British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/uk-flights-airports-shutdown-up-3-days-664113/)

emigratingherberts Apr 20th 2010 6:36 am

Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Earliest flight which can be booked from Sydney to London is 11th May :eek: (with Qantas)

Alfresco Apr 20th 2010 8:24 am

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8508626)
:blink: What an odyssey! But at least you're nearly home :thumbup:. Where will your ferry be docking in the UK?

The only European destination outside of the cloud that MAS flies to is Rome so we're sitting tight in KL for now. Yesterday in KL city there seemed to be Europeans wandering around everywhere I looked. We're provisionally booked to fly to London on Friday :fingerscrossed:.

Heading for Portsmouth. 24 hour trip. Then need to catch train back to home.

Here are some pics of the Navy shipped docked here in Santander taking soldiers and civilians home.

Good luck with your flight on Friday. :fingerscrossed:

CEM Apr 20th 2010 8:40 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8508740)
They popped down to the Falklands to help a few people out so you never know. Is that Thatcher STILL alive?! :blink:

Well I think it's still breathing. Is that the same thing??

paulry Apr 20th 2010 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8509243)
Heading for Portsmouth. 24 hour trip. Then need to catch train back to home.

Here are some pics of the Navy shipped docked here in Santander taking soldiers and civilians home.

Good luck with your flight on Friday. :fingerscrossed:

Have a good trip home :thumbup:, hope it all goes well for you from here:fingerscrossed:.

Wilgar Apr 20th 2010 10:18 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8508740)
They popped down to the Falklands to help a few people out so you never know. Is that Thatcher STILL alive?! :blink:

Oh I think I know you of old.New name?
Don` be cheeky about Lady Thatcher who I may add is still very much alive.

CEM, you are so naughty!
Yes Arch has chewed many things including the fence built to keep him in!!!!!!!!!!!

Wilgar Apr 20th 2010 10:21 am

Finally tracked down our friends visiting from UK.They flew out of SYD Thurs pm and have been in Bangkok ever since.Holed up in a hotel with 700 other stranded bods.Currently, BA are paying for hotel & food.
They are desperate to get home to their children tho`.

CEM Apr 20th 2010 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Wilgar (Post 8509399)

CEM, you are so naughty!
Yes Arch has chewed many things including the fence built to keep him in!!!!!!!!!!!

Clever dog!

Hope your friends get home soon - looks like we're going to be on tv in the uk today, talking about our 'ordeal'. How am I going to make it sound bad??!!

DeadVim Apr 20th 2010 11:41 am

Originally Posted by CEM (Post 8509271)
Well I think it's still breathing. Is that the same thing??

It lives ... some kind of voodoo ...

Originally Posted by Wilgar (Post 8509399)
<snip>

Your name rings a bell. we may have met in a past life ;)

JackTheLad Apr 20th 2010 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Wilgar (Post 8509402)
Finally tracked down our friends visiting from UK.They flew out of SYD Thurs pm and have been in Bangkok ever since.Holed up in a hotel with 700 other stranded bods.Currently, BA are paying for hotel & food.

Interesting question though. Knowing there are 1000's of UK doctors and surgeons stranded abroad, if you have a pre-booked flight to the UK, would you still take it and bump them off the flight, when flights resume?

paulry Apr 20th 2010 12:40 pm

It's interesting that BA and Quantas appear to be paying for the stranded people. Malaysia Airlines is offering nothing. Fortunately we don't need help in KL as we are staying with relatives.

But edest son has important exams next week. Thinking of calling the British High Comm tomorrow to find out if there are any UK initiatives available to help get us back home in time.

Alfresco Apr 20th 2010 12:45 pm

Iberia told us they won't pay for any costs. Our holiday insurance says we are not covered either for extra accomodation and travel costs.

So far it has cost us about £1000. :(

I'll also have to take unpaid leave as I won't have enough leave available to cover these 4 extra days before we move to Oz.

moneypenny20 Apr 20th 2010 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8509637)
It's interesting that BA and Quantas appear to be paying for the stranded people. Malaysia Airlines is offering nothing. Fortunately we don't need help in KL as we are staying with relatives.

But edest son has important exams next week. Thinking of calling the British High Comm tomorrow to find out if there are any UK initiatives available to help get us back home in time.

Have you spoken to the school? I've been reading lots of articles where there appears to be some leeway with regards students and exams.

elice_in_oz Apr 20th 2010 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8509650)
Iberia told us they won't pay for any costs.

This might have already been posted, but it's worth double checking to get some money back... Last time I looked Iberia was a European airline and Spain was in the EU ;)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8621779.stm

If a flight is cancelled, or delayed for more than five hours, in Europe, there are strict European rules in place, which mean that the airline is obliged to provide assistance at the airport. This includes supplying meals and refreshments, along with accommodation if an overnight stay is required.

Bermudashorts Apr 20th 2010 1:05 pm

We were quite happy to rebook because we need to make the validation trip at some point, but in case we could not find suitable flights I asked about refunds and Cathay Pacific were trying to get out of that! I had to quote EU Regulation something or other. We were not asking for any compensation, just a refund and they were trying to dodge it.

CEM Apr 20th 2010 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8509666)
Have you spoken to the school? I've been reading lots of articles where there appears to be some leeway with regards students and exams.

This seems to be right. We've heard that some schools are rescheduling exams. There are so many kids in the same position. Our girls' school has set up another portal so they can give work, study material and support and the girls can then email the work back to school for marking.

Worrying time for the kids though.