Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What % came on a reccie or holiday 1st?

View Poll Results: What did you before you emigrated?
Took a holiday in Australia before deciding to emigrate
33.33%
Came on a reccie trip to make sure
28.57%
Had never been Australia before emigration.
33.33%
Other
8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

What % came on a reccie or holiday 1st?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What % came on a reccie or holiday 1st?

Originally Posted by Seasider
You'd have to categorise the migrants, I think. With or without children, moved with a suitcase or a 40ft container, etc.

I've moved blind with a suitcase (albeit to Singapore), and well-clued up with a container and 3 cats. No kids.
Originally Posted by comet555
We moved with to a country we'd never been to with two little kids and 5 suitcases full of clothes, that was it!

Mind you we are a bit crazy , and we still have a few things in storage with our inlaws back in Canada.
Me three....a suitcase each to a country we'd never been to before. No jobs, nowhere to live, not a lot of money and 2 kids. I don't know if I could do that again now though
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:52 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Grrr! I can't remember who started it or what the thread title was so it's going to take a long time....I am going out for a girlie get together so unless anyone else can find it I give in

Maybe do another? as it was a loooonnngg while back anyway
Was this the one ??

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...76#post6990876
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Came out on a temporary visa after qualifying just to see some of the world whilst in Oz and on the way and the way back 20 years ago. Stayed the 18 months we'd intended. Brought my defacto, married him 10 years later. Back to Oz on holiday 6 months before I hit 45, decided we'd like to spend more time there, splitting our time between UK and Oz. Applied for PR, got it in 10 weeks, have bought a flat (rented out) but still working hard over here, saving for semi-retirement (no kids). Plan on taking a year off and travelling round Oz in a motorhome but won't be moving full-time for the foreseeable future, timescale depending on aged parents and how we feel.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:38 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

we came on a reccie only so we could validate our visa if we had sold our house in time then we would of just come to live without ever visiting first

oh if only

jan xx
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel

No, it had a poll on it with options like: I reccied and love it, I reccied and hate it, I didn't reccie and loved it, I didn't reccie and hate it etc etc.

I will try to find it again today
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We visited about 25 years ago but I hated it. Totally forgot about it and lived life. 5 years ago for various reasons we thought we'd give it a go. Because of house not selling in time I had to validate on my own so came for a week. So we didn't reccie but we weren't totally blind to the place. Good job you had 'other' up there.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We visited about 25 years ago but I hated it. Totally forgot about it and lived life. 5 years ago for various reasons we thought we'd give it a go. Because of house not selling in time I had to validate on my own so came for a week. So we didn't reccie but we weren't totally blind to the place. Good job you had 'other' up there.

Did you go back to the same place that you hated 25 years ago or somewhere new?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast Settlers
Did you go back to the same place that you hated 25 years ago or somewhere new?
Hated Perth, moved over blind to Gold Coast. No idea what I would think of Perth now before anyone says anything.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:02 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I voted "Other" I didnt really emigrate!

I had a holiday when I was 16.... (not a recce)
and 10 years later decided I wanted another holiday so got a working holiday visa.....

That working holiday never ended and I just went through various visa applications to prolong it, before I knew it I had PR sinply because I was fed up of being 'owned' by my employers sponsoring a visa. I guess with mortgage, dog, wife, kids and citizenship I'm not going back any time soon and actually HAVE migrated - but at what point it ceased to be my holiday and started to be ordinary life I'm not quite sure!!