Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your pets when you go away?

What do you do with your pets when you go away?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:14 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do with your pets when you go away?

Originally Posted by Seasider
PP, I know that round here there are vets that do boarding, maybe you could try for similar.

Bo is even more needy than she was in Sg too. Over there she used to lose me, shout for me, I'd shout back and she'd come belting up the stairs. Here, when I go out I get to the front gate and can still hear her shouting for me. Still better than abandoning her and the boys though.
I shall check that out

I do recall finding one cattery on the net - like a cats hotel, it was very swish but I cant remember where it was - about an hour from me I think.

I shall check it out, I am a bit concerned as Gordon was affected by his journey - the whole flight and time spent in a wooden crate and quarantine and has been different since he came out, so I need to think about it very carefully.

We might just settle for seeing what Freo has to offer and doing the touristy thing I guess.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:58 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am looking to put my Gordon in a cattery for a week. Since we brought him to Perth he has become very needy and clingy and I dont think it would be fair to leave him in the house and have someone come in and feed him.

Does anyone know of a good cattery in Perth?
PP,

we use Northern Districts Cattery. They are excellent (owners and staff totally cat mad). But they are a long way from you in Freo. Might be better for you to have a look through the Yellow Pages and then visit catteries near you (that's how we found ours).

But here is the link anyway: www.ndcattery.com.au

Gina
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:41 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got myself a dog sitter who's going to be coming in twice a day for when I go away. Check out the local paper... there's always pet watchers who will come in, feed, exercise, stroke etc. Cheaper than a boarding place and animal's happy.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:47 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rabsody
We have had two beautiful burmese kittens since last Christmas that we are totally besotted with

This might sound stupid but we are going back to Uk for a month this Christmas and we are really worried about putting them in a pet chalet.

I don't want them to be distressed about being out of their home environment and how can you trust they are being looked after properly when they can't let you know that they weren't?!

The other alternative is getting a housesitter in.

What do you do with your pets when you go away for a long period? Any recommendations?
We prefer to shoot ours and get new ones when we come back

On a more serious note... we use a woman who feeds them (we have 2 dogs), cleans out their pen, walks then and generally makes a fuss of them. Cost us $22/day while we're away and she keeps a check on the house as well - put's the bin out... brings the mail in... only problem is we come home to 2 spoiled dogs Plenty of these businesses around... i found our on the 'net.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
We prefer to shoot ours and get new ones when we come back
Now there's an idea! Thank you all for your suggestions!

I don't mind getting someone in daily but OH thinks the cats will be super lonely and bored for a whole month here by themselves. Also, given it is the height of summer it might get incredibly stuffy for them. Pampered princesses that they are! So I'm thinking a housesitter might be the go. Will start asking around friends, see if I can find a recommendation. I never thought I could love animals so much
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

ours always go into boarding, there is one just up the road (about 2 mins away), never had a problem with them boarding other than this time they got a cold!!!!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am looking to put my Gordon in a cattery for a week. Since we brought him to Perth he has become very needy and clingy and I dont think it would be fair to leave him in the house and have someone come in and feed him.

Does anyone know of a good cattery in Perth?
We had one crap one where one of our cats died and the other one almost did due to not looking after them properly. Since then we have foudn a very good one recommended by our vet in Maida Vale called A Cat Holiday home,
the number is 9454 6858. the lady is great, she even gave ours antibiotic tablets when needed and really looks after the cats.
Avoid Aberdale kennels like the proverbial plague.

If you live to far away ask your vets advice for a good plce near you
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, but why not see if someone wants to rent your home for the time you're away? Maybe someone moving over at that time needs a short term rental and you could offer reduced weekly rent in exchange for pet sitting. There was a thread a couple of days ago asking if it would be possible to get a rental in December.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Just a thought, but why not see if someone wants to rent your home for the time you're away? Maybe someone moving over at that time needs a short term rental and you could offer reduced weekly rent in exchange for pet sitting. There was a thread a couple of days ago asking if it would be possible to get a rental in December.
There's always housesitters.com.au. They'll send you a current directory of housesitters in your area. We used a lady from their directory a couple of times to stay with our dogs.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
We had one crap one where one of our cats died and the other one almost did due to not looking after them properly. Since then we have foudn a very good one recommended by our vet in Maida Vale called A Cat Holiday home,
the number is 9454 6858. the lady is great, she even gave ours antibiotic tablets when needed and really looks after the cats.
Avoid Aberdale kennels like the proverbial plague.

If you live to far away ask your vets advice for a good plce near you
God that is so awful, i cant believe one of your cats died in there,how on earth did they explain that?!!!!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I've got myself a dog sitter who's going to be coming in twice a day for when I go away. Check out the local paper... there's always pet watchers who will come in, feed, exercise, stroke etc. Cheaper than a boarding place and animal's happy.
Yes, we use pet sitters as well. There should be one available in your area Rabsody, plenty in Melbourne. Cost us 177 bucks for two weeks, for our Cat and our Dog.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes, we use pet sitters as well. There should be one available in your area Rabsody, plenty in Melbourne. Cost us 177 bucks for two weeks, for our Cat and our Dog.
"Don't Fret Pet" in Brisbane have a database of pet sitters.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:52 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine goes to Doggie B&B - costs $25 per day and she is thoroughly spoilt.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rabsody
God that is so awful, i cant believe one of your cats died in there,how on earth did they explain that?!!!!
The said it must ahve been a really fast cat flu as the cat "was ok" the evening before, the problem was that as soon as we walked in we could see the other cat was in distress with her breathing and despite the cats being in the same pen they had not even noticed!!!:curse: We were too shocked to kick up too much of a fuss but in retrospect it makes my blood boil. As i said, avoid them like the plague.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:33 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kim67
"Don't Fret Pet" in Brisbane have a database of pet sitters.
The good thing about Pet Sitters is it stops them learning to bark off other dogs and catching anything of them as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.