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Mon Repos - the turtle nesting beach near Bundaberg QLD - load of shit!
Old Dec 24th 2011, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Whales swimming and breaching down the coast. Now that's overated, especially at Bondi
Old Dec 24th 2011, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
+1 for Noosa.

And the Yatala Pie Shop.
Did you work there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.