Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Watching Football at 4.30 am... Whats your routine.

Watching Football at 4.30 am... Whats your routine.

Old May 18th 2010, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Watching Football at 4.30 am... Whats your routine.

Personally I've never been able to do this without a great deal of discomfort and inconvenience. Especially as I work Night Shift during the week and the Weekends are sacrosanct as they are my only 2.5 days of day shift living.

However the World Cup beckons, and I've got a few 4.30 am games pencilled in.

Bearing in mind, I never watch football without at least 3 or 4 beers in me, I'm asking what your routine would be for watching a game at 4.30 am on a Sunday morning.

I'm planning to forgo a decent Saturday night, by going to bed between say 7.30 and 11.30 pm, watching the first game at say 12.30 and cruising along until 4.30 am for the big ones.

So how do you do it ? and how do you manage to stop disrupting the family, especially if you get vocal.

Personally I reckon 4.30 am games are hell, not being able to watch a game without restriction is a bit like "kissing your sister" and I stopped following my league team around 6 years back, because it all smacked of desperation to me. Once in 4 years is worth the sacrifice though.
Old May 18th 2010, 8:22 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watching Football at 4.30 am... Whats your routine.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Personally I've never been able to do this without a great deal of discomfort and inconvenience. Especially as I work Night Shift during the week and the Weekends are sacrosanct as they are my only 2.5 days of day shift living.

However the World Cup beckons, and I've got a few 4.30 am games pencilled in.

Bearing in mind, I never watch football without at least 3 or 4 beers in me, I'm asking what your routine would be for watching a game at 4.30 am on a Sunday morning.

I'm planning to forgo a decent Saturday night, by going to bed between say 7.30 and 11.30 pm, watching the first game at say 12.30 and cruising along until 4.30 am for the big ones.

So how do you do it ? and how do you manage to stop disrupting the family, especially if you get vocal.

Personally I reckon 4.30 am games are hell, not being able to watch a game without restriction is a bit like "kissing your sister" and I stopped following my league team around 6 years back, because it all smacked of desperation to me. Once in 4 years is worth the sacrifice though.
Fortunately the two first England games are at midnight on Fri nights here. The other round 1 game is a Wed night I think, same time.
Old May 18th 2010, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Fortunately the two first England games are at midnight on Fri nights here. The other round 1 game is a Wed night I think, same time.
Aus has two games on a 4.30 am. First one is the 14th of June luckily thats a public holiday here in Aus. So not quite so bad.

One in the middle is a Midnight game so that one is fine.

The other 4.30am one is really good actually 24th June, because the England game is on before it.

Still I'm trying to work out exactly how to watch and make it feel enjoyable.

If Aus draw with Germany in that first game, then it's almost odds on that Aus will play England in the next round IMO. Aus only have to beat England for them to have had the ultimate sporting triumph in this Countries history. So I think it would be an understatement to call that the Mother of all Football games.
Old May 18th 2010, 8:48 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Aus has two games on a 4.30 am. First one is the 14th of June luckily thats a public holiday here in Aus. So not quite so bad.

One in the middle is a Midnight game so that one is fine.

The other 4.30am one is really good actually 24th June, because the England game is on before it.

Still I'm trying to work out exactly how to watch and make it feel enjoyable.

If Aus draw with Germany in that first game, then it's almost odds on that Aus will play England in the next round IMO. Aus only have to beat England for them to have had the ultimate sporting triumph in this Countries history. So I think it would be an understatement to call that the Mother of all Football games.
do you honestly see Aus qualifying from that group? They have a weaker squad than 4 years ago, they don't have a international quality striker and don't have the same team gel they had 4 years ago either. They rely solely on one man; Cahill. You only have to look at their Asian cup qualifying to show that they are not likely to put on much of a show.
Old May 18th 2010, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

do you honestly see Aus qualifying from that group? They have a weaker squad than 4 years ago, they don't have a international quality striker and don't have the same team gel they had 4 years ago either. They rely solely on one man; Cahill. You only have to look at their Asian cup qualifying to show that they are not likely to put on much of a show.
Nope I dont, but you never know.

I do think they would pull out an extreme effort against England though.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:03 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Nope I dont, but you never know.

I do think they would pull out an extreme effort against England though.
I have no doubt they would either. I think Australia are still believing their 2003 friendly win was a serious result though.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have no doubt they would either. I think Australia are still believing their 2003 friendly win was a serious result though.
It was for them

Seriously did England really ever have a real "friendly" with Scotland, it should be seen in the same light, and maybe moreso.

I'm hoping for some really good tips for this 4.30 am stuff though.... I just cant work out how to do it to the best effect, save for staying up the whole time, then I'd be stonkered.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Are they? I thought we had 2 4:30ams and one midnight on a Thursday night? Got any links for the times and things?
Old May 18th 2010, 10:09 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

My OH gets up at stupid oclock to watch Celtic. I watch the recorded versions instead.

I love the world cup, but have no one to support this time around
Old May 18th 2010, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Why anyone in their right mind would choose to be up at 4.30am to watch a bunch of overpaid nancy-boys play soccer on TV is completely beyond my comprehension. It's bad enough at 3 in the afternoon!
Old May 18th 2010, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
That can't be a new feeling though?
Old May 18th 2010, 10:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Why anyone in their right mind would choose to be up at 4.30am to watch a bunch of overpaid nancy-boys play soccer on TV is completely beyond my comprehension. It's bad enough at 3 in the afternoon!
The only thing that should be watched at 4:30 in the morning is the inside of the eyelids.

Must be depressing though, being Scottish at World Cup time, dontcha think?????
Old May 18th 2010, 12:06 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 18th 2010, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
The only thing that should be watched at 4:30 in the morning is the inside of the eyelids.

Must be depressing though, being Scottish at World Cup time, dontcha think?????
Na, well used to it by now.

There is always Republic of Ireland, Sweden and the likes
Old May 18th 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
My OH gets up at stupid oclock to watch Celtic. I watch the recorded versions instead.

Come on the BHOYS at least next season they have GOT to be better than last

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.