Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your pets when you go away?

What do you do with your pets when you go away?

Old Aug 1st 2008, 10:49 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do with your pets when you go away?

We have decided to stay put.

There is loads in Freo we can do in that week so we are going to stay put and make the most of where we live which will of course save a bit of cash and Gordon doesn't have to go into kennels. Since he came out of quarantine he gets quite distressed at the mere sight of his box.

Thanks for the replies to catteries though.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, this is a reply from a friend of mine who is a professional dog trainer and former vet nurse (and very familiar with Burmese cats). Thought I would post it for all us worried cat owners!
Hmm well there are companies that will come each day to feed and cuddle the cats, or you can put them into a cattery, the Pet Chalet in brookfield is the one I would recommend, but this can get pricey, I think they are better at home even if they are not doing anything, they are at least in their own environment. The best thing to do of cause is to ask a friend or neighbour to come and visit, letting them in and out.

Saying all that cats are very resilient and really don't care who feeds them etc....I know it's hard to think they can't live with out us but really they don't care, as long as they are fed and have a warm place to sleep.
If anyone lives in Bris and needs a dog behavioural trainer/puppy lessons, she knows her stuff: www.dogease.com.au/

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I found the dog more entertaining.

We are going away for two weeks soon and would welcome suggestions for dog hotels in the Brisbane area.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by discobay
I found the dog more entertaining.

We are going away for two weeks soon and would welcome suggestions for dog hotels in the Brisbane area.
The aforementioned Pet Chalet in Brookfield takes cats and dogs. They have a website, just google it.

We ended up getting housesitters from www.housecarers.com.au I think it was. We chose a retired couple from Scotland who are coming over for three months, they are doing our place and then another place in Brisbane afterwards.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rabsody
We have had two beautiful burmese kittens since last Christmas that we are totally besotted with

This might sound stupid but we are going back to Uk for a month this Christmas and we are really worried about putting them in a pet chalet.

I don't want them to be distressed about being out of their home environment and how can you trust they are being looked after properly when they can't let you know that they weren't?!

The other alternative is getting a housesitter in.

What do you do with your pets when you go away for a long period? Any recommendations?
Hi Rapsody,
We go away quite alot and use a company called top dog they arrange for our dog to stay with a family in their home, and look after him as if he were there own. Why don't you give them a call or enquire online as they do arrange minders for cats also.

Allyson
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:36 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We get a come to your house dog walker and feeder works very well and then your house has comings and goings as well so double bonus.

Originally Posted by rabsody
We have had two beautiful burmese kittens since last Christmas that we are totally besotted with

This might sound stupid but we are going back to Uk for a month this Christmas and we are really worried about putting them in a pet chalet.

I don't want them to be distressed about being out of their home environment and how can you trust they are being looked after properly when they can't let you know that they weren't?!

The other alternative is getting a housesitter in.

What do you do with your pets when you go away for a long period? Any recommendations?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Pet Chalet is booked full over Christmas. I am curious about the service that visits your dog at home. Do they clean up the dog's "business"?