Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wealthy Upper Class British Expats

Wealthy Upper Class British Expats

Old May 4th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wealthy Upper Class British Expats

As much as everyone despises the class system, it seems everyone wants to appear rich. Thats because people without power, status or position are often rorted, reamed and ridiculed without redress........and then spat out afterwards.
Old May 4th 2010, 1:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
OK what about them with big noses?
They can get in line behind the meek

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
No. But if they're landed, it probably makes them richer. Rich people can afford better soaps and cleaners. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. So they're probably closer to God than you.

HTH.
In spite of my Dad promising I had a hotline to God, I think most people ae nearer to him than I am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Polly is closer to red rooster
I have a reformed diet these days, you know that! Tuna salad for supper tonight
Old May 4th 2010, 1:31 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jad n rich;8540546]It would appear so

I have no idea of his wealth, however I cant imagine why anyone rolling in dosh would live in Adelaide

Because , Adelaide has a lot of " Old Money " and an exclusive elite , Have,nt you heard of the "Adelaide Club"?? To name a few Rupert Murdock, Rm Williams , The Hills family , The Coopers [ brewers] , Robert Gerard , Etc Etc...and lot,s of up and coming wine Barons.....mm
Old May 4th 2010, 1:42 am
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all

When my family moved to Australia in 1964 we lived on a property called Argyle. Our family name is Earl.
My dad went to the local post office and asked for mail for Earl of Argyle. The woman behind the counter thought he was the Earl of Argyle!!!! We were hardly landed gentry!
Old May 4th 2010, 1:46 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=earlybird;8541701]When my family moved to Australia in 1964 we lived on a property called Argyle. Our family name is Earl.
My dad went to the local post office and asked for mail for Earl of Argyle. The woman behind the counter thought he was the Earl of Argyle!!!! We were hardly landed gentry![/QUOT

Like it
Old May 4th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mr mover;8541677]
Originally Posted by jad n rich
It would appear so

I have no idea of his wealth, however I cant imagine why anyone rolling in dosh would live in Adelaide

Because , Adelaide has a lot of " Old Money " and an exclusive elite , Have,nt you heard of the "Adelaide Club"?? To name a few Rupert Murdock, Rm Williams , The Hills family , The Coopers [ brewers] , Robert Gerard , Etc Etc...and lot,s of up and coming wine Barons.....mm
'Old money' to a country only two centuries old and 'nouveau riche' everywhere else.
Old May 4th 2010, 1:58 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I come from a pretty wealthy family but walked away from all the crap that went with it when i was 17,wanted to live my own life,have been well and truely cut off dont have a pot to piss in but turns out im the happiest of the lot of em
Old May 4th 2010, 8:39 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
He's running an open house for Pauline Hanson
Pauline Hanson is immigrating to the UK so your getting one of our wealthy upper class, landed elite Her country estate in outback Queensland is still on the market.

Last edited by mohogony; May 4th 2010 at 8:41 am.
Old May 4th 2010, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Officer Dibble;8541717]
Originally Posted by mr mover

'Old money' to a country only two centuries old and 'nouveau riche' everywhere else.
Despising the class system seems a BE pastime at times, along with an obsession with money.

Newly minted expats might be nouveau rich. The oldest Australian families and merchants would not be..
Old May 4th 2010, 9:52 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
He's running an open house for Pauline Hanson
Wow he is a busy boy. I heard he is off to the UK tomorrow to help count the BNP's votes in the election.
Old May 4th 2010, 9:57 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Despising the class system seems a BE pastime at times, along with an obsession with money.

Newly minted expats might be nouveau rich. The oldest Australian families and merchants would not be..
It's "nouveau riche" ... if yer gonna use poncy phrases then get 'em right ... you sound so common ...
Old May 4th 2010, 10:12 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
And where does Rupert Murdoch now live? It's sure as hell not in Adelaide or anywhere in Australia...
Old May 4th 2010, 10:48 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deancm
And where does Rupert Murdoch now live? It's sure as hell not in Adelaide or anywhere in Australia...
He probably needs to live in the USA to be able to run his business that doesn't mean he doesn't like OZ . His son recently moved from New york to live in OZ because he thought OZ has a better lifestyle for his family.

Last edited by mohogony; May 4th 2010 at 10:58 am.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
He probably needs to live in the USA to be able to run his business that doesn't mean he doesn't like OZ . His son recently moved from New york to live in OZ because he thought OZ has a better lifestyle for his family.
His business is global so he could run it from anywhere in the world. I'd say he lives in the U.S. so he doesn't have to pay Australian taxes.
Old May 4th 2010, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In spite of my Dad promising I had a hotline to God, I think most people ae nearer to him than I am
Lucky girl...we never got trendy phrases like that. More standard ecclesiastical crap in our household...most of it was well and truly over my head..

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It's "nouveau riche" ... if yer gonna use poncy phrases then get 'em right ... you sound so common ...
lol.Typing on a tiny mobile keypad is a real leveller, don't you think?

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
I come from a pretty wealthy family but walked away from all the crap that went with it when i was 17,wanted to live my own life,have been well and truely cut off dont have a pot to piss in but turns out im the happiest of the lot of em
I don't know how your experiences dovetail with the Legion, and the details are not my business, mate : I remember toying with the idea myself not particularly seriously.. I suppose you'll never be wealthy in the military, or be guaranteed to make family happy. Bit of irony - military ways not my mother's ethos, but she sees parallels with service, tradition etc. There are wealthy families connected with military service, naturally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.