Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Well here goes, the renovations begin

Well here goes, the renovations begin

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well here goes, the renovations begin

Our kitchen was done beforewe moved in and it's styled reasonably neutral and won't need doing for a while - good for 10 years plus.

We're not massive snobs on this front, its adequate and doesn't look so old it's not fitted or has a sort of spartan look you see alot.

At the end of the day, alot of kitchens are made out of MDF! Next time around, I'm thinking of buying decent 19mm hardwood panels and making the cabinets myself with a suitable precision joiner.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Our kitchen was done beforewe moved in and it's styled reasonably neutral and won't need doing for a while - good for 10 years plus.

We're not massive snobs on this front, its adequate and doesn't look so old it's not fitted or has a sort of spartan look you see alot.

At the end of the day, alot of kitchens are made out of MDF! Next time around, I'm thinking of buying decent 19mm hardwood panels and making the cabinets myself with a suitable precision joiner.
If you have the time and ability I would say go ahead and make your own. The cupboard doors are vinyl wrapped MDF and the cupboards are as most mass manufacturde kitchens made of chipboard. We have the look we want but I understand it isn't to everyones taste.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
If you have the time and ability I would say go ahead and make your own. The cupboard doors are vinyl wrapped MDF and the cupboards are as most mass manufacturde kitchens made of chipboard. We have the look we want but I understand it isn't to everyones taste.
Judging by people's tastes, I'd say you have it. I like it. In some ways, I like the MDF look - it gives a clean look. Whereas hardwood might be quite dark and heavy. I'd go for a light hardwood with a poly or oil coating.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

C, as long as you and yours like it, then it's great. After all you are the ones who will look at it every day for the next number of years. And, if you sell up in years to come, the new owners can change it if it's not their taste.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:37 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Getting there now, still quite a bit to do but at least I can use the kitchen now. New front door went in yesterday too.
Attached Thumbnails Well here goes, the renovations begin-renovations-067.jpg   Well here goes, the renovations begin-renovations-064.jpg  
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Getting there now, still quite a bit to do but at least I can use the kitchen now. New front door went in yesterday too.
Looking good NB. Who did you use to do your kitchen? We've had a quote from Ikal in Osbourne Park - great kitchen design but I went a bit greyer when I saw the price!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Looking good NB. Who did you use to do your kitchen? We've had a quote from Ikal in Osbourne Park - great kitchen design but I went a bit greyer when I saw the price!
We used Kitcraft and have to say they were very good, we were lucky with the fitter we got though. Kitchen only, no appliances was $14,500 but we did go for upgraded cupboard doors, handles and benchtops. Not the cheapest in the world but I am pleased with the end result. Glass splashbacks have been ordered (although no nearer picking a bloody colour) and blinds will be about 6 weeks so hopefully all done for Christmas.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Most modern kitchens are made out of MDF and chipboard - A fully hardwood kitchen would cost a fortune and as you say would be very dark. The problem with MDF/chipboard is that they are not all created equal. Some of the cheaper Asian imports are full of nasty and smelly chemicals. Try and go for a quality Aussie version instead.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

We used Kitcraft and have to say they were very good, we were lucky with the fitter we got though. Kitchen only, no appliances was $14,500 but we did go for upgraded cupboard doors, handles and benchtops. Not the cheapest in the world but I am pleased with the end result. Glass splashbacks have been ordered (although no nearer picking a bloody colour) and blinds will be about 6 weeks so hopefully all done for Christmas.
I've heard they are good and that's not a bad price - might give them a call. The quote we got from Ikal is expensive but it does include Corion worktops, glass splashbacks, loads of lighting and blum (sic) soft close drawer and cupboard mechanisms - as a gadget man, show me those kind of things and they're getting bought!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

nice kitchen NB
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 12:00 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've heard they are good and that's not a bad price - might give them a call. The quote we got from Ikal is expensive but it does include Corion worktops, glass splashbacks, loads of lighting and blum (sic) soft close drawer and cupboard mechanisms - as a gadget man, show me those kind of things and they're getting bought!
The blum soft close drawers are excellent, I have them in mine. My splashbacks are costing $2400, not cheap. As someone who did quite a lot of research on kitchens before I would say steer away from Corian for your benchtops. It is not hard wearing at all. my friends have it and it was scratched within a week. We have gone for Quantum Quartz for ours but Caeserstone were quite good too.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:11 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking good C
Is that a nice dessert I see in the oven
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Love your kitchen NB lovely and modern cant cook now though cos it'll get all dirty
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
Love your kitchen NB lovely and modern cant cook now though cos it'll get all dirty
hey ..thats a good idea i might try it
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Looking lovely C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.