Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What % came on a reccie or holiday 1st?

View Poll Results: What did you before you emigrated?
Took a holiday in Australia before deciding to emigrate
33.33%
Came on a reccie trip to make sure
28.57%
Had never been Australia before emigration.
33.33%
Other
8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

What % came on a reccie or holiday 1st?

Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What % came on a reccie or holiday 1st?

Thanks so much for all of your great replies. Seasider, I have to admit that in a way this is a form of market research. We are considering the feasibility of adding reccie trips to our list services but we're just not sure it's worth it yet with the way things are going financially in the UK but if general opinion is that people really find them valuable then we'll run them but I was generally interested anyway as I (stupidly? naively? bravely? or prudently?) came out just based on research I'd done on the internet & luckily I made the right decision and I was wondering how many others did that too. I'm sorry there wasn't an option for you Machiavelli but the poll boxes aren't big enough to fit all that in . You didn't come on a holiday or reccie though so you came out without either too. I thought most people would say they came after a reccie but like you say Emelems; it's still very close at the moment! We'll wait & see....
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:24 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
oooh! its close at the moment!
  • 38% had never visited before emigrating
  • 65% had been at least once

Not that close. Emigrating blind can be a costly, financial and emotional, mistake if you have unrealistic expectations.

The percentages I would like to see are, out of 100% of each (had visited or emigrated blind) what number want to go back or feel grossly unhappy. As there are far more who have visited before emigrating raw numbers wouldn't work but I would suggest that there would be a higher percentage of unhappy peeps in the "emigrated blind" group.

Last edited by bigAPE; Feb 1st 2009 at 9:27 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:52 pm
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

You don't get to do a reccie when you are a kid, you go along with your parents. Thank god they moved!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
  • 38% had never visited before emigrating
  • 65% had been at least once

Not that close. Emigrating blind can be a costly, financial and emotional, mistake if you have unrealistic expectations.

The percentages I would like to see are, out of 100% of each (had visited or emigrated blind) what number want to go back or feel grossly unhappy. As there are far more who have visited before emigrating raw numbers wouldn't work but I would suggest that there would be a higher percentage of unhappy peeps in the "emigrated blind" group.

We did a poll a while back and it was actually the other way around I'll see if I can find it.....might be a while
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:55 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

So I just typed a long post and thought, ah bugger it, you want stats not opinions. Voted "holiday" although really we'd had a few here but they weren't related to migrating. The recce came after we'd signed the contracts, too. I just like to be different.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:00 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
I tend to agree... you would expect that a far higher % of the "emigrate blind" group would return to the UK, in comparison to those who have visited or lived here beforehand.

But on the flip side of that argument, the "emigrate blind" group kind of strike me as more adventurous and more willing to "make it happen no matter what".

Just been looking back through some old threads.....here's a good quote:

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You should only really consider migrating to a place you actually like or feel you have a connection with.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
We did a poll a while back and it was actually the other way around I'll see if I can find it.....might be a while

Grrr! I can't remember who started it or what the thread title was so it's going to take a long time....I am going out for a girlie get together so unless anyone else can find it I give in

Maybe do another? as it was a loooonnngg while back anyway
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:54 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
But on the flip side of that argument, the "emigrate blind" group kind of strike me as more adventurous and more willing to "make it happen no matter what".
That could also be a factor. Good point
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Can I join the no reccie club?
me too please - never set foot on Oz soil before I came as a perm resident
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:53 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We'd never been before we got our PR and came over.

We just decided we wanted something different for a couple years and we'd see what happens. Knowing up front that it was not likely to be a permanent move has actually made it easier for us to settle, because we know we'll be sticking it out for a couple years so we might as well make the best of it. We got PR because we wanted the option to stay as long as we wanted if we really liked it here. It turns out we love it!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by markallwood
I have a feeling that is a very valid point.

Even though I did two trips of 4 weeks each, before I migrated, I still gave up on Australia at one stage.
Living here never was quite the same as being on holiday here.

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

I went over for a long hol with girlfriend to see if I wanted her to be my wife!!!

Also to see the future MIL & how my wife would look in 30 years time. History says I was impressed

TD
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough

Glad you were impressed Toe Dipper!

You could do a whole psychology thesis on this, just working out which of those groups returned home and which of those used an agent e.t.c. It still seems that each of the groups are fairly equal though like you pointed out bigAPE there are far more people who came over before emigrating than those that emigrated blind.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:04 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You'd have to categorise the migrants, I think. With or without children, moved with a suitcase or a 40ft container, etc.

I've moved blind with a suitcase (albeit to Singapore), and well-clued up with a container and 3 cats. No kids.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:14 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
You'd have to categorise the migrants, I think. With or without children, moved with a suitcase or a 40ft container, etc.

I've moved blind with a suitcase (albeit to Singapore), and well-clued up with a container and 3 cats. No kids.
We moved with to a country we'd never been to with two little kids and 5 suitcases full of clothes, that was it!

Mind you we are a bit crazy , and we still have a few things in storage with our inlaws back in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.