Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What has australia given the world?

What has australia given the world?

Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:24 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has australia given the world?

Originally Posted by chrispy
Wolf Creek, Priscilla Queen of the desert, Walkabout, Picnic at hanging rock, Neighbours, Kylie, Skippy, Rolf Harris, the digeridoo, the oldest paintings in the world, Mad Max, Gallipoli, perhaps the most comptetitive sporting nation in the world,

these things are normally said by the ignorent or those taking the piss
I'm not sure, are we to be thankful for the above?
Maybe they just threw out their trash

How on earth did the Aussies give us Gallipoli when they couldn't take it from a few Turks in the first place?

I'd agree with your last four words though
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede;5295034]I guess I would start with our incredible sporting prowess. How many other nations with a population our size (a mere 20 million) regularly appear in the top 10 Olympic medal winners, dominate at least one international sport and punch above our weight in several others? We're a world-class sporting nation, despite our tiny size - and we hosted "the best Olympics ever" in 2001.

BTW, does the name "Sir Donald Bradman" ring any bells?

Moving on to culture...

Painters: W. B. Gould; Norman Lindsay, Sidney Nolan; Arthur Streeton; Russell Drysdale; Albert Tucker; Brett Whitely; Pro Hart; Ken Done, and many others.

Poets and novelists: Andrew Barton ("Banjo") Patterson; Henry Lawson; Miles Franklin; Patrick White; Joan Lindsay; Colin Thiele; Mary Gilmore; Helen Garner; Ruth Park; Norman Lindsay (again), and many others.

Actors and actresses: Eroll Flynn; Bryan Brown; Mel Gibson; Heath Ledger; Peter Finch; Claudia Karvan; Eric Bana; Cate Blanchett, Ernie Dingo, and many others.

Singers & musicians: Dame Joan Sutherland; Peter Garrett; John Farnham; Slim Dusty; Jimmy Barnes; AC/DC; Men at Work; INXS; Dire Straits; Lee Kernaghan; Keith Urban; Nick Cave (and the Bad Seeds!); Savage Garden; the Bee Gees; John Paul Young; Olivia Newton-John; Peter Allen; Cold Chisel; Midnight Oil; John Farnham; Kylie Minogue; Silverchair, and many others.

Inventions:
[indent]
Pre-paid postage
The grain stripper
The refrigerator
Aussie Rules football
The underwater torpedo
Shipboard refrigeration (which enabled the export of meat from Australia to Great Britain)
Differential gears
The surf life-saving reel
The humespun process
The car radio
The Flying Doctor Service
The ute
Zinc cream
Antibiotic penicillin

Was not invented in Australia infact it was discover in London St Marys Hospital Paddington ( where my eldest son was born almost 18 years ago) by Alexander Fleming (he was Scottish).
In 1928, Sir Alexander Fleming observed that colonies of the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus could be destroyed by the mold Penicillium notatum, proving that there was an antibacterial agent there in principle. This principle later lead to medicines that could kill certain types of disease-causing bacteria inside the body.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:40 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What has australia given the world?

[QUOTE=chris and farideh;5297216]
Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I guess I would start with our incredible sporting prowess. How many other nations with a population our size (a mere 20 million) regularly appear in the top 10 Olympic medal winners, dominate at least one international sport and punch above our weight in several others? We're a world-class sporting nation, despite our tiny size - and we hosted "the best Olympics ever" in 2001.

BTW, does the name "Sir Donald Bradman" ring any bells?

Moving on to culture...

Painters: W. B. Gould; Norman Lindsay, Sidney Nolan; Arthur Streeton; Russell Drysdale; Albert Tucker; Brett Whitely; Pro Hart; Ken Done, and many others.

Poets and novelists: Andrew Barton ("Banjo") Patterson; Henry Lawson; Miles Franklin; Patrick White; Joan Lindsay; Colin Thiele; Mary Gilmore; Helen Garner; Ruth Park; Norman Lindsay (again), and many others.

Actors and actresses: Eroll Flynn; Bryan Brown; Mel Gibson; Heath Ledger; Peter Finch; Claudia Karvan; Eric Bana; Cate Blanchett, Ernie Dingo, and many others.

Singers & musicians: Dame Joan Sutherland; Peter Garrett; John Farnham; Slim Dusty; Jimmy Barnes; AC/DC; Men at Work; INXS; Dire Straits; Lee Kernaghan; Keith Urban; Nick Cave (and the Bad Seeds!); Savage Garden; the Bee Gees; John Paul Young; Olivia Newton-John; Peter Allen; Cold Chisel; Midnight Oil; John Farnham; Kylie Minogue; Silverchair, and many others.

