Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it too soon for a Christmas thread?

Is it too soon for a Christmas thread?

Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it too soon for a Christmas thread?

YES IT IS FAR TOO SOON!!!!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 1:14 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Peepster
I know it's only August but can we talk about Christmas cos I've had the most excellent news that my mother-in-law isn't coming! Hooray!!!! Can finally look forward to Christmas for once without that feeling of impending doom....

What will you all be doing? What's Christmas Day like in your house?
No it's not too soon got the kids presents sorted already!!

I absolutely LOVE christmas it's my favourite time of year

I'm counting down the days we're heading home to Scotland for 5 weeks, leave here 6th Dec. It will be baltic but I don't care cos I'm getting to see my Mammy

x
Old Aug 19th 2009, 1:34 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Def too soon to be talking about the C word I hate Christmas, especially now that it's starts in September and we hear nothing else until the damn thing is over. The only good thing this year is that on the premise of emigrating next year we've managed to fob both families off with 'we're staying in london as it would be unfair to favour one family [in scotland] over the other [in ireland]' If we don't actually move by Christmas next year we'll be in for a bollicking but I'll worry about that next year....

Looking forward to lower key Christmases in Oz.

Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Coles have got Christmas choccies on display in Mt Barker, SA. And so it begins!!!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

a am looking forward to christmas so we will be in temoprary accommodation and our christmas tree will still be on the high seas but after being married for 6 years it will be the first christmas me and the oh actually see eachother, no one else to think about pleasing. i think it will be odd though, i like dark cold and wet christmas times.

i was walking down the high street today in bognor regis and saw into a card shop that they had their christams cards out and another one had next years calendars, its way to early. the children are back to school in two weeks it will start then.

i have sorted out my neices christmas presents for leaving behind for them.

all in all im feeling good about it this year, until the day that is when i realise i really miss my sister and the girls
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:50 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sormesher
a am looking forward to christmas so we will be in temoprary accommodation and our christmas tree will still be on the high seas but after being married for 6 years it will be the first christmas me and the oh actually see eachother, no one else to think about pleasing. i think it will be odd though, i like dark cold and wet christmas times.

i was walking down the high street today in bognor regis and saw into a card shop that they had their christams cards out and another one had next years calendars, its way to early. the children are back to school in two weeks it will start then.

i have sorted out my neices christmas presents for leaving behind for them.

all in all im feeling good about it this year, until the day that is when i realise i really miss my sister and the girls
Haven't heard the first stormbird yet.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Well for the for the first time in five years we are not spending it with all the family (especially after last year!) but we booked way back in February a unit at Noosa and spent most of this year paying for it!!

Be so nice to not have to drive christmas day all over the place, we can relax with a bottle of bubbly watch the kids unwrap their presents (and then spend the rest of the day on the beach or by the river).

Well thats the plan anyway
Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:50 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody depressing time of the year
Old Aug 19th 2009, 3:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

They are already setting up the Christmas displays in David Jones in Toowong
Old Aug 19th 2009, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

What will you all be doing? What's Christmas Day like in your house?
Getting the hell out of OZ I HATE christmas in OZ - bloody orrible

Off to grey grim UK See family, feel cold weather instead of intense heat, see shops that have stuff you might actually want to buy, go mad admiring lights and decorations, might indulge in a carol service without people smoking, drinking and holding fluro glo sticks . Enjoy some christmas atmosphere, sleep in instead of full sun at 5.00 am, hopefully see a bit of frost, go to the pub, buy a curry, watch the family antics over a turkey, watch some watchable TV, walk in cool fresh air instead of sticking to the humidity, enjoy the humour, hit next, zara... enjoy people dressing up instead of yobbing out, cant bloody wait
Old Aug 19th 2009, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I prefer Christmas here. The only thing missing is my parents, brothers and their families.

I've found plenty of buzz here in Vic. Road to Bethlehem, Carols by Candlelight, Santa on a fire truck throwing out lollies, Santa delivering gifts on a fire truck, traditional Xmas songs played in shopping centres, easy food shopping, easy Christmas shopping, BBQ work parties, work parties in the park/beach, traditional parties in the pub/restaurant and the ability to use outdoor toys immediately.

The long daylight hours are a blessing (more daylight) and a curse (have to wait till about 9.30pm to see Christmas lights on people's houses).

For a cold Christmas we usually do Christmas in July up in the snow (I never experienced that in the UK).

Just as an observation (and IMHO) I think Christmas in Aus is more focused on kids whereas in the UK it focuses on adults* and kids.

* Snogging the good looking secretary at the Xmas party and all that.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:49 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think I prefer Christmas here. The only thing missing is my parents, brothers and their families.

I've found plenty of buzz here in Vic. Road to Bethlehem, Carols by Candlelight, Santa on a fire truck throwing out lollies, Santa delivering gifts on a fire truck, traditional Xmas songs played in shopping centres, easy food shopping, easy Christmas shopping, BBQ work parties, work parties in the park/beach, traditional parties in the pub/restaurant and the ability to use outdoor toys immediately.

The long daylight hours are a blessing (more daylight) and a curse (have to wait till about 9.30pm to see Christmas lights on people's houses).

For a cold Christmas we usually do Christmas in July up in the snow (I never experienced that in the UK).

Just as an observation (and IMHO) I think Christmas in Aus is more focused on kids whereas in the UK it focuses on adults* and kids.

* Snogging the good looking secretary at the Xmas party and all that.
I would suggest bringing back the old pagan celebration of the days getting longer which was pinched by the Christians, but it would have to be moved to June, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense. Not that that would bother a religion of course, but at least it had a specific real reason to celebrate.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:12 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
that's what xmas is about isn't it, the kiddies!
Don't be so silly Louise Christmas is about being rolling drunk at 11am because the cheap bucks fizz sculled back whilst opening presents goes straight to your head. It's also about eating vast quantities of obscure things like smoked salmon pinwheels. It's then about everyone being gassed into unconsciousness by each others silent but deadly farting post-dinner.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I must have been more drunk each Christmas day than I thought. Ok, lets replace Nazerus with 'Zulu'
Don't throw those bloody spears at me!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be so silly Louise Christmas is about being rolling drunk at 11am because the cheap bucks fizz sculled back whilst opening presents goes straight to your head. It's also about eating vast quantities of obscure things like smoked salmon pinwheels. It's then about everyone being gassed into unconsciousness by each others silent but deadly farting post-dinner.
You paint such a charming picture!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.