Reload this Page >

UK & Australian Music

UK & Australian Music

Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:18 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK & Australian Music

Originally Posted by willamos
By that strange logic, someone who is interested in AFL shouldn't read about it in a book, magazine or newspaper or even watch it because AFL is meant to be played.

Silly thing to say.
But you are suggesting unless one reads about music they are ignorant about it. I'm pretty sure Mozart never read Mojo...
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
True one Adelaide suburb, has produced an exceptional , HIP HOP, group .
Google up " THE HILL TOP HOODS " ,,, chek it out..........mm
Ah, no, they are NOT exceptional. I am interested in finding out more about Australian Hip Hop, but The Hilltop Hoods are not doing it for me. Is there an Australian equivalent to Dizzee Rascal for instance ?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

And how does someone living in Australian suburbia with responsibilities inc kids discover music the way you propose?
In Perth, you listen to RTR: http://www.rtrfm.com.au
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My comparison was.........?
Comparing reading about music which is generally listened to (apart from concerts obviously) to comparing reading about a sport which is nearly always (apart from a radio broadcast) watched! I can't see the logic in your comparison at all, but hey I am not some intelligent muso so maybe I am somehow inferior in my thinking.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:48 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

And how does someone living in Australian suburbia with responsibilities inc kids discover music the way you propose?

And how come without those magazines I would not have heard of countless excellent artists and bands over the past fifteen to twenty years? According to you those magazines only feature the likes of Take That and Maroon 5 which is stupid.
No I did not! Do not misquote me! Or I will report you to the mods!

As I said, for those who live ruraly, there is radio available. If you read all of those publications then you will be all too aware of how each one of them contradicts each other on their opinions on music.

You cannot seem to accept that there are people out there that can have a broader knowledge of music that do not get their knowledge or taste from magazines. reading magazines about music does not make you an expert, it makes you a music snob! The best bands that I have seen live have sometimes never had a mention in any of those mags. By you limiting yourself to music publications you are also limiting yourself to lots of other bands and artists that do not have the sort of money they need to get that type of coverage.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
reading magazines about music does not make you an expert, it makes you a music snob!
Agreed, the OP is is the dude who was complaining that no one in Australia cares about who is going to be the Christmas Number One.

Anyone who thinks Australia doesn't produce internationally acclaimed musicians and bands proves they know nothing about music.

So Willamos has proved not only is he a music snob but he is a music snob who doesn't know much about music.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:10 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Agreed, the OP is is the dude who was complaining that no one in Australia cares about who is going to be the Christmas Number One.

Anyone who thinks Australia doesn't produce internationally acclaimed musicians and bands proves they know nothing about music.

So Willamos has proved not only is he a music snob but he is a music snob who doesn't know much about music.
...and new musical sounds as well.
Attached Thumbnails UK & Australian Music-rolf.jpg  
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:17 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and new musical sounds as well.
But hey, Rolf Harris' parents were Welsh, so he must therefore be Welsh, no?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:33 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I like to pick music I like, not some "Emperor's new clothes" that a pretentious journo deems flavour of the month. That reference to Emperor reminds me how much I enjoy Cat Empire. Nothing wrong with reading music mags of course, but frankly I don't care what anyone thinks of my eclectic musical tastes. God forbid someone would listen to what they think they should be listening to rather than what they enjoy.....
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:56 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Personally I like to pick music I like, not some "Emperor's new clothes" that a pretentious journo deems flavour of the month. That reference to Emperor reminds me how much I enjoy Cat Empire. Nothing wrong with reading music mags of course, but frankly I don't care what anyone thinks of my eclectic musical tastes. God forbid someone would listen to what they think they should be listening to rather than what they enjoy.....
one of the best live acts (in the world) going at the moment in my opinion!
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

one of the best live acts (in the world) going at the moment in my opinion!
never heard of them
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:58 am
I'm Old Gregg!

By that strange logic, someone who is interested in AFL shouldn't read about it in a book, magazine or newspaper or even watch it because AFL is meant to be played.

Silly thing to say.
Yes, but under your logic you are suggesting that someone like Leigh Matthews could not be an expert on AFL unless he reads all the AFL magazines. Does this now highlight enough to you how preposterous your arrogance towards musical tastes is?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:00 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by northernbird
never heard of them
download it. Probably start off with one of their popular songs to get you into their sound like Sly. Then if you like that see if you can see them live, very funky and dynamic band!

PS. How did you go on the quiz today?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

download it. Probably start off with one of their popular songs to get you into their sound like Sly. Then if you like that see if you can see them live, very funky and dynamic band!

PS. How did you go on the quiz today?
Look, me and bcworld have openly admitted to liking Steps, there is no way back for me
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:11 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by northernbird
Look, me and bcworld have openly admitted to liking Steps, there is no way back for me
well even Cat Empire has a certain pop sensibility charm to it, enough to get you bubblegum pop fans enchanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.