Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK & Australian Music

UK & Australian Music

Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:39 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK & Australian Music

This is not intended as a thread for 'bashing' Australia, though I am sure some of Australia's more sensitive fans will interpret it as such.

I am intending to begin an open and thorough debate.

My question is simply this: Why has Australia produced so little in the way of popular music when compared to the UK or USA?

I know that the obvious response to this is lower population, but I don't think that adequately accounts for it.

I mean there has been so much great, great music that has emerged from the UK and this shows no signs of abating. I know that Australia HAS produced successful artists but they are very few in number and arguably not of the same calibre in any case. In terms of international success I can think only of INXS, AC/DC and Kylie. Talking purely personally I only really rate Augie March, Lior and Sia. Cold Chisel weren't bad though.

Once again, I am not attempting to put Australia down here. I am merely making what I consider to be a fair observation and am curious to discuss the possible reasons for this. Also, if there are artists out there from Australia that I am not presently aware of I'd be interested to be introduced to them.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:47 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK & Australian Music

Originally Posted by willamos
This is not intended as a thread for 'bashing' Australia, though I am sure some of Australia's more sensitive fans will interpret it as such.

My question is simply this: Why has Australia produced so little in the way of popular music when compared to the UK or USA?

I know that the obvious response to this is lower population, but I don't think that adequately accounts for it.

I mean there has been so much great, great music that has emerged from the UK and this shows no signs of abating. I know that Australia HAS produced successful artists but they are very few in number and arguably not of the same calibre in any case. In terms of international success I can think only of INXS, AC/DC and Kylie. Talking purely personally I only really rate Augie March, Lior and Sia. Cold Chisel weren't bad though.

Once again, I am not attempting to put Australia down here. I am merely making what I consider to be a fair observation and am curious to discuss the possible reasons for this. Also, if there are artists out there from Australia that I am not presently aware of I'd be interested to be introduced to them.
What about French music? Why are you saying this is only an Australian problem.

Sorry just trying to highlight a previous point you were trying to make.

Anyway, I would say Australia's role in history would have something to do with it here. UK, being in Europe has embraced centuries of popular music (not pop of course). Therefore it has a culture of music. Australia being where it is (miles from anywhere) I would also think plays a role. As you say population too. Remember, there may be 21m people right now, but that wasn't the case 40 years ago when British music began its popular revolution.

I think considering all this Australia has actually been punching above its weight. It would be obvious to say that English speaking countries are more likely to have a higher chance of global success in music, so you could also ask why Canada and South Africa do not have hugely popular artists (or many of them anyway)
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:50 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders

Anyway, I would say Australia's role in history would have something to do with it here. UK, being in Europe has embraced centuries of popular music (not pop of course). Therefore it has a culture of music. Australia being where it is (miles from anywhere) I would also think plays a role. As you say population too. Remember, there may be 21m people right now, but that wasn't the case 40 years ago when British music began its popular revolution.

I think considering all this Australia has actually been punching above its weight. It would be obvious to say that English speaking countries are more likely to have a higher chance of global success in music, so you could also ask why Canada and South Africa do not have hugely popular artists (or many of them anyway)
My OP mentioned three nations. A little different to the other thread you refer to.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders

Err; Bryan Adams, Michael Bublé, Céline Dion, K. D. Lang, Loreena McKennitt, Feist, Ron Sexsmith, Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morrisette, Robbie Robertson, Rufus Wainwright.

Just off the top of my head. Not saying I rate all of the above highly, but it's a lot more than Australia.

Last edited by willamos; Sep 19th 2009 at 2:57 am.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

What about The Angels, Midnight Oil, Jet, Hoodoo Gurus, Silverchair, Wolfmother, Powderfinger? Divinyls? The Veronicas? Choirboys, Men at Work? Hunters & Collectors? and (whispers) .........Savage Garden?

