Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What are your favourite DVDs?

What are your favourite DVDs?

Old May 2nd 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your favourite DVDs?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have lots of favourite DVDs, ones I can watch lots of times over much to husbands amusement who watches something once and that is that.

I went on Amazon.co.uk and found someone that deals with second hand DVDs, I ordered Vicar of Dibley series 1/2, Goodnight Sweetheart first series, Peter Kay 'That Peter Kay Thing' with his earlier material and it all came to $27 including delivery to Australia.

The DVDs arrived a week later and I cant wait to watch them all, I have also marked this seller on Amazon as he has a good selection of second hand DVDs and it is so cheap to get them sent over. I have also ordered for $13 including delivery, a brand new Peter Kay 'Britains got the pop factor' DVD set of 4. I shall save up for Only fools and Horses.

As I am going through a 'missing family' stage, I find my favourite DVDs always cheer me up and I dont mind second hand ones as long as they can play OK.

My DVD player is region specific so cant play any of mine but my friend is giving me a region free DVD player which I cant wait for.

I shall have a Peter Kay night to make myself laugh. What are your favourite DVDs - the ones that cheer you up, make you laugh/cry and where do you get yours from?
Still Game is my favourite have the entire collection and watch it constantly.
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:03 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Movies:

Pulp Fiction
Fist Full of Dollars (most Eastwood)
Snatch

TV series :

Lead Balloon
Father Ted
Alan Partridge

& lots more
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Movies- Betty Blue and Last of the Mohicans as well as the first 2 Godfathers!
TV- Dexter, Battlestar Gallactica (remake),Weeds, The Sopranos. Actually, the quality of the drama coming out of the US over the last few years is astounding and totally blows away anything else, from any country. Never thought I'd say that with the crap they used to produce!
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily my favourite movies of all time but favourite DVDs when there is nothing else on and for feel good factor are:

My Fair Lady
Four Weddings
Love Actually
Sex in the City
The Castle
It's a Wonderful Life
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Keep remembering films i used to love.

The Goonies
Stand by me
The lost boys

The Sound of music

Sure i will think of some more in a minute!
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:36 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I love 'scrooged' as well
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:00 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I love 'scrooged' as well
Another of my all time fav's PP
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got a decent cabinet to store their DVD boxsets? Pride of place in the lounge room and all that?

Did you go to Hardly Normal? Ikea? Did ya knock one up like I did?

My choice - Blackadder. I'm also a bit of a sook for naff 70's stuff. I have just downloaded the 6 Million dollar Man - Series One..that will be all for the time being..

Vicar of Dibley - worst of it's type in the English-speaking world and I refuse to have it in the house. Dawn French has never once been funny. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the sort of programming that people watch days before migrating to Australia- to get a bigger house - and then spend the next few years pining for Marks and Spencer and Tesco, whilst fingering the contents of said DVD cabinet and worrying about their childrens' education...just a hunch..
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Movies- Betty Blue
Battlestar Gallactica
A man I can rely on....give me a Cylon and a naked French woman with the cutest, tiniest of paunches any day..even at the same time!
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

The Wire, all 5 seasons. Just cant get enough of it. Its fantastic!

Tracie
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=

My DVD player is region specific so cant play any of mine but my friend is giving me a region free DVD player which I cant wait for.

[/QUOTE]

If you google Unlock codes for DVD players you will get the code to unlock your DVD player and make it region free. We unlocked ours this way and I know buy DVDs from all over the world

Tracie
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Anyone got a decent cabinet to store their DVD boxsets? Pride of place in the lounge room and all that?

Did you go to Hardly Normal? Ikea? Did ya knock one up like I did?

My choice - Blackadder. I'm also a bit of a sook for naff 70's stuff. I have just downloaded the 6 Million dollar Man - Series One..that will be all for the time being..

Vicar of Dibley - worst of it's type in the English-speaking world and I refuse to have it in the house. Dawn French has never once been funny. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the sort of programming that people watch days before migrating to Australia- to get a bigger house - and then spend the next few years pining for Marks and Spencer and Tesco, whilst fingering the contents of said DVD cabinet and worrying about their childrens' education...just a hunch..
Strange that, even with a vicarage background that never would have allowed women vicars to be mentioned, I find The Vicar of Dibley soooo funny. The Parish Council remind me of far too many real English villagers, and the whole thing just hits an awful lot of spots. I don't like everything Dawn French does, but that is one role which has me in fits of laughter.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Strange that, even with a vicarage background that never would have allowed women vicars to be mentioned, I find The Vicar of Dibley soooo funny. The Parish Council remind me of far too many real English villagers, and the whole thing just hits an awful lot of spots. I don't like everything Dawn French does, but that is one role which has me in fits of laughter.
Lol Polly!.

You know, my own vicarage background has no influence on my decision ;-but now you mention it, I suppose the villagers could be accurate in some ways.. :-) For me it is more typical of the paltry insignificance I find annoying about some of my fellow countrymen - and I know all countries have an equivalent.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:00 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
We used to do that until it started to take up too much space and take to long to look through when trying to pick a movie to watch.

Now we keep all of our DVD's in those 200 CD binders. Takes up far less room than the binder and much easier to flip through from the comfort of your couch (rather than read sideways!). For the burnt DVD's my mom sends me I keep them in little Ikea storage boxes and number them as they go in. To keep track of all the DVD's they are entered into an excel spreadsheet with all the info on it. So if we need a movie that's less than 2 hours long I can sort the sheet and it'll show me only the shorter ones. I can also sort by type of movie (action, comedy, etc). There's also a column that has the disc # for the burnt ones so they can be found quickly. It's the best system (for us) and it's very easy to locate things. It's obviously not as showy but when you have about 1000 movies on the list you need something practical.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:48 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of favourite DVDs, ones I can watch lots of times over much to husbands amusement who watches something once and that is that.

I went on Amazon.co.uk and found someone that deals with second hand DVDs, I ordered Vicar of Dibley series 1/2, Goodnight Sweetheart first series, Peter Kay 'That Peter Kay Thing' with his earlier material and it all came to $27 including delivery to Australia.

The DVDs arrived a week later and I cant wait to watch them all, I have also marked this seller on Amazon as he has a good selection of second hand DVDs and it is so cheap to get them sent over. I have also ordered for $13 including delivery, a brand new Peter Kay 'Britains got the pop factor' DVD set of 4. I shall save up for Only fools and Horses.

As I am going through a 'missing family' stage, I find my favourite DVDs always cheer me up and I dont mind second hand ones as long as they can play OK.

I shall have a Peter Kay night to make myself laugh. What are your favourite DVDs - the ones that cheer you up, make you laugh/cry and where do you get yours from?
Snatch...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.