Inventions:
[indent]
Pre-paid postage
The grain stripper
The refrigerator
Aussie Rules football
The underwater torpedo
Shipboard refrigeration (which enabled the export of meat from Australia to Great Britain)
Differential gears
The surf life-saving reel
The humespun process
The car radio
The Flying Doctor Service
The ute
Zinc cream
Antibiotic penicillin

Was not invented in Australia infact it was discover in London St Marys Hospital Paddington ( where my eldest son was born almost 18 years ago) by Alexander Fleming (he was Scottish).
In 1928, Sir Alexander Fleming observed that colonies of the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus could be destroyed by the mold Penicillium notatum, proving that there was an antibacterial agent there in principle. This principle later lead to medicines that could kill certain types of disease-causing bacteria inside the body.
I feel this has turned into a school project.
Go goolge!!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:42 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What has australia given the world?

[QUOTE=rosscov1970;5297241]
Originally Posted by chris and farideh

I feel this has turned into a school project.
Go goolge!!
Oops, spelt google wrong, maybe I should still be at school.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:43 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Flemming discovered it though there are also claims a South American had already done so. Ernst Boris Chain, a German Jew,who worked for the British based Aussie Howard Florey read Flemming's notes & together they began to isolate the actual penicillin we know today. They all shared a Nobel prize a few years later. The Aussies had a minor role in the matter but you know how they like to claim the all glory for these things

PS Penny I did
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Flemming discovered it though there are also claims a South American had already done so. Ernst Boris Chain, a German Jew,who worked for the British based Aussie Howard Florey read Flemming's notes & together they began to isolate the actual penicillin we know today. They all shared a Nobel prize a few years later. The Aussies had a minor role in the matter but you know how they like to claim the all glory for these things

PS Penny I did
It was discovered by Sir Alexander fleming, but produce by Howard Florey & Ernst B Chain, there is different to discovery & producing.
Vash said it was invented by Florey, just wanted to put my point through.

http://www.nndb.com/people/038/000128651/
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:13 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I guess I would start with our incredible sporting prowess. How many other nations with a population our size (a mere 20 million) regularly appear in the top 10 Olympic medal winners, dominate at least one international sport and punch above our weight in several others? We're a world-class sporting nation, despite our tiny size - and we hosted "the best Olympics ever" in 2001.
And well done for doing so well in the Olympics, however I think you'll find the olympics at Sydney was in 2000, not 2001 as you stated in the above quote, minor point but one I felt I had to raise......
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

I'm not sure, are we to be thankful for the above?
Maybe they just threw out their trash

How on earth did the Aussies give us Gallipoli when they couldn't take it from a few Turks in the first place?

I'd agree with your last four words though
Oh no! ... I loved Wolf Creek and Priscilla Guess I'm just easily pleased!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:41 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

vash your dieing on your knees here
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:45 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

John Paul Young claimed by Australia born : Glasgow Scotland
Jimmy Barnes claimed by Australia born : Glasgow Scotland
Colin Hay claimed by Australia born : Saltcoats Scotland
Angus Young claimed by Australia born : Glasgow Scotland
Malcolm Young claimed by Australia born : Glasgow Scotland
Bon Scott claimed by Australia born : Kirriemuire Scotland

I'm confused does that imply the Aussies are desperate to claim famous Scots people or that Scotland is a really shite place to live
There's so bloody many of them they have their own Wiki site

this just reminds me how much i miss you posting as much
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by soapy

this just reminds me how much i miss you posting as much
Well they are a bunch of drunken Scotsmen
Can you imagine the bar tab if you had that lot at the same meet
You still on the Extra Dry?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:55 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is still a little baby and is going really well compared to Europe and US.......it's the most amazing social experiment and it's full of people who want to have an adventure......as in up root and move to the other side of the world that's the nature of Australia.....it's got a long way to go but it will be fun watching it all happen
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

mancunian_bris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by russmcp
And well done for doing so well in the Olympics, however I think you'll find the olympics at Sydney was in 2000, not 2001 as you stated in the above quote, minor point but one I felt I had to raise......
You're right there, it was 2000.
Speaking of the Olympics, when Australia does become a republic, I hope they keep the Union Flag as part of the Aussie flag. Its about the only time we ever get to see it on the winners podium
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Hey, everyone has forgotten about the fabulous Aussie comedians THE UMBILICAL BROTHERS. Fantastic, they are.

Vash, you go bloke!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:40 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What has australia given the world?

I believe they were referring to the movie, not the event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.