British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   What would your reaction be??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/what-would-your-reaction-744204/)

eddie007 Jan 8th 2012 9:12 am

What would your reaction be???

OK..

Hyperthetically speaking....

If some one staying with you for lets say 6 Weeks.... Chipped in a couple of hundred dollars to help towards their food, transport, holiday with family and ferry fares....

Then demanded that we all go out for a family meal....

helped Rack up a bill of $400

Then sat back whilst you paid for it out of that couple of hundred and a couple of hundred of your own.....

Would you be Very impressed????

Your options

A,Yes I would be ok with that

B, No I wouldnt be overjoyed

C, When does she leave?????

eddie007 Jan 8th 2012 9:14 am

Re: What would your action be???

Sorry, RE action.... Mistyped the title... I am a LITTLE bit stressed right now

Wendy Jan 8th 2012 9:19 am

:eek:

Mind you, I have two 20 something year olds doing the same to me! Been here 10 months and haven't paid board for 4 months. :thumbdown:

eddie007 Jan 8th 2012 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 9828137)
:eek:

Mind you, I have two 20 something year olds doing the same to me! Been here 10 months and haven't paid board for 4 months. :thumbdown:

Hmmmm.... Tough love Wendy... Like I'm being tough...:confused:

Talk about manipulation... there is NO WAY we can afford to be spending $200 bucks just after christmas right before a weeks holiday on a meal out....

Why does she think I cook at home?????

She INSISTS, she books the table at the restaurant of her choice... Then she sits back whilst we pay....

Wendy Jan 8th 2012 9:27 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9828141)

Talk about manipulation... there is NO WAY we can afford to be spending $200 bucks just after christmas right before a weeks holiday on a meal out....

She INSISTS, she books the table at the restaurant of her choice... Then she sits back whilst we pay....

yep, sounds familiar.

I hope you manage to be tougher than I am hun. If she gets away with it now, then she'll carry on doing it.

rasen78 Jan 8th 2012 9:31 am

Is she aware of the financial situation? I know it's hard with family, but you really need be honest with her, or at the very least your fella does.

Just point out to her now that for the next x number of weeks, you can't do this that or the other (such as use the air con;-)) because you have to pay for the meal

Or 'forget' to take cards/cash with you so she has no option but to pay:sneaky:

Alfresco Jan 8th 2012 9:32 am

Re: What would your reaction be???

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9828134)
Sorry, RE action.... Mistyped the title... I am a LITTLE bit stressed right now

Fixed the title for you. :)

ozzieeagle Jan 8th 2012 9:34 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9828141)

Honestly.... I would have told MY father or Mother we couldnt afford it. in the first place. Thats a job for your ole man IMO, and a no go area for a DIL. So from your point of view in relation to this thread. I'm voting I wouldnt be overjoyed.

eddie007 Jan 8th 2012 9:35 am

Originally Posted by rasen78 (Post 9828150)
Is she aware of the financial situation? I know it's hard with family, but you really need be honest with her, or at the very least your fella does.

Just point out to her now that for the next x number of weeks, you can't do this that or the other (such as use the air con;-)) because you have to pay for the meal

Or 'forget' to take cards/cash with you so she has no option but to pay:sneaky:

I have mentioned that I've had to work 12 nights out of 14 over christmas/new years coz we're skint....

And pointed out that I've been casual since I quit my job and dont always get all the shifts I need...

And suggested we head to the beach for fish n chips so we can save some money.... But its "no, I've booked a table now, and we'll want a drink with our meal"

Am thinking my card is goung to get declined:blink:

HE needs to do something... And quickly

Hebe Jan 8th 2012 9:36 am

I wouldn't be expecting anyone to pay money (nor would i take it when offered)who stays with us but do expect guests to pick up their share of the bill when eating out and to buy some wine for home. I think this is little to expect. Not the same with my family though as they have no money and I am more than happy to provide for them

eddie007 Jan 8th 2012 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 9828153)
Honestly.... I would have told MY father or Mother we couldnt afford it. in the first place, thats a job for your ole man IMO, and a no go area for a DIL. So from your point of view in relation to this thread. I'm voting I wouldnt be overjoyed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks its a no no for a DIL to mention it... Feel like a gutless wonder right now...

ozzieeagle Jan 8th 2012 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 9828159)
I wouldn't be expecting anyone to pay money (nor would i take it when offered)who stays with us but do expect guests to pick up their share of the bill when eating out and to buy some wine for home. I think this is little to expect. Not the same with my family though as they have no money and I am more than happy to provide for them

We've always paid for all of any meal that we've been out on when staying with relations overseas. Unless it was my Father and Mother who quite frankly are loaded and insist we dont.

Grayling Jan 8th 2012 9:40 am

Indeed....depends who it is. If they are relatives I don't mind paying

ozzieeagle Jan 8th 2012 9:41 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9828160)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks its a no no for a DIL to mention it... Feel like a gutless wonder right now...

Your definitely not a Gutless wonder.... it's just not an issue for you really. I'd take a couple of days of work in protest..... Put the ole man between a rock and hardplace.

You dont handle all the finances do you ? If so then the parameter of the meal out should have been anticipated before hand and you should have told him you were not going. This is more your and your husbands issue IMO.

Damn I'm going against personal BBS rules to myself now.

Thats just my own personal way and everone is different... so its up to you.

eddie007 Jan 8th 2012 9:44 am

Wouldnt mind a share of the bill, however being pushed into an expensive meal out like this wrankles.... And yes it is nice to have "chipped in" however the price we appear to be paying is much higher than if it hadnt chipped in... What will be doing next? insisting we buy moet coz she chipped in a little...?

We have taken her out and about AND provided her with everything... With no expectations... Feels like what we were doing wasnt good enough...

$200 does not a millionaire make of us....

I feel sick