Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK & Australian Music

UK & Australian Music

Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK & Australian Music

Originally Posted by willamos
And don't try and tell me that these forums aren't biased towards an over-praising of Australia and an undervaluing of the UK because they bloody well are.
To be honest I think the forum has been very balanced of late on the A vs B front. Of course there are the usual 'extremists' on either side but I keep seeing over and over again threads full of people with the general opinion same shit different bucket. Even in threads where there is great potential for a good old godzoners vs blighty lovers battle - like 'are uk teens really that bad'.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:21 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But MrMover forgets..
many a proud Bogan I have met lists music as one of his loves. Many a guitar - several! are laid to rest in display in a corner near an amp. It's up there with the pretend bar that is so universal.
Badge it was he who called me a bogan , not the other way round .
I am a bogan if that is what , you " New Chums" refer to as the average domestic Aussie, but im proud to be a bogan........mm
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:23 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

If people made absurd criticisms of Australia, I would argue against them. But generally people don't do that.

Far, far more often, people make absurd criticisms of the UK and totally over-the-top proclamations about the virtues of Australia.

Just the way it is.
I honestly can't think of one instance of this since you started posting. I could go and pull up a lot of posts with absurd criticisms of Aus though...
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
To be honest I think the forum has been very balanced of late on the A vs B front. Of course there are the usual 'extremists' on either side but I keep seeing over and over again threads full of people with the general opinion same shit different bucket. Even in threads where there is great potential for a good old godzoners vs blighty lovers battle - like 'are uk teens really that bad'.
Precisely.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Badge it was he who called me a bogan , not the other way round .
I am a bogan if that is what , you " New Chums" refer to as the average domestic Aussie, but im proud to be a bogan........mm
I know mate. Wasn't addressed at you personally. I was just using your quote constructively- and I hope - with a bit of a joke thrown in. The joke being that many a bogan is an self-confessed muso.
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
How many times does it need to be said.

It takes all sorts mate. There are plenty of posts which rubbish Australia. There is normally at least one-four campaigners at any one time. In recent times they have been a bit quieter.

The difference is that the people who tend to rubbish Australia do come over as needing medication at times.

The people who rubbish the UK tend to do it in very measured, specific doses - (to keep the medication theme going) and as I've said before can normally be disregarded.
Don't agree at all there.

The difference is that those who rubbish the UK garner more support and acceptance from the wider BE community than those who rubbish Australia do.

Those who criticise Australia get jumped on quite fast a lot of the time by an angry mob and it is their attempts to defend themselves (after being backed into a corner by said mob) that likely makes them appear to ''need medication''.

Also, most BE posters are not in the UK. Some are, yes, but most are not. Those who attack Australia have the added issue of being IN Australia right now; i.e. a place they do not like.

Those who attack the UK are attacking it from a distance and so are likely less passionate because they don't care so much now they are not there.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:27 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Have tried the MBTUK forum lately ,? some cringe worthy threads in there...mm
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Don't agree at all there.

The difference is that those who rubbish the UK garner more support and acceptance from the wider BE community than those who rubbish Australia do.

Those who criticise Australia get jumped on quite fast a lot of the time by an angry mob and it is their attempts to defend themselves (after being backed into a corner by said mob) that likely makes them appear to ''need medication''.

Also, most BE posters are not in the UK. Some are, yes, but most are not. Those who attack Australia have the added issue of being IN Australia right now; i.e. a place they do not like.

Those who attack the UK are attacking it from a distance and so are likely less passionate because they don't care so much now they are not there.
This is just wrong. I've seen people torn apart in mbttuk for a minor negative UK comment. There are a huge amount of posters uncomplimentary to Australia in the Barbie.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:28 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, getting back on topic:

Is anyone able to offer a reason for the lack of an Australian Pink Floyd, Radiohead or Blur?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Anyway, getting back on topic:

Is anyone able to offer a reason for the lack of an Australian Pink Floyd, Radiohead or Blur?
Is anyone able to offer a reason for the lack of a Kenyan Pink Floyd or a Croatian Blur?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kporte
Is anyone able to offer a reason for the lack of a Kenyan Pink Floyd or a Croatian Blur?
So Australia and Kenya are comparable are they, kporte? And you don't think that was a slight silly thing to say at all?!

Sounds a bit keen to defend Australia, that remark.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:32 am
Account Closed

So Australia and Kenya are comparable are they, kporte? And you don't think that was a slight silly thing to say at all?!
I am just using your technique for balance you applied in another thread. Britain has 3 times the population of Aus so they aren't comparable either?
Africa has a thriving musical culture and Kenya has a population of 32m by the way, don't be so condescending...

Last edited by kporte; Sep 19th 2009 at 5:34 am.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:34 am
Banned

I am just using your technique for balance you applied in another thread. Britain has 3 times the population of Aus so they aren't comparable either?
I think you know full well what I have been driving at here and you are purposefully missing the point.

Australia is a supposedly advanced, English-speaking, western nation. It has a culture derived in many respects from Europe and America.

As such, it is open for comparison when it comes to musical output.

If you want me to believe you are not just another Australian apologist you'll perhaps need to be able to engage in a discussion such as this without recourse to ridiculing what is a perfectly valid debate.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:36 am
Banned

See how any discussion where people like you can't promote Australia (as you obviously know you can't when it comes to music) hits a wall pretty fast? As soon as people feel that their beloved Aussie-land is going to lose the debate they want it closed.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 5:36 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Is anyone able to offer a reason for the lack of a Kenyan Pink Floyd
The lack of a decent guitar shop in downtown Nairobi?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.