Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your pets when you go away?

What do you do with your pets when you go away?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you do with your pets when you go away?

We have had two beautiful burmese kittens since last Christmas that we are totally besotted with

This might sound stupid but we are going back to Uk for a month this Christmas and we are really worried about putting them in a pet chalet.

I don't want them to be distressed about being out of their home environment and how can you trust they are being looked after properly when they can't let you know that they weren't?!

The other alternative is getting a housesitter in.

What do you do with your pets when you go away for a long period? Any recommendations?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do with your pets when you go away?

We went away for 2 weeks last year and a good friend of mine stopped in every morning on her way to work and every evening on her way home to feed, cuddle and pay attention to our cat. We've got some really good neighbours here who looked after her when we went to Adelaide this past summer.

Why not see if there is a teenager in your street who would come in and feed/water and cuddle your kittens while you're away? My daughter is trying to set up just this type of thing in our area.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by rabsody
We have had two beautiful burmese kittens since last Christmas that we are totally besotted with

This might sound stupid but we are going back to Uk for a month this Christmas and we are really worried about putting them in a pet chalet.

I don't want them to be distressed about being out of their home environment and how can you trust they are being looked after properly when they can't let you know that they weren't?!

What do you do with your pets when you go away for a long period? Any recommendations?
We have 2 cats too. We would never put them in a cattery. They are locked up and get very distressed. I visited one and she showed me round, but it stunk.

What we didwhen we went on holiday, we asked a friend to pop in and fed them everyday. She only lived down the road. She cleaned the litter tray out and topped their food up. My cats just sleep all day anyway, they are house cats and don't go out.
Have you got a good friend or neigbour to help out?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry, cats are entirely mercenary creatures. They'll forget you the minute you've left, but be pee'd off with you for a month upon your return.

I say stick them in the cat chalet (I'm imagining a scene reminiscent of Hector's House . . . you're too young . . .google it).
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ladies, I just don't feel like I could impose on the neighbours and most of them are away for at least a week or two at Christmas time anyway.

The problem is we both work from home quite a bit so the cats are used to having us around. Plus, they are naughty babies and they sneak outside at every opportunity LOL! So they are not really housecats and we can have difficulties getting them inside as they like to play up!

I'm worried they will be really freaked out by not having anyone around the place all day every day (alternatively they might love the peace and quiet ).
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy

Why not see if there is a teenager in your street who would come in and . . cuddle your kittens . . ? .
I should think there may be one or two!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spartacus
I wouldn't worry, cats are entirely mercenary creatures. They'll forget you the minute you've left, but be pee'd off with you for a month upon your return.

I say stick them in the cat chalet (I'm imagining a scene reminiscent of Hector's House . . . you're too young . . .google it).
Normally I would agree but Burmese aren't like that, they are almost like dogs in terms of their loyalty and doting on owners. They sleep in bed with us (under the covers) every night. Pathetic I know!

The eldest one runs and fetches things when we throw them and then brings it back and drops it and waits for a throw again, just like a dog!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I should think there may be one or two!
Indeed. But none that I would want rifling around my knicker drawer or booze cabinet while I'm away thank you!

That reminds me, there's the 24 hour party share house down the bottom of the road, they might oblige?!!!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Indeed. But none that I would want rifling around my knicker drawer or booze cabinet while I'm away thank you!

That reminds me, there's the 24 hour party share house down the bottom of the road, they might oblige?!!!
I was viewing the term 'cuddle your kittens' more as a metaphor.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was viewing the term 'cuddle your kittens' more as a metaphor.
hahaha, ok, blonde as can be here, went completely over my head .... as per usual!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Please get ringing around for the Xmas period ASAP. My partners neice ususally takes our dogs or my son comes over if its a short break but one year we needed kennels and left it till about october We couldnt get anything even at places that were double booking runs. Cats might be easier but dont chance it.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Please get ringing around for the Xmas period ASAP. My partners neice ususally takes our dogs or my son comes over if its a short break but one year we needed kennels and left it till about october We couldnt get anything even at places that were double booking runs. Cats might be easier but dont chance it.
Great advice Jad. I think I will make a start on it this weekend.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:24 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We use a petsitter for our 3 cats; in fact I just interviewed and booked one for September. I was very worried about finding a new one in a strange town but remembered the woman who recommended me the Singapore one now lives in the same Sydney suburb as me, so took her advice. Personal recommendation is always good; even if they come with references and police checks (as ours does) you're never sure...

Our cats are neurotic and dog-like too and, until their quarantine, had never been boarded. The longest we've been away from them before is 12 days as they lose weight every time, and even a trip to the vet takes 2 days to get over for my big boy - wussy pussy.

Cats being so territorial, they're much happier at home if you can find somebody you trust, but if you are going for a month maybe boarding is best. At least there they'll hear voices most of the day.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:04 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking to put my Gordon in a cattery for a week. Since we brought him to Perth he has become very needy and clingy and I dont think it would be fair to leave him in the house and have someone come in and feed him.

Does anyone know of a good cattery in Perth?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:11 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

PP, I know that round here there are vets that do boarding, maybe you could try for similar.

Bo is even more needy than she was in Sg too. Over there she used to lose me, shout for me, I'd shout back and she'd come belting up the stairs. Here, when I go out I get to the front gate and can still hear her shouting for me. Still better than abandoning her and the boys though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.