I think they punch well above their weight given the population and geography, as does NZ.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 2:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SamSi
What about The Angels, Midnight Oil, Jet, Hoodoo Gurus, Silverchair, Wolfmother, Powderfinger? Divinyls? The Veronicas? Choirboys, Men at Work? Hunters & Collectors? and (whispers) .........Savage Garden?

I think they punch well above their weight given the population and geography, as does NZ.
Not saying there aren't lots of Aussie bands. But how many of your list there are internationally recognised/successful/respected?

Few have heard of Powderfinger or Silverchair outside Australia. A Hunters & Collectors hit like Holy Grail or Throw Your Arms Around Me is barely known outside Australia.

What have the Divinyls done? I Touch Myself?! That's one track and it's not even that good.

I think Wolfmother are slightly known in the UK.

Last edited by willamos; Sep 19th 2009 at 3:00 am.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:04 am
Banned

My point is that there are hardly any really great Australian bands and very very few that anyone has even heard of outside Australia.

I do not think you can list the Divinyls or Savage Garden as being of a high calibre.

Hunters & Collectors have two decent tracks and that's it. Men At Work? Down Under?! Come on now.

Midnight Oil are hardly U2.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Not saying there aren't lots of Aussie bands. But how many of your list there are internationally recognised/successful/respected?
All of them. I intentionally didn't mention others who weren't, e.g. Noiseworks.

Also left off Crowded House as origin split with NZ.

Dude, you asked a question - I answered it. See ya!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SamSi
All of them. I intentionally didn't mention others who weren't, e.g. Noiseworks.

Also left off Crowded House as origin split with NZ.

Dude, you asked a question - I answered it. See ya!
None of those bands are comparable to The Beatles, Led Zep, Queen, The Rolling Stones, Oasis, Blur, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Suede, Radiohead, Florence and the Machine, The Verve, Pink Floyd etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Not comparable in any way.

If you think they are, you don't know music very well.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recognise about 4 of the Canadian artists you mention and I spent a while living there, I would hazard a guess and say quite a lot wouldn't recognise some of the names you list so hardly internationally recognised. UK music is far superior, end of.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Few have heard of Powderfinger or Silverchair outside Australia. A Hunters & Collectors hit like Holy Grail or Throw Your Arms Around Me is barely known outside Australia.

What have the Divinyls done? I Touch Myself?! That's one track and it's not even that good.

I think Wolfmother are slightly known in the UK.
No idea - mate do you have a theory?

All I know is that some international acts are Australian and I hadn't even realised they were.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:18 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
No idea - mate do you have a theory?

All I know is that some international acts are Australian and I hadn't even realised they were.
He has a theory that everything Australian is shit and here is another post to try and prove it.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

None of those bands are comparable to The Beatles, Led Zep, Queen, The Rolling Stones, Oasis, Blur, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Suede, Radiohead, Florence and the Machine, The Verve, Pink Floyd etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Not comparable in any way.

If you think they are, you don't know music very well.
That's moot. Most of the people I know who are really into music avoid all the well-known stuff. I'm surprised you even mention the list above and then say people don't know much about music.

I love most of the above and yes, I'm the first to admit I am not an expert on music!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by northernbird
I don't recognise about 4 of the Canadian artists you mention and I spent a while living there, I would hazard a guess and say quite a lot wouldn't recognise some of the names you list so hardly internationally recognised. UK music is far superior, end of.
I know UK music is the best. Was simply pointing out that Canada has contributed more to international popular music than Australia has.

Who on the list did you not recognise?

Last edited by willamos; Sep 19th 2009 at 3:22 am.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 3:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That's moot. Most of the people I know who are really into music avoid all the well-known stuff. I'm surprised you even mention the list above and then say people don't know much about music.

I love most of the above and yes, I'm the first to admit I am not an expert on music!
But if I listed hardly known British stuff it wouldn't make my point would it.

My point was that trying to defend Aussie music by mentioning the lowly likes of the Divinyls and Men at Work and even Hunters and Collectors is silly and kind of makes my point for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.