Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What would your reaction be???

View Poll Results: Would you be impressed?
Yes, thats ok with me
6.25%
No, I wouldnt be overjoyed
33.33%
When does she leave?
60.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

What would your reaction be???

Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would your reaction be???

OK..

Hyperthetically speaking....

If some one staying with you for lets say 6 Weeks.... Chipped in a couple of hundred dollars to help towards their food, transport, holiday with family and ferry fares....

Then demanded that we all go out for a family meal....

helped Rack up a bill of $400

Then sat back whilst you paid for it out of that couple of hundred and a couple of hundred of your own.....

Would you be Very impressed????

Your options

A,Yes I would be ok with that

B, No I wouldnt be overjoyed

C, When does she leave?????

Last edited by eddie007; Jan 8th 2012 at 9:15 am.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would your action be???

Sorry, RE action.... Mistyped the title... I am a LITTLE bit stressed right now
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Mind you, I have two 20 something year olds doing the same to me! Been here 10 months and haven't paid board for 4 months.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy

Mind you, I have two 20 something year olds doing the same to me! Been here 10 months and haven't paid board for 4 months.
Hmmmm.... Tough love Wendy... Like I'm being tough...

Talk about manipulation... there is NO WAY we can afford to be spending $200 bucks just after christmas right before a weeks holiday on a meal out....

Why does she think I cook at home?????

She INSISTS, she books the table at the restaurant of her choice... Then she sits back whilst we pay....
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

Talk about manipulation... there is NO WAY we can afford to be spending $200 bucks just after christmas right before a weeks holiday on a meal out....

She INSISTS, she books the table at the restaurant of her choice... Then she sits back whilst we pay....
yep, sounds familiar.

I hope you manage to be tougher than I am hun. If she gets away with it now, then she'll carry on doing it.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:31 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Is she aware of the financial situation? I know it's hard with family, but you really need be honest with her, or at the very least your fella does.

Just point out to her now that for the next x number of weeks, you can't do this that or the other (such as use the air con;-)) because you have to pay for the meal

Or 'forget' to take cards/cash with you so she has no option but to pay
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would your reaction be???

Sorry, RE action.... Mistyped the title... I am a LITTLE bit stressed right now
Fixed the title for you.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly.... I would have told MY father or Mother we couldnt afford it. in the first place. Thats a job for your ole man IMO, and a no go area for a DIL. So from your point of view in relation to this thread. I'm voting I wouldnt be overjoyed.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 8th 2012 at 9:37 am.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rasen78
Is she aware of the financial situation? I know it's hard with family, but you really need be honest with her, or at the very least your fella does.

Just point out to her now that for the next x number of weeks, you can't do this that or the other (such as use the air con;-)) because you have to pay for the meal

Or 'forget' to take cards/cash with you so she has no option but to pay
I have mentioned that I've had to work 12 nights out of 14 over christmas/new years coz we're skint....

And pointed out that I've been casual since I quit my job and dont always get all the shifts I need...

And suggested we head to the beach for fish n chips so we can save some money.... But its "no, I've booked a table now, and we'll want a drink with our meal"

Am thinking my card is goung to get declined

HE needs to do something... And quickly
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be expecting anyone to pay money (nor would i take it when offered)who stays with us but do expect guests to pick up their share of the bill when eating out and to buy some wine for home. I think this is little to expect. Not the same with my family though as they have no money and I am more than happy to provide for them
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Honestly.... I would have told MY father or Mother we couldnt afford it. in the first place, thats a job for your ole man IMO, and a no go area for a DIL. So from your point of view in relation to this thread. I'm voting I wouldnt be overjoyed.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks its a no no for a DIL to mention it... Feel like a gutless wonder right now...
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I wouldn't be expecting anyone to pay money (nor would i take it when offered)who stays with us but do expect guests to pick up their share of the bill when eating out and to buy some wine for home. I think this is little to expect. Not the same with my family though as they have no money and I am more than happy to provide for them
We've always paid for all of any meal that we've been out on when staying with relations overseas. Unless it was my Father and Mother who quite frankly are loaded and insist we dont.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed....depends who it is. If they are relatives I don't mind paying
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks its a no no for a DIL to mention it... Feel like a gutless wonder right now...
Your definitely not a Gutless wonder.... it's just not an issue for you really. I'd take a couple of days of work in protest..... Put the ole man between a rock and hardplace.

You dont handle all the finances do you ? If so then the parameter of the meal out should have been anticipated before hand and you should have told him you were not going. This is more your and your husbands issue IMO.

Damn I'm going against personal BBS rules to myself now.

Thats just my own personal way and everone is different... so its up to you.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wouldnt mind a share of the bill, however being pushed into an expensive meal out like this wrankles.... And yes it is nice to have "chipped in" however the price we appear to be paying is much higher than if it hadnt chipped in... What will be doing next? insisting we buy moet coz she chipped in a little...?

We have taken her out and about AND provided her with everything... With no expectations... Feels like what we were doing wasnt good enough...

$200 does not a millionaire make of us....

I feel sick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.