Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you eat in Oz that you thought you never would have?

What do you eat in Oz that you thought you never would have?

Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:27 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you eat in Oz that you thought you never would have?

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
so can I ask how you know about eating wood
Would pithy be a better description, or were you pith taking
Originally Posted by Briar
Often wondered if that is because they don't get heavy frost on em like they do in UK. Wonder if they had a few days in the freezer they might be better!
I put it down to Australian supermarkets wanting monster sprouts to maximise profits. Most veggies become woody if left to become to big. Beans, Marrows, Swede etc all become quite pithy. Maybe picking the sprouts when they're small & tender is the answer.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 11:51 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I have eaten Kangaroo and it's ok if a bit gamey, Crocodile is like fishy chicken but Emu is tasty!

However I expected to eat them in Oz the thing that surprised me was getting rabbit! I never expected that in Australia I thought they poisoned them all.

I didn't expect to love Thai food here either as the Tom Yum(?sp) soup in the UK closed your throat and made your eyes water for ages ! I hated it
Old Jun 18th 2013, 11:17 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no freshness like Coles freshness. Freshly par baked but made in Ireland a few months ago. Maybe explains why cats have been in the freezers for 18 years.
Originally Posted by cresta57
Would pithy be a better description, or were you pith taking

I put it down to Australian supermarkets wanting monster sprouts to maximise profits. Most veggies become woody if left to become to big. Beans, Marrows, Swede etc all become quite pithy. Maybe picking the sprouts when they're small & tender is the answer.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Crayfish. Which are crap. There not lobster nor anything like as good.

Lots of food I can't get - good quality game, particularly pigeon. The venison is vile.

Most of the meat is pretty nasty. Only managed to find good beef once, from Boatshed in Perth, but at $60 a kg, not something I can do daily.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah it is, I'd never come across it till I met a guy at college who came from Yorkshire, and went to school in Blackpool. Always wanted gravy with his chips, and the chip shop he used near hos school was the first one I'd ever been in which sold the so-called delicacy
Alias I am but a muggle
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Alias I am but a muggle
I waz warned sbout them when I was at school