Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Wealthy Upper Class British Expats

Wealthy Upper Class British Expats

Old May 3rd 2010, 3:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wealthy Upper Class British Expats

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Have you ever met any British expats that were wealthy, landed gentry types in the UK?

Or does Australia primarily attract working/middle class types (myself included)?

I see myself in the second category but the missus sees it differently.

After I've done something she often shouts "Lord all ****** mighty"
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I see myself in the second category but the missus sees it differently.

After I've done something she often shouts "Lord all ****** mighty"

I've met people you might stylistically refer to as the Upper-Middles, but not people with a private income or landed gentry in the aristocratic, traditional sense. I've met plenty of 'landed' families in both Australia and the UK. Even gentlemen farmers and Australian families with nice accents: a wealthy Surrey stockbroker is not necessarily a gentlemen. If I had to take a punt, and I will, I would say most migrants are the lower ranking middle and working class.

Plenty of buckshee noblemen around. Reminds me of the time I was sailing with the CO of the Blues and Royals, and former equerry to the Queen, ages ago and the boat was awash with what seemed like at least half the effing Royal Household's staff and such-like thrusting and ernest people. We had a bloke crewing who claimed to be a titled Scot until someone naturally pointed out there were no Scots of that title in the peerage! He got a figurative clip around the ear...
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few British multi-millionaires who have decided to stay in Australia - all of whom initially came here with work and on 457 visas.

Not sure about landed gentry (ie aristocrats) from the UK but also know a couple of Australians who live of trust funds set up by the family.

However, none of this is surprising as it takes all types of different people to make a community/country.
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:53 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I know a few British multi-millionaires who have decided to stay in Australia - all of whom initially came here with work and on 457 visas.
If they still have to work they don't count.
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Plenty of buckshee noblemen around. Reminds me of the time I was sailing with the CO of the Blues and Royals, and former equerry to the Queen, ages ago and the boat was awash with what seemed like at least half the effing Royal Household's staff and such-like thrusting and ernest people. We had a bloke crewing who claimed to be a titled Scot until someone naturally pointed out there were no Scots of that title in the peerage! He got a figurative clip around the ear...

I remember dicking about in a row boat on Lady Dixon Park lake with a few other guys, one of whom's uncle ran a pub called the Royal Oak in Westhoughton... so pretty similar.
Old May 3rd 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

One earns around $17 mil a year (published accounts) so I would have thought that for him it is not a question of having to work. I would have also guessed that is the same for the others we know.
Old May 3rd 2010, 7:39 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever met any British expats that were wealthy, landed gentry types in the UK?
Does the landed gentry still exist as a class? And if they do, isn't their importance massively diluted by the professional rich?

Probably more landed gentry in Australia than in England, come to think of it...
Old May 3rd 2010, 7:50 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Was it Tony Robinson who made a programme about the monarchy? It showed that if the royals had followed down the Plantagenet line the true king of England is a sheep farmer in rural NSW! He didn't seem very impressed and didn't want to contest his right to the throne.

Does he count???
Old May 3rd 2010, 8:08 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Was he a real Lord though?
He was probably called one because he was forever jolly and happy
Old May 3rd 2010, 8:13 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
He was probably called one because he was forever jolly and happy
Unlike our learned colleague Farkwit
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I remember dicking about in a row boat on Lady Dixon Park lake with a few other guys, one of whom's uncle ran a pub called the Royal Oak in Westhoughton... so pretty similar.

Indeed. They all crap poo and spunk like everyone else.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:03 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Unlike our learned colleague Farkwit
I am happy and jolly. I am also a pain in the arse and a general pedant
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thumbs up Re: Wealthy Upper Class British Expats

Anyhow Mister Farquar - tell us about your title. Where did you get it - a cornflake packet?

Reminds me - whilst we are on the topic, one of my wife's uncles married a Spanish noblewoman - a Countess. (Errors and omissions apply).

I met her husband and his obvious delight at having scored this was only marred by the fact, as he pointed out glumly (in good English) - that he was still 'waiting for the money'.

The only other remarkable thing about my wife's family is that her grandfather performed the autopsy on Trotsky. "What the ***** was he doing near him" I wondered.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Anyhow Mister Farquar - tell us about your title. Where did you get it - a cornflake packet?

Reminds me - whilst we are on the topic, one of my wife's uncles married a Spanish noblewoman - a Countess.

I met her husband and his obvious delight at having scored this was only marred by the fact, as he pointed out glumly (in good English) - that he was still 'waiting for the money'.

The only other remarkable thing about my wife's family is that her grandfather performed the autopsy on Trotsky. "What the ***** was he doing near him" I wondered.
I bought mine from Tony Blair. He said to keep quiet about it though.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I bought mine from Tony Blair. He said to keep quiet about it though.
Good thing you haven't shared that with anyone then isn't it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.