Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK & Australian Music

UK & Australian Music

Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:47 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK & Australian Music

Originally Posted by willamos
Oh, you are silly enough to think that Rufus Wainwright gets discussed in Smash Hits are you? Shows what you (don't) know.
you don't understand humour, do you?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

My question is simply this: Why has Australia produced so little in the way of popular music when compared to the UK or USA?

In terms of international success I can think only of INXS, AC/DC
Stop right there...AC/DC is the Ozzie gift to the world and is worth a thousand good bands...Rock on ..
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rajj
Stop right there...AC/DC is the Ozzie gift to the world and is worth a thousand good bands...Rock on ..
Ermmm ... expect that they're all from Glasgow.

Not wanting to bolster the O.P.'s plainly shit-stirring argument or anything ...
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:38 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

Not wanting to bolster the O.P.'s plainly shit-stirring argument or anything ...
but under that argument the Bee Gees are Aussie then, which they're not
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

Ahhh the "Angus YOUNG" ploy eh? aallrigt you can have one Geordie but say that to the average melbournian and be prepared to get decked!!
By the way a few years ago they had a street named after them in the city.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:49 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rajj
Ahhh the "Angus YOUNG" ploy eh? aallrigt you can have one Geordie but say that to the average melbournian and be prepared to get decked!!
By the way a few years ago they had a street named after them in the city.
Acca Dacca Avenue... has a certain ring to it.... or was it.

That Brit Band with the Aussie drummer Street?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:52 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
but under that argument the Bee Gees are Aussie then, which they're not
As the Bee Gees were born on The Isle of Man how do you work that out?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
As the Bee Gees were born on The Isle of Man how do you work that out?
Im pretty sure they were born in Australia somewhere but went back to England as kids.

Not that it makes any difference to my day................
Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Im pretty sure they were born in Australia somewhere but went back to England as kids.

Not that it makes any difference to my day................
They were born in the Isle of Man, moved to Australia in 1958 and back to the UK in 1967.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Acca Dacca Avenue... has a certain ring to it.... or was it.

That Brit Band with the Aussie drummer Street?

There you go - pretty much dead bang in the middle of the city.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACDC_Lane,_Melbourne
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
They were born in the Isle of Man, moved to Australia in 1958 and back to the UK in 1967.

Those Bee Gees knew summink methinks......

Same reason AC.DC had to get the hell outta Oz to have a career beyond 5 minutes.

Oz immigration, border control and work relations would not let AC.DC play any dates back in Oz once.....they just stormed the UK and went back to Oz for some RnR and 'cos Cliff didn't have a work visa they said he could not do his job in Oz....completely forgetting that had he done his job with the rest of the band some 1000's more would get a job.

I don't think any of AC/DC members live in Oz any more.....aside Bon who is permanently RIP in Freemantle.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

This is not intended as a thread for 'bashing' Australia, though I am sure some of Australia's more sensitive fans will interpret it as such.

I am intending to begin an open and thorough debate.

My question is simply this: Why has Australia produced so little in the way of popular music when compared to the UK or USA?

I know that the obvious response to this is lower population, but I don't think that adequately accounts for it.

I mean there has been so much great, great music that has emerged from the UK and this shows no signs of abating. I know that Australia HAS produced successful artists but they are very few in number and arguably not of the same calibre in any case. In terms of international success I can think only of INXS, AC/DC and Kylie. Talking purely personally I only really rate Augie March, Lior and Sia. Cold Chisel weren't bad though.

Once again, I am not attempting to put Australia down here. I am merely making what I consider to be a fair observation and am curious to discuss the possible reasons for this. Also, if there are artists out there from Australia that I am not presently aware of I'd be interested to be introduced to them.
Being a musician myself this has come up in the band room many a time. You know the whole trip from the dole office to being a rock star as sung in the oasis songs, the working class guy with nothing to lose, that doesnt have the same sting over here, people are generally better off and dont write music to get themselves out of a perceived shi* way of life.

The other one is that in Australia there is good money and for some reason minor adulation to play music in a cover band. I have seen some seriously talented musicians who would rather play to 200 people a night for $300 guaranteed than take a punt to write an album and tour it. This has been the case since the 70's, you can out a cover act together in Australia and get 3-4 nights a week and make a living, you cant do that in the UK, therefore it attracts so many musicians, especially in Melbourne to that scene and they never leave.

Aside from that, Australians follow the US and not the UK when it comes to music and therefore country gets a much bigger profile and wrap. I bet there are much bigger country acts out of Aus than the UK, the bands here either want to sound like Nickelback or Keith Urban and have little interest in the block party and indie style scene.

But i think the biggest one is the lifestlye in Australia, when i was in the UK, the kids in my brothers schools were learning the guitar, piano, recorder (aged 4-5) and spend lots of hours doint it. My mates kids here are playing Auskick, cricket, football (world game, refuse to call soccer) so perhaps thats alsa a part.

Although I sure a parent will disagree with the last comment and tell me there kids and schools play everything too.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:28 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
Being a musician myself this has come up in the band room many a time. You know the whole trip from the dole office to being a rock star as sung in the oasis songs, the working class guy with nothing to lose, that doesnt have the same sting over here, people are generally better off and dont write music to get themselves out of a perceived shi* way of life.

The other one is that in Australia there is good money and for some reason minor adulation to play music in a cover band. I have seen some seriously talented musicians who would rather play to 200 people a night for $300 guaranteed than take a punt to write an album and tour it. This has been the case since the 70's, you can out a cover act together in Australia and get 3-4 nights a week and make a living, you cant do that in the UK, therefore it attracts so many musicians, especially in Melbourne to that scene and they never leave.

Aside from that, Australians follow the US and not the UK when it comes to music and therefore country gets a much bigger profile and wrap. I bet there are much bigger country acts out of Aus than the UK, the bands here either want to sound like Nickelback or Keith Urban and have little interest in the block party and indie style scene.

But i think the biggest one is the lifestlye in Australia, when i was in the UK, the kids in my brothers schools were learning the guitar, piano, recorder (aged 4-5) and spend lots of hours doint it. My mates kids here are playing Auskick, cricket, football (world game, refuse to call soccer) so perhaps thats alsa a part.

Although I sure a parent will disagree with the last comment and tell me there kids and schools play everything too.
You see, apologists? I asked a valid question that someone who is very interested in music and knows a fair bit about it would ask.

Sorry that you felt your beloved Australia was under-fire.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:29 am
I'm Old Gregg!

You see, apologists? I asked a valid question that someone who is very interested in music and knows a fair bit about it would ask.

Sorry that you felt your beloved Australia was under-fire.
I know a fair bit about music and am a muso myself, but just because I do not share the same opinion as you my views are dismissed. Just because you read "magazines" Will, does not make you an expert
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I know a fair bit about music and am a muso myself, but just because I do not share the same opinion as you my views are dismissed. Just because you read "magazines" Will, does not make you an expert
Ive heard youre a real wizz on the Javanese nose flute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.