Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What has australia given the world?

What has australia given the world?

Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What has australia given the world?

What is australia good at? what have they given the world?

Thinking about this, before comming to australia I never heard anything from there, no real news, almost as if nothing happens there. Are people just to lazy in australia? does it not contribute anything to world culture.

Heres some highlights from a funny article I read :-

"Unlike Australia, the natives of America did not spend all day painting zig-zags on cave walls. They had bows and arrows and went about their business with your father’s ears on a necklace.

Still, in just a couple of centuries, the Americans have brought life and neon to the desert, built New York out of the swamp and emerged as the most powerful nation the world has ever seen.

Meanwhile, the Australians were given what they call God’s own country. A land of plenty. A land of gold and magnesium and sheep.

But what have the Australians ever done? What is the name of their prime minister? How much is an Aussie dollar worth? Name five films that they’ve made. Now go round your house and try to find something that was made there. Your computer? Your car? Your trousers? When someone has outgrown their home country, they move to America to become even more successful. Jamie Oliver, Simon Cowell and Graham Norton are following in the footsteps of Anne Robinson and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Whereas you never hear anyone say, “Well I’m totally happy. I have lots of friends, an enjoyable career and a great family. So I’m moving to Australia.” No one has ever gone there because of the success they’ve made of themselves somewhere else.
"
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle1023849.ece

Thoughts?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

mancunian_bris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What has australia given the world?

This is the sort of post that gives ex-pats a bad name.
If you don't like it............buggar off back 'ome
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave99
What is australia good at? what have they given the world?

Thinking about this, before comming to australia I never heard anything from there, no real news, almost as if nothing happens there. Are people just to lazy in australia? does it not contribute anything to world culture.

Heres some highlights from a funny article I read :-

"Unlike Australia, the natives of America did not spend all day painting zig-zags on cave walls. They had bows and arrows and went about their business with your father’s ears on a necklace.

Still, in just a couple of centuries, the Americans have brought life and neon to the desert, built New York out of the swamp and emerged as the most powerful nation the world has ever seen.

Meanwhile, the Australians were given what they call God’s own country. A land of plenty. A land of gold and magnesium and sheep.

But what have the Australians ever done? What is the name of their prime minister? How much is an Aussie dollar worth? Name five films that they’ve made. Now go round your house and try to find something that was made there. Your computer? Your car? Your trousers? When someone has outgrown their home country, they move to America to become even more successful. Jamie Oliver, Simon Cowell and Graham Norton are following in the footsteps of Anne Robinson and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Whereas you never hear anyone say, “Well I’m totally happy. I have lots of friends, an enjoyable career and a great family. So I’m moving to Australia.” No one has ever gone there because of the success they’ve made of themselves somewhere else.
"
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle1023849.ece

Thoughts?
My dad always says the same..'what has Australia done for the world'?
I don't know and i don't really care.
But now i live here i do know they are very proud to 'own' their own products that are produced/made here and encourage us all to keep it all 'inside' OZ and not to buy other foreign products.

Maybe thats why no-one had heard of anything good coming out of Australia.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Dame Edna
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:39 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppett44
Dame Edna

And Sir Les
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mancunian_bris
This is the sort of post that gives ex-pats a bad name.
If you don't like it............buggar off back 'ome
I think he makes a good point.
I doubt that many yanks will find that their PC's or trousers were made in the USA though.
Could the American success be because of its geographical position?
This would have attracted mass migration causing 260 million people to live there now compared to the tiny 22 million here. I don't know, just sticking my opinion in.

Sean
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:42 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I have opals from Australia !!

and vegemite!! I have an aboriginal painting on my wall!!

I am happy and successful in the UK and so is my OH we are going to Oz because its an adventure !

I think many people do
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:52 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
My dad always says the same..'what has Australia done for the world'?
I don't know and i don't really care.
But now i live here i do know they are very proud to 'own' their own products that are produced/made here and encourage us all to keep it all 'inside' OZ and not to buy other foreign products.

Maybe thats why no-one had heard of anything good coming out of Australia.
I think its all talk......I know plenty of proud Aussies who reckon they're believers in the old 'Australian Owned & Operated' thing but week in week out they're down Crazy Clarks buying the cheapest thing they can find irrespective of where it came from.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:57 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

The Australian film industry, in my opinion, is probably the most exciting in the Western world at the moment. It doesn't just churn out your standard Hollywood formula fodder but produces original, thoughtful and artistic pieces.

5 commercially successful Australian films:

Moulin Rouge!

Happy Feet

Babe

Strictly Ballroom

Muriel's Wedding

All fabulous movies.

As for being a place for the unsuccessful to relocate... DH was headhunted because he is top of his game. If he were not successful we wouldn't have a chance of going!

Jeremy Clarkson is funny but no one should take his provocations seriously - they are for amusement only.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:26 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and my daughter.

'nuff said.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Are we using America as the example of a successful country that all other countries should try to be more like?!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:46 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by esperanza
Are we using America as the example of a successful country that all other countries should try to be more like?!

LOL - good point!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

mancunian_bris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
I hope not. Personally, I think that most Americans look at Australia as how the US used to be........before it went down the gurgler.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 11:04 am
Registered madwife!

itsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really niceitsjulie is just really nice

Originally Posted by asher
I have opals from Australia !!

and vegemite!! I have an aboriginal painting on my wall!!

I am happy and successful in the UK and so is my OH we are going to Oz because its an adventure !

I think many people do
I agree Asher. We are going for the adventure and the chance to explore the southern hemisphere not because we have a crap life here. We have both worked and studied hard, have a lot of equity in our house and are successful in our own fields. We are at an age now where our success will allow us to slow down a bit and enjoy life........we hope.

What about Rolf Harris and Germaine Greer?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 11:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Thoughts?
Here's one. You're asking for reasoned debate on an article written by Jeremy Clarkson? That's like asking someone to list a few positive effects of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster ...

He makes me laugh, I enjoy his TV show, but he's little more than a bigotted, ignorant shit-stirrer who doesn't like it up him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.