Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

what is it with aussie girls lack of humour?

what is it with aussie girls lack of humour?

Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:00 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what is it with aussie girls lack of humour?

Originally Posted by NickyC
It's actually worse than that. It was 2.36am local time here in Sydney when he had the urge to post that. That's assuming, of course, that he is who he says he is - a Sydney-dwelling cockney .

Well it IS a vibrant city and all that ... I prefer to think of the tune "New York, New York" and remember a phrase that fits my current home quite well ...

"I wanna sleep in a city that never wakes up!"

Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Cairnsexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

It's never been a problem for me, women laugh at me wherever I go!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cairnsexpat
It's never been a problem for me, women laugh at me wherever I go!
....and here I am, looking at your username and wondering what a sexpat is!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:43 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
....and here I am, looking at your username and wondering what a sexpat is!
........remember you can't have a sense of humour !
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
........remember you can't have a sense of humour !

Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
To be honest, if you lived in the western suburbs of Sydney, it wouldn't be long until you didn't have much of a sense of humour either.

There's not much to laugh about over there.
to be honest the longer i stay here the slower my brain becomes. i've spent 12 years in all in sydney and 22 in uk.when i went back to uk for 8 years, my sense of humour quadrupled, ive been back here a year and and i'm losing it 2% per day. being in such an open space with so much less people is partly why.. less stimulation
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fin
Don't put us all into the same catagory thanks!

Bit like saying Cockneys are all Market traders and speak rhyming slang
i'm not, thats why i asked if was the western suburbs.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Hmm....your first post on here is to complain about cultural differences?
if you call that a complaint, well it's the only one i have literally. however a couple of the girls i joked to complained like neurotic 3 year olds over something that was harmless. not EVERYTHING i joke about is hilarious(i'm not perfect) but the point is it should'nt be taken seriously. i no aussie could ever ever offend me no matter what. it's as much about being able to laugh at yourself as making people laugh
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Yup, all Aussie women hate the British sense of humour, you'd never see UK comedy on TV here ... heaven forbid in a DVD collection ...

<Disclaimer: English sense of humour in use, some of this may not be true>
i know uk comedy is popular here, but usually only the obvious crazy type ie: fawlty towers, monty python, little britain etc.(among young girls i mean)
What amazes me is that they don't like only fools and horses, surely the wittiest comedy sitcom ever. the exception however is if they are at least 30 years of age, maybe cos they're developed at that stage?
anyhow theres more to humour than tv comedies
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Totally disagree mate.

Depends on how you base the humour, I'd say you have to be here a while to work out what makes people tick.

They get my Sarf london slant thats for sure.
ye but have u been to sydney?(notice i said at least in sydney) i can believe what u said cos your in melbourne, the funniest ozzie i met was from melbourne, he was funnier than most poms. a friend of mine whos from london said it was vastly different there
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NickyC
It's actually worse than that. It was 2.36am local time here in Sydney when he had the urge to post that. That's assuming, of course, that he is who he says he is - a Sydney-dwelling cockney .
yep i sure am. i'm doing my night shift this week (6 to 2). nothing better to do at 2 in the morning is there? bed at 3:30, up again at 11
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Could it be that you're just not funny?
no. however not everything i say is hilarious, but not meant to be taken seriously either. it's not about being a comedian but being able to laugh at yourself and not take things seriously.

i was playing poker in a pub one day and one of the girls was eating a pizza. i looked at her with a frown and said "u got pizza on your face". a look of horror came over her face and she said "that was rude" (she did'nt have pizza on her face). i said "lighten up i was only kidding" and she said "that wasn't funny". all the blokes at the table laughed and the english woman sitting next to me, and the middle aged aussie woman.the youngish girls at the table did'nt even break into a smile. what i said was'nt actually funny but the reaction was hilarious. and what i said certainly wasn't rude. she reacted as if someone pulled her knickers down in public!!!!
and her face looked like this for the next 5 minutes:(one for each minute)
she certainly made us laugh. but the other half that makes up a sense of humour was missing(don't take it so seriously)

another example: i was talking to a girl over the phone(in her 20's), an agency employee about a medical i had to undergo for a job.
she told me to make sure i wear underwear. i said: "how do u know i don't wear underwear?....shit i hope my flies weren't undone when i registered at the agency". 5 second silence... "can u not say things like that"
the key word- UNBELIEVABLE
everyone i told this to broke out in hysterics except the young girls below roughly 30. they took it literally. i didn't bother explaining to them that it was a joke.
try and tell me that isn't funny. your not a young one r u?

Last edited by cockney pommy; Mar 14th 2008 at 4:26 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
I read this yesterday and just thought, poor attempt at stirring, move on.

I have mostly Aussie and Kiwi friends here in Singapore. I think we end up together precisely because we share a dry, sarcastic sense of humour.

This leads me to believe that Dorothy's hypothesis may well be correct.
read my reply to dorothy
oh and take note i did mean sydney girls under a (roughly) certain age. it seems quite a few agree with me on this, including the ones who aren't on this thread

Last edited by cockney pommy; Mar 14th 2008 at 4:16 pm. Reason: to specify what i meant
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:15 pm
Who's the nanny?

nanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gerry
shell suits and curly wigs at the ready
er im a scouse like whats wrong with me shell suit and me cerly air i'll av you know i yav a muzzy as well, cant see wots wrong with that, can you, well im waitin

Last edited by nanny2six; Mar 14th 2008 at 8:21 pm. Reason: the sentense, didn't make sense
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:25 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
read my reply to dorothy
oh and take note i did mean sydney girls under a (roughly) certain age. it seems quite a few agree with me on this, including the ones who aren't on this thread

Itake it you don't know how to multi-quote?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.